Is it possible to put an App Icon on a Mobile and have it link to your forum?

DigNap15

Fan
Is it possible to put an App Icon on a Mobile and have it link to your forum?

Like most of us, I suppose a lot of my users are on mobile
Is it possible to make an Icon for my forum and then put it on the screen of my Samsung mobile, as if it was an app?
Then I could offer this to my members, which would make it easy for them to access my fourm.

I suppose it would not be possible on an Apple I phone, but I hope it is on Android etc.

DigNap15

Fan
Hi
I am using Xenforo
I know they have a PWA, but do I need all of that?

Study Force

Participant
Is this the same when browsing certain websites on Android devices, where a popup asks if you'd be interested in favoriting the website as a display icon?

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Not having gotten an Android device... I'd guess that's what happens when you do the full blown PWA part (where it would make sense because you get push notifications at that point), or possibly like what was back in the day when sites would try to get you to make them your default page on your browser (Ctrl-D if memory serves), but more likely the former.

DigNap15

Fan
All I really want to know is can I make an icon to be used as a bookmark for my users that looks like an App
I dont want to use the Xenforo PWA at this stage.

MartyF

Aspirant
All I really want to know is can I make an icon to be used as a bookmark for my users that looks like an App
I dont want to use the Xenforo PWA at this stage.
Yes, in iOS at least so I presume you can on an Android. Just get the user to open the Forum then at the bottom of the screen (in iOS) is the little square symbol with an arrow pointing upwards ie the share symbol. Click on that and one of the available options is 'save as bookmark/short cut on home screen' - I can't recall the precise wording at this moment but its there. The Forum will now appear as an icon on their home screen.

(NB, it may not appear on the first page of the home screen if, like many, their app icons extend over several screens but t will be there in the first available space)

DigNap15

Fan
Yes, in iOS at least so I presume you can on an Android. Just get the user to open the Forum then at the bottom of the screen (in iOS) is the little square symbol with an arrow pointing upwards ie the share symbol. Click on that and one of the available options is 'save as bookmark/short cut on home screen' - I can't recall the precise wording at this moment but its there. The Forum will now appear as an icon on their home screen.

(NB, it may not appear on the first page of the home screen if, like many, their app icons extend over several screens but t will be there in the first available space)
Thankyou so much
I have a Samsung mobile and I followed your general idea, and I got a grey app icon on my Mobiles home page with the Letter N on it and the name of my forum under it!
(Now I just need to find a way to change that plain icon to an icon that I make to look nice and professional)

My girlfirend has an Apple, so I will get her to try your idea on her phone!

MartyF

Aspirant
Thankyou so much
I have a Samsung mobile and I followed your general idea, and I got a grey app icon on my Mobiles home page with the Letter N on it and the name of my forum under it!
(Now I just need to find a way to change that plain icon to an icon that I make to look nice and professional)

You need to load a Favicon into the ACP of your forum. iirc from other posts you use Xenforo, if so the favicon can be uploaded at ACP>Appearance>Style Properties>basic options - its towards the bottom of the page. You'll need a 32x32px image. Once done that will the appear as the icon on your forum short cut on mobiles and also, depending what browser you use, as an image on the browser tab.

MartyF

Aspirant
Thankyou so much

BTW, if you're nzissues.com you've currently got an error 403 being returned.

MartyF

Aspirant
yes I am
I have not had any other reports of this error
It seems to be a hard error to fix
Usually its the result of a permission issue, ie the server has recognised it's been asked for data but does not permit the requester to see the data. In the first instance I suggest you check permissions within Xenforo have not inadvertently been set to preclude guests from viewing the site, although I doubt it's this as Xenforo would normally throw up the front page of the site with a 'you do not have permission to view this content' type message. Once you're sure its not something you've done as the site administrator then it has to be an issue within your hosting environment so you'll need to get onto whomsoever hosts the site for you as they may have made some changes (not uncommon if its a shared hosting environment) what have caused the issue.

You can also check whether its a simple permission issue by accessing it from a new browser that doesn't have your login details saved ie you emulate a guest.

DigNap15

Fan
Usually its the result of a permission issue, ie the server has recognised it's been asked for data but does not permit the requester to see the data. In the first instance I suggest you check permissions within Xenforo have not inadvertently been set to preclude guests from viewing the site, although I doubt it's this as Xenforo would normally throw up the front page of the site with a 'you do not have permission to view this content' type message. Once you're sure its not something you've done as the site administrator then it has to be an issue within your hosting environment so you'll need to get onto whomsoever hosts the site for you as they may have made some changes (not uncommon if its a shared hosting environment) what have caused the issue.

You can also check whether its a simple permission issue by accessing it from a new browser that doesn't have your login details saved ie you emulate a guest.
Thanks for that
I am using Xenforo
I dont think I have changed any permsiions
But I do have an add-on that restricts the number of views a Guest can make before they register.
I had changed it from 6 views to 10.

DigNap15

Fan
You need to load a Favicon into the ACP of your forum. iirc from other posts you use Xenforo, if so the favicon can be uploaded at ACP>Appearance>Style Properties>basic options - its towards the bottom of the page. You'll need a 32x32px image. Once done that will the appear as the icon on your forum short cut on mobiles and also, depending what browser you use, as an image on the browser tab.
I am now going to create a favicon for my forum
But 32x32 seems so low res, and yet on phones the apps icons look so good
I wonder if the documentation on XF is still correct?

MartyF

Aspirant
Thanks for that
I am using Xenforo
I dont think I have changed any permsiions
But I do have an add-on that restricts the number of views a Guest can make before they register.
I had changed it from 6 views to 10.
On our forum we have unlimited views for guests; they can visit as many times as they want. However, if they want to post anything then they have to register. Further, if they want to leave 'likes' or other ratings on other users posts they have to subscribe and pay a small subscription fee. Paying the fee also changes their permissions so they can access areas of the forum Guests can't access.

Our view is we want as many guests as possible as often as possible. The more we have the more we stand a chance of converting them to registered users and then subscribers.
I am now going to create a favicon for my forum
But 32x32 seems so low res, and yet on phones the apps icons look so good
I wonder if the documentation on XF is still correct?
Its 32 x 32 as that's the size needed to also work in the tabs of browsers.

The documentation on XF is still correct, we run the latest version 2.2.2.

DigNap15

Fan
Thanks
Thats a very interesting idea
Make them pay a small fee to give likes!

I will try a 32 by 32 icon

DigNap15

Fan
I am still trying to get a custom icon appear on mobiles and tablets.
All I can get so far is the standard Apple blue tripod thing, and a plain Letter icon on my Samsung
I cannot find any documentation on it in Xenforo.

Attachments

• Icon urls.png
    Icon urls.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 1

MartyF

Aspirant
  1. You should visit the Home screen page on which you want to stick the app icon or launcher.
  2. You should touch the Apps icon to display the apps drawer.
  3. You should long-press the app icon you want to add to the Home screen.
  4. Drag the app to the Home screen page, lifting your finger to place the app.
I believe that's on android :unsure:

Apple is slightly different and has an App Library which is the very last screen on the home page.

Also, I believe the OP is trying to get a favicon to appear on the home screen when a short-cut link to his forum is created by the user rather than it be an App itself.

DigNap15 the favicon we use appears in browser tabs but doesn't appear when a shortcut is created (on my iPhone at least), it's just a minimised version of the home page which appears in that instance. As it would be useful for me to inform my users (although no-one's ever raised the issue, so perhaps its more for my own benefit than theirs) I'll look into it and if I find a way I'll let you (and others) know.