Is the internet getting boring?

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Perhaps this is a good place to turn the discussion around. Instead of "why the internet has gotten boring" we should be discussion how we, as forum admins, can help make it less boring and more useful.

For a start, we can
  • ensure our forums offer real value to users
  • focus more on the quality of our content and less on monetization and member counts
  • stop building silos and instead broaden our communities to include "competitors"

Soulwatcher

Devotee
Unfortunately our “competitors” tend to be VerticalScope and Internet Brands...!
Unfortunately, big business will always crush the little guy and big business is all the internet is today. You can look up anything on the internet and it will produce a corporate website. And this discourages people from making websites.

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
I do believe if done thoughtfully this could put forums firmly back on the map.
With respect, I offer that with a bit of proper planning the tools are available to do something that leans toward this idea of inclusion.

Wikipedia has a list of forums and if you folks here running this community were to get together with them Wiki folks and figure out a kind of style that would be used by all forums where a properly graphiced link to that list is prominently (maybe semi-prominently) showing on a forum's landing page with the appropriate description of what it is, then maybe that is a step toward achieving that idea of inclusion. And maybe the TAZ Community being able to sort of be known as the initiator of the idea would be a plus for us poor admin folks.

Needless to state (but doing it nonetheless) the Wiki folks are getting some cool adverts on those forums' landing pages where that list is shown. But that "description" requires some seriously clever wording. You don't want it to look like an advert for Wikipedia, but . . . well, it has to be a sort of an advert, with the main purpose of the inclusion factor being also shown. Gosh, I just made the thing so complicated, didn't I?

Anyway, just a thought.

(Yes, I knew 'graphiced' wasn't a word, but it is now.)

\o/

an oddity
Today’s internet gradually shifts towards micro-blogging and non-written contents. I, personally, can’t stand podcasts nor video blogs.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Dito on the video blogs; there are about 3 people on YouTube I can actually stand to listen to long enough to actually consume their content. I have never encountered a podcast I‘d even want to try.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Unfortunately our “competitors” tend to be VerticalScope and Internet Brands...!
What does that matter? Don't you think your members know about them already and may even be members?

Those other sites provide information of interest to your members. They offer different perspectives and can make for good thread starters. I guess it depends on your goals. If we want to offer the most complete coverage of the forum subject, I think we need to look beyond our own boarders and welcome ideas and discussion from other sources.

DigNap15

Fan
Metaphorically speaking, you have hit the nail on the head.

If I were to stumble upon most forums today, I would be required to fill out what amounts to a survey to join. Assuming I do not need to wait for a staff member to approve my membership, I would still need to verify my e-mail address. Next, I would, in all likelihood, need to fill out another survey to complete my profile before I could post. If I were lucky, that would not be required, and I may still need to wait for someone to approve my post.

When it came to Facebook, I provided an e-mail and uploaded a photo. My phone number was already confirmed since I used their app. I verified my e-mail with a single click. Since Facebook's AI automatically confirmed my ID using their photo recognition software, I could post without waiting in about 30 seconds (give or take). There is no waiting or lengthy surveys or manual confirmations by staff members. I could post freely and effortlessly, and best of all, everyone I could ever know is already there.

It puzzles me why any forum would allow Facebook members to join, then proceeds to put up a world full of obstacles in their way. If I am honest, I almost gave up on this very site, for example. Joining a forum has become hard and a lengthy process that most people are not looking to wait for.
I agree with you about some forums being hard to join.
With mine their are no forms to fill in.
Just a simple question to keep overseas spammers out.
And a manual approval process, to keep a check on who joins - eg prevously banned mambers, and overseas spammers. (but that can take a few hours - good things take time!)

DigNap15

Fan
The reason forums are slow or boring these days, is that there so much competiton for peoples time.
Youtube
Reddit
News sites
Blogs
Facebook
Twitter
Talkback radio
Housework
Gardening

And to add to that the under 40's who do not know what a forum is

DigNap15

Fan
I think one major issue is that it's becoming impossible to get any sort of ranking on Google, so even if you have a great blog, nobody will ever find it unless you are able to get links onto "authoritative" sites. Watching my own traffic on various sites, I've come to the conclusion Google even does some weird automatic traffic balancing within sites. I've been pretty frustrated by this, lately, and it doesn't help that there are. no. competitors. Only Google and sites tapping Google results.

I know most people slamming Google as "not letting my site grow" are spammers, but I used to love them for traffic... now their patterns revealed in traffic and Webmaster Tools just seem insane.

Can I also put in a sad nostalgic tribute to Yahoo, back in the beginning, when they really tried to catalog the entire Internet in usable ways - and to the Open Directory before they because so exclusive they apparently banned themselves?
You are dead right about Google
They push sites that sell stuff
And I think they actively discriminate against forums.

On Bing and DuckDuckGo my forum is on page one at the top.
On Google it bobs around from the bottom of page 1 to page 3.

I am not interested in playing Googles algorthyrm games, I cannot be bothered to spend hours on SEO either

DigNap15

Fan
Forums is a bad choice of word for what we do
Google also throws up other forms of forum - eg a live meeting on a specific subject eg farming or dentistry.

Commnity is an old fashioned quaint sort of feel good term
Bulletin Board is a really old fashioned term no one has heard of

Pete

Discriminating against user-generated content is nothing new though, unless you're big enough to be perceived as reliable and worthy enough, in which case you're fine.

DigNap15

Fan
Not to mention the spam sites that have the same review on 30 different domain names, or the domains made solely for spamming.

Like I said... Google has become the problem, since there's no other option. We rarely get pointed to good forums, unless you click on page 6 or some such. Google's algorithms have helped the bad sites more than the spam sites.

Their ideological love of the algo is a real problem.

Yes I think the old Yahoo directory listing was the better way to go.
We were all sold a pup when the media found out about Google and their new way for search

DigNap15

Fan
Discriminating against user-generated content is nothing new though, unless you're big enough to be perceived as reliable and worthy enough, in which case you're fine.
What about if your big enough to be fine, and yet your content can be unreliable, or useless?

Pete

It appears to be OK for StackOverflow... lots of unreliable and useless content there.