Is XF2 freezing addon development?

• Admin

Alfa1

Administrator
XenForo 2.0 previews are coming this year. It's unclear when XF 2.0 will actually be released, but there will be a lot of beta and RC testing periods. I would not be surprised if XF 2 Gold will be released next year.

Meanwhile it seems to me that a lot of the major addon developers have gone into hibernation. Release frequency has slowed down or has even halted. This is probably not all related to the coming of XenForo 2, but I'd guess that it plays a large factor for many developers.

It also seems to have affected XenForo adoption as XF is now loosing marketshare for the first time.

Do you see a slowdown in addon releases?
To what extent do you think XF2 is a factor?
Do you think XF2 was announced to early in this regard?
Will XF1.6 help XenForo regain momentum.

we_are_borg

Administrator
What you see is that add-on developers are indeed slowing down development (not everyone) or are putting request to the next generation. Xenforo like most announced this to early they should have waited till they had screenshots so alpha release somewhere near that. What is happening now that websites stagnate major site cant jump to version 2 straight away they need themes and add-ons that work on that version. To make this happen faster is by giving access to early builds so people can learn.

1.6 will not change this at all developers are watching and holding new stuff.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
That's why Keir, Mike, et al should be laying out some kind of groundwork for the developers --- so that they can move in the direction of creating new stuff for release when XF 2 finally comes out.

doubt

Tazmanian
This is probably not all related to the coming of XenForo 2,
No, it's not XenForo 2, it's simply Xenforo.
That script stuck on a basic level without the hope of any advancement.

Adam H

** Retired **
I think the slow down is more of a case of the addons released and that are still supported do what they are suppose to and no need to extend something that works, obviously large amounts of addons now fall under a couple of roofs doesnt help things for the appearance of "activity".

The wider audience are just getting on with their communities now rather than obsessing over new releases , tweaking and adding further features. I also think that more and more people are finally getting the that less is more when it comes to having to support functions that get thrown in the unsupported pile or the dev goes AWOL.

That's why Keir, Mike, et al should be laying out some kind of groundwork for the developers --- so that they can move in the direction of creating new stuff for release when XF 2 finally comes out.
I see the fact that they havent engaged with the developers ( or maybe they have ? but not public knowledge ) is a sign that its not at the stage of being 100% sure that something major wouldnt change. Id be very surprised if we see XF2 this year considering we are in April already, we'll have to wait and see.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I see the fact that they havent engaged with the developers ( or maybe they have ? but not public knowledge ) is a sign that its not at the stage of being 100% sure that something major wouldnt change. Id be very surprised if we see XF2 this year considering we are in April already, we'll have to wait and see.

Well, my comment is partly based on the assumption that they are still on track for a release this year...

In what way does it suck?
He said STUCK not SUCK

There is some truth to that.

Xon

Developer
There are a couple big-name add-ons which badly need a rewrite which are architecturally the same since pre-XF1.2 days, and this hurts performance and features because of this.

XenForo 2.0 previews are coming this year.
I honestly doubt XF2.0 will have previews out this year.

The Sandman

Administrator
TBH, I think the current state of affairs with XenForo add-ons is multi-factorial and not entirely due to the inevitable arrival of XF 2.0 (which we all knew would be coming with or without the early heads up from the developers).

Danielx64

Developer
Well, my comment is partly based on the assumption that they are still on track for a release this year...

He said STUCK not SUCK

There is some truth to that.
Sorry, today just haven't been normal for me today but I will be back tomorrow.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
TBH, I think the current state of affairs with XenForo add-ons is multi-factorial and not entirely due to the inevitable arrival of XF 2.0 (which we all knew would be coming with or without the early heads up from the developers).

There is some truth to that as well I think. For starters, many mods are out there already. What we don't see much of in that regard are mods that improve on other mods.

rafalp

Desu Ex
No, it's not XenForo 2, it's simply Xenforo.
You know, I actually remember how five years ago somebody on Admin Extra said that all XenForo will be is going to be basic forum software with like button, but I cant find this post now that it was merged into TAZ.

GhettoChild

Enthusiast
I can't speak for everyone. For myself, I'm more keen on having developers create custom add-on's for me rather than loading-up on add-on's that offer no competitive advantages for my site.

Using standard add-on's does nothing to enhance the user experience for members over any of my competitors.

I would rather come-up with a creative solution that will make my site unique.

I don't want my Xenforo site to be another cookie cutter. I'm trying to build an advertising platform like nothing anyone has ever seen.

Stocking-up on generic add-on's is just not going to cut it for my needs.

I'm excited about the API on X2. I think this will go along way to help with custom development.

Joe.

Adherent
Meanwhile it seems to me that a lot of the major addon developers have gone into hibernation. Release frequency has slowed down or has even halted. This is probably not all related to the coming of XenForo 2, but I'd guess that it plays a large factor for many developers.
Not sure why it would slow down the developers of paid add-ons. If they produce a great product, those of us still on 1.x.x (which is 100% of XF license holders at the moment) will potentially buy it and the developers will be compensated for their hard work. Win/win for all parties involved. Lets live in the present and not let the uncertain future stifle our creativity.

GhettoChild

Enthusiast
I would think XF2 is causing people to delay some custom development projects.

A lot add-on's originate as custom work performed for a specific site or as add-on requests on the Xenforo forum. With permission, some of those custom add-on's become mainstream add-on's.

I think you're seeing hesitation from forum owners to invest huge amounts of money on custom add-on's knowing they will have to be redesigned from scratch when XF2 is released.

Add-on's are only being developed if there's a large enough demand from enough admins to do the work.

XF2 has put a dent in forum owners willing to risk $1000's of dollars on XF 1.5 add-on's to only have to spend the money a 2nd time 2 years later when the XF 2 API is released.

Joe.

Adherent
XF2 has put a dent in forum owners willing to risk $1000's of dollars on XF 1.5 add-on's to only have to spend the money a 2nd time 2 years later when the XF 2 API is released.
Hopefully developers will offer 2.0 upgrades for free (if the add on is released before the standard one year renewal period is up) or at a reduced price for current customers looking to renewal their licenses.

It would suck to have to buy all your add-ons all over again at full price. I'm sure that would make a lot of people want to stay on XF 1.x.x for as long as possible.

GhettoChild

Enthusiast
Hopefully developers will offer 2.0 upgrades for free (if the add on is released before the standard one year renewal period is up) or at a reduced price for current customers looking to renewal their licenses.

It would suck to have to buy all your add-ons all over again at full price. I'm sure that would make a lot of people want to stay on XF 1.x.x for as long as possible.
With the amount of work involved, that may or may not be realistic. It would depend on the plugin.

Smaller lightweight add-on's are easier to cover under existing agreements.

Applications like Showcase, XenCentral, Articles or Classifieds would require a massive amount of work to move them over the XF2.

We won't have any developers on the platform if they feel they are not going to be fairly compensated for their work.

Alfa1

Administrator
I would rather come-up with a creative solution that will make my site unique.
There are quite a few non-public addons around. It makes sense to share them with other webmasters outside of your niche in order to recoup some of the costs. That's what I do.

Chris D

XenForo Developer
I can give you some loose (but factual) stats coming out of our Resource Manager.

The average number of resources and resource updates created over the last year (2015-2016) has increased from the year before (2014-2015). An average increase of 10 new resource releases per month. 2014-2015 was actually down on average by an average of 4 resource releases per month compared to 2013-2014.

October 2015 was actually the busiest new resource release month since the RM was first opened in Jan/Feb 2012.

In case you're wondering, if you exclude the RM opening, 2012-2013 was overall the quietest period for new RM releases (this is somewhat logical if you consider the history).

Do you see a slowdown in addon releases?
Therefore, no.

To what extent do you think XF2 is a factor?
It doesn't seem to have affected anything.

Do you think XF2 was announced to early in this regard?
We've acknowledged it was on the early side, but it doesn't seem to have affected anything mentioned here. The thing to consider is that XF2 was announced in September 2014 after the release of XF 1.4. Someone suggested it should have been announced when we had screenshots or more info to give. That wouldn't have been practical because there would have been a noticeable slow down of development. We actually had no plans for XF1.5 so imagine if there had been nothing but XF 1.4 releases up to now and no mention of XF2...

Will XF1.6 help XenForo regain momentum.
Probably not. All it would do is make 2.0 take even longer.