Is the Flarum the best CMS for webmaster forum?

Poshnjari

Aspirant
I read that Flarum is one of the best forum software for webmaster forum. Is true?

Last edited:

haqzore

Devotee
Some would say yes.
Some would say no.

First - Flarum is primarily a forum software, not a CMS software.
Secondly - why would Flarum in particular be the best CMS for, specifically, a webmaster forum?

Your best bet is to actually use & read around TheAdminZone to see what general thoughts are on the myriad of scripts available. Pick your personal top 3 or 5, and test them out yourself.

Last edited:

Poshnjari

Aspirant
Some would say yes.
Some would say no.

First - Flarum is primarily a forum software, not a CMS software.
Secondly - why would Flarum in particular, be the best CMS for, specifically, a webmaster forum?

Your best bet is to actually use & read around TheAdminZone to see what general thoughts are on the myriad of scripts available. Pick your personal top 3 or 5, and test them out yourself.
Ok, thank you I have edit.

haqzore

Devotee
Your best bet is to actually use & read around TheAdminZone to see what general thoughts are on the myriad of scripts available. Pick your personal top 3 or 5, and test them out yourself.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thank you I have edit.

Ok - so same question.

Why would Flarum in particular be the best script for, specifically, a webmaster forum?
Does a webmaster forum have needs unique from other forums that only Flarum meets?
Or are you really just asking "Whats the best forum software"?

Poshnjari

Aspirant
Your best bet is to actually use & read around TheAdminZone to see what general thoughts are on the myriad of scripts available. Pick your personal top 3 or 5, and test them out yourself

Ok - so same question.

Why would Flarum in particular be the best script for, specifically, a webmaster forum?
Does a webmaster forum have needs unique from other forums that only Flarum meets?
Or are you really just asking "Whats the best forum software"?
I don't know much about Flarum so I also started this thread.

haqzore

Devotee
I don't know much about Flarum so I also started this thread.

If you don't know much about Flarum, there's no reason to start this thread.

Educate yourself, then ask specific questions you were unable to answer on your own.

Look at Flarum.
Read about its features.
Browse its documentation.
Look at / use Flarum as an end-user to see if you like it.

Maybe look at all the other options out there.

And:
... actually use & read around TheAdminZone to see what general thoughts are on the myriad of scripts available. Pick your personal top 3 or 5, and test them out yourself.

Joel R

Fan
Some things to keep in mind with Flarum:
1. It's an open source, free forum software. This is good and bad. It's free, but it means the software may not be kept up as quickly as professional solutions. It also means you will need to rely on the community for support versus professional help.

2. It's still in beta. It's been in beta forever.

3. The founder recently left, but there's still a strong community.

4. It's new and modern.

There are other modern, free forum software like Discourse that are probably a better, more stable choice. And there are modern, paid community solutions that include CMS like Invision Community.

Poshnjari

Aspirant
Some things to keep in mind with Flarum:
1. It's an open source, free forum software. This is good and bad. It's free, but it means the software may not be kept up as quickly as professional solutions. It also means you will need to rely on the community for support versus professional help.

2. It's still in beta. It's been in beta forever.

3. The founder recently left, but there's still a strong community.

4. It's new and modern.

There are other modern, free forum software like Discourse that are probably a better, more stable choice. And there are modern, paid community solutions that include CMS like Invision Community.
Ok, thank you for your reply. I agree with the first reason

overcast

Adherent
I think it's a WIP. I think they need to open up for the user suggestion more and implement it. For example, lot of users suggested option to create membership system like we have in xenforo and IPB. They have yet to implement it in core. So if you are planning on making forums where you wish to start membership for funding the forum. Then in such case flarum won't be a good option. It just looks cool like discuss.

haqzore

Devotee
I think it's a WIP. I think they need to open up for the user suggestion more and implement it. For example, lot of users suggested option to create membership system like we have in xenforo and IPB. They have yet to implement it in core. So if you are planning on making forums where you wish to start membership for funding the forum. Then in such case flarum won't be a good option. It just looks cool like discuss.
I fear with the departure of the founder, their development may slow more than it already was & that's why they aren't more open to suggestions.

overcast

Adherent
One of the founder left, not all. I think the founder who wanted to do paid forum software, left for his own reason financial terms. Which is reasonable.

Gary

Fan
Just to bring some clarity to this discussion and various statements made; Toby, the founder of Flarum, has indeed left to endeavour on a new project of his where he will be releasing his own paid forum software (this is still under development to my knowledge). The lead developers that have taken over the ship are actually actively working on the software and are quicker at doing so as well. There is a roadmap that is being stuck to and releases are planned to be made more often this year as we approach a stable release. All of this can be found on the official forum for reference where you can even find a dev diary to be up to date on the latest news.

Flarum has always targeted limiting core features especially in the beta stages. This in turn allows for a more powerful product and one that is developed properly instead of simply meeting extension requests. Perhaps once stable hits their plans may change, who knows. In saying that though the community is extremely engaged and there is a plethora of extensions available to meet any subject, however big or small. If it's not available, simply request it and if there is enough interest someone is bound to help out.

To answer the your question though, Flarum as well as any other forum software can be the "best" for whatever it is that you want to release. However it is not a dedicated CMS. You pick forum software based on what features you require and whether those will benefit your community. As highlighted above already, register to Flarum and give it a run. You can also trial your own Flarum instance for free by visiting here or registering one with FreeFlarum.