Question Is there a ghost here?

Steve

Fanatic
I was under the impression that the ghost alerts were empty alerts not an alert that comes at a later time.

The first being much harder to track down.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I was under the impression that the ghost alerts were empty alerts not an alert that comes at a later time.

The first being much harder to track down.
Yeah, that's why I took the route I did.

Danielx64

Developer
It may be too early to speak on the matter but I haven't been getting any ghost alerts or alerts for a post that been made long ago. I am still keeping an eye on the matter.

Danielx64

Developer
Yeah, I know. I'm going to use The Following addon as a starting point, simply because I know it happens with that.
Lisa, a question, is that addon the one that allows me to select what I been alerted for? Is it disabled? It may be a dumb question but I have a feeling that it may not be fully disabled. I got an alert for a topic that I haven't followed (and didn't even know that it was there). On my phone if I went to follow someone I am asked what alerts I want to receive but that doesn't happen on my computer.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Lisa, a question, is that addon the one that allows me to select what I been alerted for? Is it disabled?

It's an addon that's solely to do with the people you follow. When you select to follow someone you are given the option to follow new posts, threads they make (regardless of your other alert settings). So, regardless of whether you're following a thread or not, if someone you're following has posted it in and you have selected to be alerted when they post, you'll get an alert regardless.

Danielx64

Developer
It's an addon that's solely to do with the people you follow. When you select to follow someone you are given the option to follow new posts, threads they make (regardless of your other alert settings). So, regardless of whether you're following a thread or not, if someone you're following has posted it in and you have selected to be alerted when they post, you'll get an alert regardless.
So it should be disabled (according to the ACP)? If yes there is a problem.

Danielx64

Developer
Are you asking if we have disabled the addon? If so, no it's running.
Thank you for confirming, I was under the impression that it was disabled.

At this point I dont have anything else to report.

Danielx64

Developer
Danielx64 Can you monitor who you get a ghost alert from the next time it happens. If it is someone you follow, then go in and change your Follow settings for that person (you may have to unfollow them first and then refollow) and select not to receive alerts for posts, threads etc and see if it makes a difference.

If it's not someone you follow, please confirm that also as it'll mean I'm on the wrong track.
Ok I been getting ghost alerts but I am getting more than one. I the alert thing says that I got 11 when I really I only have 4.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Ok I been getting ghost alerts but I am getting more than one. I the alert thing says that I got 11 when I really I only have 4.
Like I said, can you confirm whether these alerts are from a person you're following or not. If yes, can you change your following settings and see if they stop. Just repeating that you're getting alerts is telling me nothing :)

Danielx64

Developer
Like I said, can you confirm whether these alerts are from a person you're following or not. If yes, can you change your following settings and see if they stop. Just repeating that you're getting alerts is telling me nothing :)
That what I been doing however I dont know where they been coming from as some of people who I am getting alerts from I don't even follow.

Tomorrow I might just get my entire list up and change then all in one hit.

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
That what I been doing however I dont know where they been coming from as some of people who I am getting alerts from I don't even follow.
Yes, but I can't see you doing it so I need confirmation by you actually telling me :D

Tomorrow I might just get my entire list up and change then all in one hit.
Could be worth doing this - just in case something has glitched somewhere. Let me know when you've done it and track it for a day or two and we'll see what happens.

Danielx64

Developer
Could be worth doing this - just in case something has glitched somewhere. Let me know when you've done it and track it for a day or two and we'll see what happens.

Ok I went over to https://theadminzone.com/account/following clicked on "Alert Preferences" made sure that all the boxes are unticked and save the changes (if needed). Some people I have no choice but to unfollow then because I was unable to change the alert preferences because I can't see their profile. On some profile clicking on "Alert Preferences" gives me "This member limits who may view their full profile".

Untitled.png

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Why should you be allowed to change preferences for someone that don't want anyone to do do?