Is TAZ now (or soon to be owned) by VerticalScope?

R0binHood

Habitué
Can't really blame Threadloom for selling out really.

They only got $16-25M over the next couple years for the sale. They'll be lucky to break even after buying TAZ from The Sandman.

Joel R

Fan
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think TAZ being owned by VS will actually change the content, engagement, or community strategy. Not sure why everyone is clamoring for news, as if somehow tomorrow we're going to wake up to a new and improved TAZ.

They pay the bills. They keep TAZ online. They provide "resources."

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
In my perception TAZ is basically dead since Sandman gave the site over to Threadloom.

I mean, to be fair, when Sandman was around the last 1-2 years were not great either, but at least more people were around. Where is all the crew like Lisa, Shawn, Poet, Trixie, Ozzy, Alpha, the Pixelexit guys etc.? I never see them around anymore.

I was excited when TL got the site, I thought they will spark some activity here by doing stuff. But they didn't do a single thing on here. There is no content to talk about.

To me it went just downhill from then but I didn't want to say it out loud. Nobody provides admin related content anymore.
It's a bit ridiculous to blame Threadloom for TAZ being "dead." It's really no different now compared to what it was before. There are many reasons why some forums have been less active over the last 5+ years, which have been discussed here many times. This has happened far before 1-2 years ago. Creating a new forum would be 100 times more "dead." Forums in general have been slowing down for a long time, so of course a forum about forums has.

TLChris

Administrator
Because VS has a habit of buying up sites then forcibly converting them to their platform. Which isn’t as nice as the one we currently have…
I don't understand what you say "forced" in this instance. They entered into an agreement, they acquired the rights, etc., much like when someone buys a house, they can decorate, however they choose. Not everyone appreciates change, but sometimes it is necessary. I've never been one to believe the software or a logo that defines a community, it's always been the people a part of the community that do that.

We have members here that own one forum, or multiple forums, of all sizes, and members that decided that it was time for them to move on from the forum admin world for whatever reason (interests, children, selling their communities, etc.) The one thing that has remained is TAZ being here for those that desire help. That is not changing.

I've owned/managed/tinkered with forums for over 20+ years now, and I believe the best challenges are yet to come. I hope each of you, will stay, and join us for the next chapter.

much like when someone buys a house, they can decorate, however they choose.
Not a good example IMO as the house you're referring to has few residence that decorate to their personal preference. The TAZ house has 26,338 residences. If VS holds true to their past changes to their acquisitions, this will be a major change to TAZ.

Not everyone appreciates change, but sometimes it is necessary.
This change to sell OUR content to VS is a change that wasn't necessary except there is a lot of money changing hands, so it's understandable that the change is not appreciated by many.

I've owned/managed/tinkered with forums for over 20+ years now, and I believe the best challenges are yet to come. I hope each of you, will stay, and join us for the next chapter.
You have a great history and experience of 20+ years so me and others would appreciate hearing about what you believe are the best changes yet to come. We know what's in it for you, but I think people are scratching their heads and wondering what's in it for them. Care to share?

KimmiKat

Adherent
Long ago I did take over a mboard myself from someone who got tired of the BS. I ran it for a bit then had one of my cousin's take it over since he knew more about doing stuff on the back-end and upgrades and stuff. I kept the same forum platform and look though.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I don't really care who owns TAZ, what software it runs on, or what colour the interface is. As long as there's some interesting discussion to be had and I get to through my two cents worth of gibberish at it, I'm happy. Just don't shove a bunch of ads in my face.

Bonus: If they did change the interface to be less attractive and useable, we'll all have something to complain about, and that is a lot more content.

sbjsbj

Fan
It's a bit ridiculous to blame Threadloom for TAZ being "dead." It's really no different now compared to what it was before. There are many reasons why some forums have been less active over the last 5+ years, which have been discussed here many times. This has happened far before 1-2 years ago. Creating a new forum would be 100 times more "dead." Forums in general have been slowing down for a long time, so of course a forum about forums has.
I didn't blame anyone first of all.
I just expressed my observation. That is what I see, without judgement. And my expectation about getting new fresh wind was not met. It got worse. Not blaming anyone, it is what it is. One can now talk about the reasons but that is another topic. For me, as a fact, the activity on here decreased a lot. I dont see the names I used to see.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I've never been one to believe the software or a logo that defines a community, it's always been the people a part of the community that do that.

The software can absolutely define the community. I've seen forums that were thriving feel like they needed to change software, and the change upset the community to the point where the sites basically closed thereafter.

And let's not get into the cases of sites that migrate to Discourse and get Jeff Atwood moderation.

AdamD

Devotee
The software can absolutely define the community. I've seen forums that were thriving feel like they needed to change software, and the change upset the community to the point where the sites basically closed thereafter.
Agreed, I ran a site for 10 years, sold it, the new owner changed the forum software against my recommendation and it killed the forum.
No one liked the design or layout so went to another forum.

Ramses

Adherent
Most of us are here because of the content I guess. And as forum "professionals" or people addicted to forums we should be able to use every forum software. And if there's on the bottom a threadloom logo or VS, who cares. And to be honest, I don't think they make any money with this site. So we should be grateful to have this place open. We are the community, it's up to us how beneficial TAZ will be.

ThornInYourSide

Participant
We have members here that own one forum, or multiple forums, of all sizes, and members that decided that it was time for them to move on from the forum admin world for whatever reason (interests, children, selling their communities, etc.) The one thing that has remained is TAZ being here for those that desire help. That is not changing.

I hope each of you, will stay, and join us for the next chapter.
Hopefully it will. Hopefully one of those that have the disk space, abilities and other resources will start a new generation TAZ that will not suffer from the VS Horde. Hopefully it will be published so that those who want to switch will be able to.

There is NOTHING positive about VS. Nothing at all.

ThornInYourSide

Participant
This is what AVS looks like with the Fora.
And if you go to DBSTalk, you can see what AVS looked like before it was ruined by VS.

That is, if you can get there before VS ruins it too.

DBS may not be the greatest of site designs out there, but it's infinitely better than the Fora mess.

Taylor J

Fan
Hopefully it will. Hopefully one of those that have the disk space, abilities and other resources will start a new generation TAZ that will not suffer from the VS Horde. Hopefully it will be published so that those who want to switch will be able to.

There is NOTHING positive about VS. Nothing at all.
If you are not going to be the one to do it then quit bringing it up. You are adding nothing to the discussion.

Nabix

Taylor J Would you say he's being a..... thorn... in your side...

iu