Is it just me but...

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Is it just me or do you find it annoying when an add on developer responds with it works fine for me on the default theme. Like really dude? You can’t just say hmmm let me look into this considering you’re most likely using a custom theme like many forum owners do or just get straight to the point. Ask the them designer lol. Obviously it’s going to work on the default theme considering you’re creating the add on and testing it on a default theme. Maybe it’s just me getting grumpy in my older age but I got so irritated. Lol

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
not really, there are hundreds of different themes out there and you cant expect a developer to necessarily help you fix the issue if the custom theme you are using is causing the issue.... having said that I have found that most developers have been happy to help with issues like this in the past, as long as you dont keep asking 100 questions to them to fix this and that - sometimes you need to either work it out yourself or post to a community site for answers instead (like here).

zappaDPJ

Administrator
If I find an add-on isn't working as expected I always check it with the default theme and if it still doesn't work I check it with all my other add-ons disabled.

I think it's quicker for everyone involved to first establish the root cause and I see that as my job being the owner/admin, not something I'd expect of the developer.

To be honest the first question a developer should ask is if you've tried the problem add-on with a default installation. It's the first obvious step in the debugging processes and if the answer to that is yes then you are really looking for some custom coding and on-going support specific to your site.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
You all bring up good points but that’s not really what my issue was with him. His immediate response is what irritated me. It's an obvious that as an add on developer there is no way on earth that he could test it on custom themes. There are so many out there but he could word his initial response much better. Something a long the lines like hey it seems like it's most likely an issue with your custom theme and to ask the developer of the theme and see what he/she tells you. If it's not an issue with the theme let me know I'll look into it instead of him telling me it works fine on the default theme. That's a given that it works fine on a default theme and I'm surprised he didn't say on a default theme with no other add ons. I mean as an addon developer you should know that users are most likely going to have some issue with it for various reasons. Conflicting with an other add on or like my issue which is my custom theme. Word your responses a lot better instead of responding like a moron is what I'm saying. Especially considering that it's a paid add on that wasn't cheap lol. That's what irritated me.

Paul M

Dr Pepper Addict
In my opinion it's unreasonable to expect an addon developer insures their addon works with every 3rd party theme.

This. ;)

You all bring up good points but that’s not really what my issue was with him. His immediate response is what irritated me. It's an obvious that as an add on developer there is no way on earth that he could test it on custom themes. There are so many out there but he could word his initial response much better. Something a long the lines like hey it seems like it's most likely an issue with your custom theme and to ask the developer of the theme and see what he/she tells you. If it's not an issue with the theme let me know I'll look into it instead of him telling me it works fine on the default theme. That's a given that it works fine on a default theme and I'm surprised he didn't say on a default theme with no other add ons. I mean as an addon developer you should know that users are most likely going to have some issue with it for various reasons. Conflicting with an other add on or like my issue which is my custom theme. Word your responses a lot better instead of responding like a moron is what I'm saying. Especially considering that it's a paid add on that wasn't cheap lol. That's what irritated me.

You might be being unreasonable, but its hard to really say as we dont know all the details.
The response seems perfectly reasonable, depending of course on what you asked in the first place.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
This. ;)

You might be being unreasonable, but its hard to really say as we dont know all the details.
The response seems perfectly reasonable, depending of course on what you asked in the first place.
All I wrote was hey I ran into an issue with the add on. The text is coming out all whacked. His response was it works fine on the default theme. Talk to your theme developer. It’s how he responded that was irritated me. Could’ve been a lot more polite. Plus I’ve spent over 200 bucks on his mods so you’d think you’d be a bit more polite? Maybe you’re right. Maybe it’s just me.

borbole

Adherent
All I wrote was hey I ran into an issue with the add on. The text is coming out all whacked. His response was it works fine on the default theme. Talk to your theme developer. It’s how he responded that was irritated me. Could’ve been a lot more polite. Plus I’ve spent over 200 bucks on his mods so you’d think you’d be a bit more polite? Maybe you’re right. Maybe it’s just me.

I do not have the whole picture, as there are usually 2 sides for every story, but from what you posted, I agree with Paul M. The response you got was very reasonable. There is nothing to get irritated about.

A third party add on is developed to work with the out of box software. What is unreasonable, is to expect, or worse, to demand for an add on to work/ be made compatible with all the themes and all other add ons out there. So yeah, it is just you.

not really, there are hundreds of different themes out there and you cant expect a developer to necessarily help you fix the issue if the custom theme you are using is causing the issue.... having said that I have found that most developers have been happy to help with issues like this in the past, as long as you dont keep asking 100 questions to them to fix this and that - sometimes you need to either work it out yourself or post to a community site for answers instead (like here).

I could not agree more with this. I have lost count of how many times that has happened and it is still happening to me. This is really unreasonable and annoying.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
I do not have the whole picture, as there are usually 2 sides for every story, but from what you posted, I agree with Paul M. The response you got was very reasonable. There is nothing to get irritated about.

A third party add on is developed to work with the out of box software. What is unreasonable, is to expect, or worse, to demand for an add on to work/ be made compatible with all the themes and all other add ons out there. So yeah, it is just you.

I could not agree more with this. I have lost count of how many times that has happeend and it is still happening to me. This is really unreasonable and annoying.
All I asked was if he had any idea what the problem might be. So you think the way he responded so blunt was justified instead of choosing a better way to respond. Interesting. I guess it really is just me.

borbole

Adherent
All I asked was if he had any idea what the problem might be. So you think the way he responded so blunt was justified instead of choosing a better way to respond. Interesting. I guess it really is just me.

You asked if he had any idea what the problem might be, and you got an answer. He was not being offensive or rude. He simply pointed you in the right direction.

So the conversation went something like this:

You: Hey, the add on is not working, the text is coming out all whacked. What is the problem?
He: It works fine for me on the default theme. You should ask your custom theme 's designer.

You are complaining in your op that he was blunt and unreasonable etc. He can say the same thing about you too. For ex, why did not you ask him nicely? Like, I am running into an issue with the add on. Can you please take a look at it/help me out? I would really appreciate it.

You see what I mean? It is a two way street.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
If I find an add-on isn't working as expected I always check it with the default theme and if it still doesn't work I check it with all my other add-ons disabled.

I think it's quicker for everyone involved to first establish the root cause and I see that as my job being the owner/admin, not something I'd expect of the developer.

To be honest the first question a developer should ask is if you've tried the problem add-on with a default installation. It's the first obvious step in the debugging processes and if the answer to that is yes then you are really looking for some custom coding and on-going support specific to your site.
Yeah absolutely. That’s something I always do too this way I know what to write and save him the hassle. My years of running forums this is a question they usually almost always ask I I beat them to the punch.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Its hard to really know without seeing the actual emails, but all I will say is on the surface it looks like your question was answered but maybe in short manner - you are possibly being a bit sensitive but I would also say that its hard to tell what someone's manner is over email, to them they have answered the question in the most efficient and satisfactory way, and in their head they read it like that. That's the issue with emails - you cant tell the emotion in it like when you actually speak with someone so things can be taken out of context when the person actually wasn't meaning to be rude.

Ive had people get offended by me because I didnt start the email off with asking if they had a good day or some other pleasantry..I just see that as a waste of time personally..

BJ could be a winner.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
In my opinion it's unreasonable to expect an addon developer insures their addon works with every 3rd party theme.

agreed, but to just dismiss it is another thing. It might just be something simple that can fix the problem.

Mangini

Participant
The original post made me laugh because it really can be a struggle when offering addon support!

There is a line when the issue is absolutely out of the developer's hands, but in the case of a paid addon I think spending a little time to try to find the solution or at least offer helpful debugging questions is the right thing to do before jumping to the "use the default theme" or "contact the theme developer" lines.

Now that is a bit of a loaded statement as the next question for the developer is "how far do I go to solve this?" and I think this is the root of the discussion here.

If the issue is serious enough I will ask for a site login but only as a last resort since it is too easy for the customer to expect you to always login to fix issues. There are also situations where if you are able to find a conflict caused by a theme, reaching out to the theme developer to state your case can help everybody win if they are willing to fix it. These kinds of moves cost a little more time and resources but may win more customers for life—at least this is my perspective from running a small shop.

The burden is not only on the developer though, and in the case of a third party conflict you'd better show up with the best information possible (live pages, screenshots, error messages, etc.) as this will go a long way to get help with third party themes.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
You can’t expect a developer to be a miracle worker but when someone is asking you for help be a bit more professional. I don’t know if it’s a theme issue, a conflict with another add on etc. I’m asking because I truly don’t know. I’m not a developer or a coder. Tell me nicely it looks like an issue with your theme and ask your themes developer and get back to me. Not it works fine with the default theme and that’s it. I already know that it most likely works on the default theme or you wouldn’t of released the add on. Just be a bit more professional. I’m a paying customer and I was being polite. Anyways it felt good to vent. I’m probably just getting grumpier as I’m aging lol.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
I think 2020 has been the year of the grumpy person, and I am not surprised really, its been a difficult year for everyone I guess.

2021 roll on...

Cant wait for 2022