IPS: Your passion will cost $1068 per year. And you won't be even be a pro. That's a more expensive plan. You're just the cheap passionate.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't take that long to get ours settled.
Thank you, I can say with some assurance you won't have the same issues as I have had.

It's a long story but the short version is the legal firm my parents were with for 50+ years have turned out to be completely incompetent at best, possibly even operating outside of the UK's financial services rules at worst i.e. they made multiple 'mistakes' in their accounting including one for £250,000, money they held and conveniently lost in their bank account.

I can imagine how difficult a time it must be for you, I lost both parents under difficult circumstances but I've found time is a healer and I wish you well for the future.

rafalp

Desu Ex
Seems like a setup for "Don't you guys have money?" moment in few years ;)

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Increasing average revenue per active user is sound, together with decreasing or just freezing the number of hobbyist-priced licences and services. IPS just succeeded at doing efficiently and facing lesser market rejection what IB failed to with its acquisition of vb and corresponding suicidal policies.

See Discourse for example, an opensource free script that funds its development from just 3000 paying SaaS clients spending each a minimum 100$ a month while legacy scripts like mybb struggle getting 2 donations a month.

The right monetization strategies targetting an audience with flexible spend power enable stronger development activity for the software you depend on, wether its forumware or specific addons. Big shame webmasters dont go the extra mile to contribute to their development at a level matching their sites' earnings.

rafalp

Desu Ex
See Discourse for example, an opensource free script that funds its development from just 3000 paying SaaS clients spending each a minimum 100$ a month while legacy scripts like mybb struggle getting 2 donations a month.

Big difference between the two is that Discourse had initial founding from VC and from get go they sought paying customers and worked on their thing full time with dedicated team. They've always had sales people aggressively pursuing large communities about conversion to discourse and even offered free SaaS package to major open source groups like eg. Python foundation.

Its more likely for Invision to go in next decade "we are making so much monies from our SaaS we may as well move to Discourse model" than it is for MyBB to do the opposite. Speaking from what I saw happening with Misago donations, people are most likely to donate to your project when they feel that its great for their needs and aggressively improved at same time. When frequency of updates at Misago dropped, so did the donations. But this isn't an issue for companies and orgs capable of working on their product full time.

MyBB (and also phpBB) projects are in their plateau phase. They know what they are after, they are in different stages of progress, but those projects are so strapped for dev resources there's years of break between those releases. At same time we don't see many new projects pop up with new blood willing to add new things. Flarum/EsoTalk is latest OS project that comes to mind here that was successful.