Is TAZ now (or soon to be owned) by VerticalScope?

gosborne

Aspirant
That is interesting. Is TAZ owned by threadloom?
Yep

zappaDPJ

Administrator
For clarification TAZ has been under the leadership of Threadloom for approximately two years.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
*nods* The speculation is that this does imply TAZ is now owned by VerticalScope. It would be good to understand what this means for TAZ. Hopefully someone from Threadloom can confirm.

KimmiKat

Adherent
They own AVS forum and when they put their "Fora Platform" made it mostly horrid to use. Then got plop-ups to connect to a certain social media platform many don't trust.

I hope VS can leave the way the site is.

CrimsonGalaxy

Habitué
They own AVS forum and when they put their "Fora Platform" made it mostly horrid to use. Then got plop-ups to connect to a certain social media platform many don't trust.

I hope VS can leave the way the site is.
What’s flora platform? Is that the forum software they use?

vbgamer45

Adherent
I surpised they just don't buy xenforo for the amount of money did for those acquisitions.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I surpised they just don't buy xenforo for the amount of money did for those acquisitions.
I think it's fair to say we all have our price but the developers responsible for Xenforo have already had first hand experience of being bought out and I'd like to think based on that experience they would reject such an offer with some very strong language :)

CrimsonGalaxy

Habitué
I think it's fair to say we all have our price but the developers responsible for Xenforo have already had first hand experience of being bought out and I'd like to think based on that experience they would reject such an offer with some very strong language :)
XF got bought out? I’ve been out of the space for so long….

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Having seen the lack of attention they've given other forums, specially

I think it's also fair to say anyone considering purchasing Xenforo might be wary, for similar reasons.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
I think it's also fair to say anyone considering purchasing Xenforo might be wary, for similar reasons.
I'm curious, what do you mean by this exactly? That companies like VS would be worried about tanking the product (like Internet Brands appears to have done to vB)?

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I'm curious, what do you mean by this exactly? That companies like VS would be worried about tanking the product (like Internet Brands appears to have done to vB)?

What I mean is any buyer might worry the XF team would leave (again) and start another company (again).

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
What I mean is any buyer might worry the XF team would leave (again) and start another company (again).
If I were them, I think Id retire this time around (if it happened).

As to TAZ and this announcement - I have no clue, unless I missed something its the first staff here have heard of it.

zappaDPJ

Administrator

Never say never but the circumstances wouldn't be the same.

My understanding is JelSoft, vBulletin's development company was sold to Internet Brands by James Lim who I presume had authority over the rest of the development team. Some of those developers who went on to form Xenforo may not have had any say in the sale (conjecture on my part) which resulted in them working under Internet Brands in some capacity.

There are other posts which give reasons for the subsequent abandonment of Internet Brands and the formation of Xenforo but the bottom line is the circumstances in which the original Xenforo team chose to leave Internet Brands in order to create a new product are unlikely to be repeated because this time, they have control.

KimmiKat

Adherent
Which works out for them since they have say over their own bean counters, not the other way.

There are other posts which give reasons for the subsequent abandonment of Internet Brands and the formation of Xenforo but the bottom line is the circumstances in which the original Xenforo team chose to leave Internet Brands in order to create a new product are unlikely to be repeated because this time, they have control.