Is it possible to use the resource manager as a store/marketplace?

DudeThatsErin

Habitué
I just purchased RM as my husband and I are starting up a business and he wants a forum/marketplace type site. I've used XF and IPB and we decided on XF because of the price.
I've never used RM so I didn't know that in order to purchase things directly on the site, you seem to need some kind of addon?

I found this which seems to do what we want/need: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/xfa-rm-marketplace-shop-xf2.6064/
My husband isn't going to be happy though about having to spend more money. He isn't a programmer/website developer or anything. So he is going to believe that RM should do this out of the box.

Are there tutorials out there so I can learn how to program something like this addon? I know it will take me a while, which is fine.

Is there a way to do this that I'm not seeing?

Any and all help is appreciated.

FTL

Adherent
Since you wanna run a business off your website, I think you'd be better off biting the bullet and running Invision Community (what used to be IP.B) as it's got more business oriented features than XF and might do what you want straight out of the box, although XF does have some business features too to be fair to it.

Before you spend on IC though, do run the demo and play around with it. They give you a very generous two weeks to get acquainted with it before it dies, too.

Ultimately though, you know what your business is and how much you can invest in it, so only take this as general advice rather than prescriptive. If you'd like to tell the community more about your business and the kind of financial investment that you're able to make in it, I'm sure you'll get some great advice on here. :)

Oh and this is my hundredth post here! :cool:

DudeThatsErin

Habitué
Since you wanna run a business off your website, I think you'd be better off biting the bullet and running Invision Community (what used to be IP.B) as it's got more business oriented features than XF and might do what you want straight out of the box, although XF does have some business features too to be fair to it.

Before you spend on IC though, do run the demo and play around with it. They give you a very generous two weeks to get acquainted with it before it dies, too.

Ultimately though, you know what your business is and how much you can invest in it, so only take this as general advice rather than prescriptive. If you'd like to tell the community more about your business and the kind of financial investment that you're able to make in it, I'm sure you'll get some great advice on here. :)

Oh and this is my hundredth post here! :cool:
Yeah, I'm working on migrating the theme over to IPB via the demo to see if it is even possible.

Joel R

Habitué
Fish, aquaculture supplies, and in the future coral.
If you're selling physical products, then you want Invision Community's Commerce add-on. It includes some fairly powerful functionality including inventory, group discounts, upselling / downselling, a whole built-in support ticket system, etc. User profiles are also split between 'Member View' and 'Customer View.'

This is a real example from inside my community of the profile Customer View:
Member View.jpg

DudeThatsErin

Habitué
If you're selling physical products, then you want Invision Community's Commerce add-on. It includes some fairly powerful functionality including inventory, group discounts, upselling / downselling, a whole built-in support ticket system, etc. User profiles are also split between 'Member View' and 'Customer View.'

This is a real example from inside my community of the profile Customer View:
View attachment 55721
Yeah, I was working on an IPB demo. Waiting for a backup of it cause the demo expires on Friday.
I'm going to go self-hosted BUT I am waiting for my old IPB account and the management team is taking FOREVER to get back to me about changing my email as I no longer have access to that email address.
The admins here can vouch for that cause I asked for my email to be updated here as well for the same reason.

It doesn't bode well, when they could gain another $550 but aren't because their management is so slow to get back to people. I'm talking waiting 2 weeks for them to get back to me about this.