Is there a way to have a "Coming Soon! Register Now" front page?

StateDOG

New Beginnings...
My apologies if this is a dumb question. I'm re-familarizing myself with things.

Situation: I'm wanting to reboot a community on IPB (probably.... there's an outside shot I consider XF). I need to start getting it installed/configured/tweaked out in the next few days for a launch later this week. BUT... I need to make an announcement on a current board that's about to shut down. And it might get shut down before the new place is up and ready.

Is there a way to have as my front page of the forum a splash page or landing page or even front of forum with an announcement of "HEY! Glad you're here! We're getting everything in place for the big launch. It's almost ready. But in the meantime, go ahead and register HERE so you'll be ready to go when the big reveal happens!"

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Mysti

Aspirant
I was looking at IPB today and it looks like you need the Pages module. Someone more familiar with it may have more info.

I just did something similar today in XenForo. Since you said you may wind up going with it, here is the link to the tutorial there.

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
You should have an object on the left side press that and you can add widgets a text widget is easy to do

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
My apologies if this is a dumb question. I'm re-familarizing myself with things.

Situation: I'm wanting to reboot a community on IPB (probably.... there's an outside shot I consider XF). I need to start getting it installed/configured/tweaked out in the next few days for a launch later this week. BUT... I need to make an announcement on a current board that's about to shut down. And it might get shut down before the new place is up and ready.

Is there a way to have as my front page of the forum a splash page or landing page or even front of forum with an announcement of "HEY! Glad you're here! We're getting everything in place for the big launch. It's almost ready. But in the meantime, go ahead and register HERE so you'll be ready to go when the big reveal happens!"

Yeah it’s real simple. You need to make a page and make it a default so it acts as your welcome page. Then you’ll be able to edit the page. When editing the page you could add the wsyg editor block and whatever it’s called and write your info in there. Just click save. If you need to know how to make it as a homepage follow the instructions here.

Joel R

Habitué

There are a dozen ways to do this:
  • If you have Pages, you can make a Pages page as as full-page announcement. This is probably the recommended approach if you're not ready to open the rest of the community yet.
  • If you have Pages, you can make a custom block that you can add to any page.
  • If you have Forums, you can simply change the langstring or forum board name to the announcement
  • If you have Core (which everyone will always have), you can modify the guest message block
  • If you have Blogs, you can write blog posts to the countdown.
etc etc.

It depends on what apps you've purchased.