IPS4 is Crap

Cake

Neophyte
IPS4 is more of a disappointment then i thought, I've been using IPS from when 3.3.x got released. I upgraded to the latest version of IPS 4.1 from 3.4.7 a week ago.
Since I upgraded IPS4 it's being a pain in the backside it's slow and sucking up too much server resources, it's loading up more then 12 java scripts and 7 css files and this is on the default theme IPS came with.

For the past couple of releases it's just been security patches being released which gives me doubt IPS 4.x.x may not actually be secure, i mean 4.1.3.2, 4.1.4.1, 4.1.5, 4.1.5.1, 4.1.5.2 all these are just security patches and most of them are patches for XSS.
I mean just look
4.1.3.2 fixes an XSS issue reported to us in Blog.
Two security resolutions are included in this release:
  • Special circumstances made it possible to reveal the AdminCP session ID.
  • The image proxy feature that could lead to out of memory errors when processing certain images.
  • An XSS issue in Gallery is present in certain circumstances.
  • An XSS (Cross site scripting) issue was discovered with private message titles that has been resolved in this release.
  • An issue where content titles (such as topic titles) from private forums may be exposed under certain search conditions and has been patched in this release.
This release includes a security patch to resolve an XSS (Cross Site Scripting) issue discovered in the search area. We would like to thank Rob Carey for responsibly disclosing this issue to us.

This just gives be a gut feeling there may be more holes we don't know about an the security of my members.
Anyways back to slow IPS4, i've tired everything to speed up the site, minifyed the css & javascript, cached them, used apc/xcache/memcached also used cloudclare but the fasted speed i ever got is 4.76 seconds and i'm not evening using any plugins just stock theme and just the pages application. To me IPS4 is just such a big disappointment.
ai.imgur.com_UcOY5Zm.png

However earlier today i experimented with xenforo, i converted IPS4 to xenforo on my server but on a different dictionary so IPS4 was on mywebsite.com and the convertented xenforo was on mywebsite.com/xf
The results were amazing, i was shocked, the same server IPS4 was struggling on, xenforo smashed IPS4 on performance, Just like the same test i did, stock theme, no plugins/applications installed, IPS4 was tuned abit minfying the css and jaca script and using some caches, IPS4 did it in 6.91 seconds. BUT XENFORO DID IT IN 1.18
ai.imgur.com_HOI2tAA.png

xenforo same thing as IPS4 no plugins stock theme, i converted all threads, posts, accounts, forums etc and without even changing any settings xenforo killed IPS via performance i am astonished by this, my staff also found xenforo way faster then IPS4.

We might actually convert to xenforo due to its speed, better support from the staff and community, and it's security

Last edited:

PacMan

Tazmanian
This just gives be a gut feeling there may be more holes we don't know about an the security of my members.

As for a third party security audit, we do plan that as we have in the past, yes. It does not make sense to do so until we're closer to gold, of course.

IPS 4 has had 7 security patches since April. Was a 3rd party security audit done on IPS4?

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
I always use, http://www.webpagetest.org

Dulles, VA and IE 11, gives you the best test out there, also it is objective cause they are not trying to sell you crap.

Yep, that's the tool I'd recommend too. There are other similar tools (such as GTMetrix), but webpagetest has the best feature/option set.

khafan11

Aspirant
i don't know why in TAZ like to show Spurious of IPS 4 !!!

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/151227_X6_F7M/

http://www.webpagetest.org/result/151227_1R_F97/

just see this ,which one is better?
1374305394732.gif

ozzy47

Tazmanian Master
Considering the XF site is delivering twice the amount of content over the IPS site, I'd sax XF is better. They just need to cache their static content better.

VICE

tool
Yeah, bad comparison.
Try to compare them without CDN.

Edit:
I'm not a member of the Church of Xenforology.
But it doesn't mean IPS is better than XF.

Cake

Neophyte
Yeah, bad comparison.
Try to compare them without CDN.

Without CDN IPS4 11.34 seconds
However xenforo has been untouched - no settings, no cdn, no cache, pure xenforo
and with that xenforo trashed IPS4.

tomk

Adherent
Oh, the fun of installing the 3.4.x series.. then installing the converters (really, it should ship with them already installed).... then importing the XF 1.5 DB into it.... then running the upgrade to 4.1.x series.

Are you really having another go at running a community on IPS 4.1? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

tomk

Adherent
Yep.. figure it's a rather simplistic one.. no need for a gallery, nor usually for embedding YouTube video's (or the like).
Still working on styling it since the paid style I have is not compatible with it (was 2 or 3 patch versions ago).

Sweet, is the URL public/open yet?

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
One thing I find weird in IPB4.

upload_2015-12-30_11-20-39.png

All of this stuff ... I get I dont have permission.
But saying "problem" and giving an error code ? Weird.