Do you consider Xenforo modern?

• Yes

Votes: 43 72.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 27.1%

• Total voters

Uncrowned

Participant
Uncrowned made a hasty generalization. It's one thing to observe trends, and quite another to claim the trend is the rule. People and organizations promoting certain approaches, and observing trends aren't research showing tech needs to be mobile first. Especially when the qualifier "so much" is added to "research."

While 2007 through 2017 saw rapid mobile growth, it flatlined between 2017 and 2021. It increased between 2021 and 2022, but that's attributable largely to Covid-19. That's worldwide where less advanced countries phones lower the barriers to entry to greater percentages of the population. In the USA, desktop usage is larger than either mobile or tablet. The desktop is far from dead.
It certainly does not need to be mobile-first, the entire second part of my post was about how not being mobile-first is both perfectly acceptable and also works well. The item I mention is that it is hard to label software truly "modern" when it is set on older trends and platforms.

As others have stated, the primary modern internet user is on mobile and wants information fast. These are both places where Xenforo struggles and I personally find it hard to label software as modern when it isn't aimed at the current/upcoming user base. I'm not arguing that desktop is dead or end of life, but this would fall into the same idea of a new gas station opening without electric chargers or a new store starting without shipping. Those ideas work amazingly well and may even have numerous modernized systems within them, but purely aiming to place a "modern" label on those businesses would be a no for me as they are focused on the older markets.

r00t

Neophyte
Thought I'd come back to this thread, a year after posting. Some great points all round.

For my own community - I had a change of thinking. For my niche, the traditional forum works great and I ended up switching from Discourse to Xenforo, partially for selfish reasons (it's a lot easier to find a decent shared host to do all the hard admin work for me than it is to keep up with maintenance & security on a VPS required for self hosting Discourse) and despite being (compared to Xenforo) slightly old fashioned, Xenforo has been great for both SEO and my community growth (albeit very slow but I do this purely for fun not profit)

My original idea of showcasing forums running modern software to appeal to younger audiences?
Not so sure now - I think those audiences are long gone. Life got in the way of the project as is often the case with big ideas.
Content will likely remain king so that's my focus now!

It's also fair to Xenforo has come a long way since I last used it, and there are a huge number of "quality of life" features for the forum admin over Discourse which I have learned to love.

Kaelon

Adherent
Thought I'd come back to this thread, a year after posting. Some great points all round.

For my own community - I had a change of thinking. For my niche, the traditional forum works great and I ended up switching from Discourse to Xenforo, partially for selfish reasons (it's a lot easier to find a decent shared host to do all the hard admin work for me than it is to keep up with maintenance & security on a VPS required for self hosting Discourse) and despite being (compared to Xenforo) slightly old fashioned, Xenforo has been great for both SEO and my community growth (albeit very slow but I do this purely for fun not profit)

My original idea of showcasing forums running modern software to appeal to younger audiences?
Not so sure now - I think those audiences are long gone. Life got in the way of the project as is often the case with big ideas.
Content will likely remain king so that's my focus now!

It's also fair to Xenforo has come a long way since I last used it, and there are a huge number of "quality of life" features for the forum admin over Discourse which I have learned to love.

Great perspectives, all around! Glad you were able to support your community with your content, and sad to see further alignment that younger / newer audiences "are long gone." I hope there will be a way to engage these audiences in the future with long-form text-based discussion.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
While I agree with you that the "desktop is far from dead" (and I generally prefer the desktop for long-form text entry and business collaboration, not to mention gaming), the statistics don't support your view that "In the USA, desktop usage is larger than either mobile or tablet." According to StatCounter, Platform market share in the United States alone, for the month of June 2022, looks like this:
  • Mobile - 52.36%
  • Desktop - 44.50%
  • Tablet - 3.14%
This is also reinforced by Statista and validated by Capital Counselor, which aggregates a lot of investment activity in the United States on web economic frameworks and is a good reflection of how Private Equity thinks of user behavior. A few more interesting conclusions from Capital Counselor:
  • In 2021, 59% of all organic search engine results in the U.S. were mobile.
  • In 2020, 61% of all website visits came through mobile phones.
  • In 2021, 83% of Americans browsed the web primarily by using mobile phones first (but not exclusively).
  • In the United States, desktop web searches have been steadily dropping since 2011.
Mobile has long had the upper hand (since 2014) on the amount of Internet broad traffic generated - primarily due to video - but since 2018/2019, mobile devices overtook desktop as the primary - and exclusive - mode of consuming web content in the United States. And this is where forums live.

(As an aside, Capital Counselor aggregates its data from official industry reports - which it links in the footer - to Cisco, Data Reportal, Perficient, SmartInsights, SpeedTest, Statcounter, Statista, and We Are Social. The evidence is overwhelmingly aligned that in the United States, the web majority is now mobile.)
This is just one forum, so might now show much of the big picture here, but mine is currently over 77% mobile. This is up from 54% five years ago. I don't have data older than that, bit I assume it was quite low another five years earlier.