Is anyone using the new Xenforo Articles thead types

DigNap15

Adherent
XF bought out these Article thread types in 2.2
I am using XF and woud like to some examples of them in operation.
Are they easy to setup
Do they work well
Do your users like them?

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
Are they easy to setup
Do they work well
Do your users like them?
I use them as my homepage. I think they work splendidly.

DigNap15

Adherent
I'd be keen to see some links to forums that are using them, so that I can better understand how they can be used

DigNap15

Adherent
Looks good, probably one of the better uses out there!

DigNap15 I use Articles types when cross-posting articles from my main website (see example), though this is probably doesn't realize the feature to its fullest potential.
Sorry but I dont want anything to do with Word Press

DigNap15

Adherent
I'd just like to see a normal XF layout using articles, with some threads more than one page long.

So that I can see how and where I could implement them on my very basic forum

Taylor J

Fan
I'd just like to see a normal XF layout using articles, with some threads more than one page long.

So that I can see how and where I could implement them on my very basic forum
Have you tried checking the XF forums themselves?

And from taking a look at your site you could just move the articles all over to a forum that only uses the article thread type rather than have it on the front page and then the discussion in a separate thread.

Also try taking a harder look at things before telling people that what they gave you to look at has nothing to do with what you want rather than just seeing Wordpress and noping out of there.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Are they easy to setup
Do they work well
Do your users like them?
XF is using "articles' for the Have You Seen forum, that's a good idea to see how it looks with lots of threads in the node.

Over at Cameraderie photography forums I changed our 'for sale' forum to be an Articles type node. It works out well for that type of node.

I've also started using a widget to display threads on our home page in a few spots like our sci-fi forum. The 'article' view for templates is done using a template that can be used by other add-ons besides XF so it's pretty easy to do widgets for threads and then display them in the same style. I'm still trying going back & forth in deciding to show selected featured threads or just a simple query of latest threads. For now I'm doing latest threads but have an add-on I'm testing for featured threads.

Last edited:

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I've been using them for news stories for my roleplaying universe:

Kind of looks like a newspaper!

Malcolm

Aspirant
Yep! I’m using them on my coding site. I like them! I’m sure our members like them as well. With images they look almost like a blog!

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Its kinda odd seeing these comments and examples, because it's essentially exactly what Xenporta has been doing for years going back to early versions of XF 1.x.

thenashy

Aspirant
Its kinda odd seeing these comments and examples, because it's essentially exactly what Xenporta has been doing for years going back to early versions of XF 1.x.

Providing support to addons can get time consuming. Would rather avoid that.

Planning to roll this out in around 3 months on our board.