Is it just me but...

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I think 2020 has been the year of the grumpy person, and I am not surprised really, its been a difficult year for everyone I guess.

2021 roll on...

Cant wait for 2022
Yeah man let’s hope 2025 is good to all of us.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I think the response was rude and you have every right to be PO'd at the developer.

If the addon only works with the default theme, it should be stated up front before you purchase it. Otherwise, I would expect it to work (depending on what the addon is) with any properly coded theme for the software. I would also expect the developer to know his or her product well enough to be able to give you some ideas where to look for solutions, based on what problem you're experiencing.

Malcolm

Aspirant
I have to agree with others that it was reasonable but I’m just like you in a sense where they could have offered to at least provide a suggestion what it might be, or at least point you into right direction etc. Even though it was reasonable response I felt it was like a stonewall response.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I have to agree with others that it was reasonable but I’m just like you in a sense where they could have offered to at least provide a suggestion what it might be, or at least point you into right direction etc. Even though it was reasonable response I felt it was like a stonewall response.
That’s exactly what irritated. His response that to me really meant dude don’t waste my time.

Malcolm

Aspirant
That’s exactly what irritated. His response that to me really meant dude don’t waste my time.
I’ve worked with many addon developers in the past as I’m sure many others have had in the past. I recently worked with one who even said oh it’s because of theme but look into this... that was perfect response.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I think the response was rude and you have every right to be PO'd at the developer.

If the addon only works with the default theme, it should be stated up front before you purchase it. Otherwise, I would expect it to work (depending on what the addon is) with any properly coded theme for the software. I would also expect the developer to know his or her product well enough to be able to give you some ideas where to look for solutions, based on what problem you're experiencing.

I don't see any indication the developer said, or knew, it worked only with the default theme. Nor do you know if the theme is properly coded or not based on the OPs remarks.

borbole

Adherent

Why stop there with your expectations lol? While you are at it, you should also expect the developer to hand deliever the mod to your house and install it as well, and be on call 24 hours a day should the need arise to make it compatible with all the other custom themes/add ons or add new features that you like. :D

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I don't see any indication the developer said, or knew, it worked only with the default theme. Nor do you know if the theme is properly coded or not based on the OPs remarks.
You're right, I don't. That's why I said any addon should work with a properly coded theme. If it doesn't work, that's someplace to start looking for issues. In this case (according to the OPs statements) the developer simply replied that it works with the default theme so it's not his problem. That isn't the response a customer wants from any vendor, when they're asking for help. I imagine that's not the way you treat your customers.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
You're right, I don't. That's why I said any addon should work with a properly coded theme. If it doesn't work, that's someplace to start looking for issues. In this case (according to the OPs statements) the developer simply replied that it works with the default theme so it's not his problem. That isn't the response a customer wants from any vendor, when they're asking for help. I imagine that's not the way you treat your customers.

That was his exact reply. I don’t think some of these users understand what the point of my post was. It was all about his reply. I just thought he was being a jerkoff.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Why stop there with your expectations lol? While you are at it, you should also expect the developer to hand deliever the mod to your house and install it as well, and be on call 24 hours a day should the need arise to make it compatible with all the other custom themes/add ons or add new features that you like. :D
I suspect you might have been a bit facetious here. 😐

You're right, I do have expectations. If I pay for a product or service, I expect the seller to stand behind their work, unless they specifically offer it "as is" with no support. So for a forum addon, I do expect the developer to have done their due diligence by testing it with different (properly coded) themes and even along side other popular addons to make sure it will work for a wide variety of customers (not to mention reduce their own support issues). Clearly, they can't anticipate every situation, but they should be able to point to some common solutions when a customer is having problems. I would never expect a hand wave dismissal.

Anyone who expects to sell their products and be treated as a professional, also has the responsibility to act like one. You don't get to dismiss a customer because you're not in the mood or risk a bad reputation. If it was me, I'd be slinging this guy's name all over the place, warning people about his bad support.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
That was his exact reply. I don’t think some of these users understand what the point of my post was. It was all about his reply. I just thought he was being a jerkoff.

Without seeing the actual discussion, I have nothing to go by other than hearsay.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Now should I tell the add on developer just to stick it to him? According to my theme developer from ipsfocus.com the issue isn't his theme. The issue lies with the developers html structure. I added the code that correct code and it fixed it.

Russ

Administrator
I'm a bit curious to find out more. Would you be willing to PM me the add-on in question? I'll keep it private of course but as a style developer I might be able to provide a little more insight on the issue. I will often reach out to add-on developers for recommendations to help with third party style compatibility.

Taylor J

Fan
To be honest that still sounds like a theme issue. If it works on the default (which it does) but not on a third party theme that then has to have some code added to it to make it work sounds as if the theme removed some of the default code.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
To be honest that still sounds like a theme issue. If it works on the default (which it does) but not on a third party theme that then has to have some code added to it to make it work sounds as if the theme removed some of the default code.
I have no clue. I’m sure people who are experts in themes and add on development would know better.

borbole

Adherent
I have no clue. I’m sure people who are experts in themes and add on development would know better.
I agree with Taylor J. By your admission the mod works fine with the default theme, but it is not working with a custom theme. That custom theme has changed/altered the default theme, hence why the mod is not working with it. What that theme designer told you does not make sense at all. Can you post here the link to the mod btw, so we can take a look at it for ourselves?

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
Not necessarily - there is a specific framework in place for the CSS. If the modification is not using that framework properly, then the issue may not show on the default theme, but will show on a custom theme that makes vast changes that rely on the framework to be properly utilized.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I agree with Taylor J. By your admission the mod works fine with the default theme, but it is not working with a custom theme. That custom theme has changed/altered the default theme, hence why the mod is not working with it. What that theme designer told you does not make sense at all. Can you post here the link to the mod btw, so we can take a look at it for ourselves?
Nah I’d rather not. It is what it is to be honest. I don’t want to add fuel to the fire. I know how some users on here. They like to take something small and make it bigger than what it is.

BGObsession

Enthusiast
I don't think it's an 'either/or'. I know I've gotten the 'I can't replicate the issue...' more than once. I get it. They can't replicate the issue. I'm actually in the middle of one of these conversations right now. I think where one issue lies is that this shouldn't be the end of the conversation and sometimes it comes across as suggesting it is. No offense to anyone here, but in my experience, a lot of folks are in the IT/technical world because people skills and warm and fuzzy may not be their #1 priority... lol (no need to raise hands, we know who you are!). I also think, given a lot of the responses I've gotten over the years, there's a natural issue when folks that are highly knowledgeable/savvy (developers) are trying to assist or field questions from users (or people like me who are really users, but think they know a lot more than they do :)). It's got to be frustrating a) trying to understand what's going on, b) understand what the user is really asking, and c) being nice and non-condescending in your reply.

As with most things in this world, a little helpfulness, patience, and grace go a long way.