IPS: Your passion will cost $1068 per year. And you won't be even be a pro. That's a more expensive plan. You're just the cheap passionate.

Taylor J

Fan
Similar to what I did. I moved one of my projects away from XenForo to WordPress + Buddypress. You won't regret it! Buddypress 2.0 just launched! Truly one of the best decisions I made for my community.

I'm pretty sure Buddypress 2.0 launched in 2014.

DanielF

Participant
Oh and despite all this massive cost, they removed post numbers years ago and refuse to bring them back, even as an admin option. What a petty thing to do. They're important and I couldn't believe it when I found out and just walked away, other, useful features be damned.
What’s the point of post numbers? Do you really use them instead of just linking /quoting the post ?

I as staff will probably see different numbers than a member who’s allowed to view only visible posts and probably also only his own posts which were either soft deleted or are waiting for approval.

I really hated when somebody mentioned “post 10” which was for post 20 for me because there were 7 soft deleted posts posts and 3 from a member which was globally ignored .. I think they called the feature “ tachy goes to coventry”

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The point of post numbers is a visual reference to a post - something people can refer to, e.g. 'reply #22 you said' because for some people that's easier to deal with than anything else. (Especially if we're talking about someone who doesn't want to quote a post but simply refer to it in passing as happens in some discussions. And doubly if we're talking about people who have motor issues and can't easily select text in a post to quote.)

There are ways of solving this, though. Option 1) do what ... vB3? used to do - assign the # regardless so reply #10 really is the same for everyone and just handwave which posts are soft deleted, moderated or globally ignored. Or option 2) use the global post ID everywhere.

There are more extreme options for managing this problem, but I don't think 'eh, it's not useful' was necessarily the best call for it.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
What’s the point of post numbers? Do you really use them instead of just linking /quoting the post ?

I as staff will probably see different numbers than a member who’s allowed to view only visible posts and probably also only his own posts which were either soft deleted or are waiting for approval.

I really hated when somebody mentioned “post 10” which was for post 20 for me because there were 7 soft deleted posts posts and 3 from a member which was globally ignored .. I think they called the feature “ tachy goes to coventry”

I find post numbers to be very handy. If you have so many threads with deleted and ignored posts causing that much a problem as an admin, you might have much bigger issues with your community to worry about.

FTL

Adherent

Just because you can't think of a reason for having them and don't personally want them doesn't mean they're not useful and that customers should be denied. This feature. How about making it optional?

How about asking me nicely why I want them, instead?

Pete and mysiteguy gave some great reasons, I have some more.

When I read a thread, especially the longer variety over more than one page, I often return to posts, especially if I want to reply to them so there post numbers prove very useful as I make a mental note of them.

Another reason: see my siggy? I have a competition there where the member with the 1000th post in the competition thread wins £100. Just how would I do that without post numbers?

Therefore, your argument of what happens to them when a post is deleted isn't relevant.

Yet, this hasn't convinced you, has it?

Pete

IPS for the record uses the 'time the post was posted at' as the direct link to said post.

Hakuna Matata

Neophyte
Reactions: FTL

DarthVader

Participant
Never seen any of those wordpress forums in real life, be it buddypress bbpress or whatever they are named. There must be a reason for.
I had the same thoughts "There must be a reason why I haven't heard of BuddyBoss." I first deeply analyzed it when Alpha1 had mentioned it a few years back. I can't tell you why you haven't seen any WordPress forums (I've tested many of them and nothing compares to BuddyBoss). They focus more on the community-building aspect vs. just a forum. On top of that, the integration with other AMAZING plugins is super.

Take a look, and you can try it for free. It blows XF and IPB out of the water.

They also aren't worried about their competition stealing their ideas. They publish a roadmap.

On top of that, they have an app as well

Take a look

Hakuna Matata

Neophyte
It blows XF and IPB out of the water.
The platform looks good and clean. But it is very rudimentary, when I look at their roadmap. There are many features that IPS and Xenforo already have out of the box. At first glance, what BuddyBoss not have:
  • Create discussion categories inside of forums
  • Built-in spam or captcha support (registrations)
  • Generate profile pictures using member names
  • Require new members, groups and activity posts be approved
  • Use social accounts to login and register
  • and a batch of other features that are default at least in IPS
Promising - yes. Replacement for an existing IPS or Xenforo forums - no.

Pete

The argument over “what is so basic that everyone else has it” is interesting. It’s not always as true as you’d suspect and sometimes breaking from the herd is a good thing.

DarthVader

Participant
The platform looks good and clean. But it is very rudimentary, when I look at their roadmap. There are many features that IPS and Xenforo already have out of the box. At first glance, what BuddyBoss not have:
  • Create discussion categories inside of forums
  • Built-in spam or captcha support (registrations)
  • Generate profile pictures using member names
  • Require new members, groups and activity posts be approved
  • Use social accounts to login and register
  • and a batch of other features that are default at least in IPS
Promising - yes. Replacement for an existing IPS or Xenforo forums - no.
All of these are possible, and if not out of the box, there are many integrations https://www.buddyboss.com/integrations/.

Keep in mind that this is running on WordPress, so you have access to many plugins and developers.

Im speaking from experience, and in my case, I found that BuddyBoss is just a much better and well-rounded community platform than either Xenforo or IPS.

Pete

As someone who exists in the WP ecosystem professionally, access to the ecosystem of plugins is not nearly the wonderful thing it is pitched as. I spend large chunks of my professional life fixing plug-in issues.

FTL

Adherent
The argument over “what is so basic that everyone else has it” is interesting. It’s not always as true as you’d suspect and sometimes breaking from the herd is a good thing.
It's pretty true for this feature, though. The real question is why don't they give it as an option.

Pete

Making things optional is a surprising bane of development and something that a lot of people seem to assume is easy.

It’s honestly not. If you were to have a test system that could test every combination of options, a simple on/off switch doubles the test cases each time. 5 on/off switches = 32 possible combinations. 10 on/off switches = 1024 combinations. 20 on/off switches = 1048576 combinations.

And then if you don’t have tests for all the things people get upset when things are buggy.

It is not sustainable to make everything optional, and to a point nor should it be. I’d rather platforms make their choices and run with it, with plugins for things that people do or don’t want.

It’s kind of the same as the Microsoft Word problem. Everyone uses 2% of its functionality but everyones’ 2% is different.

DarthVader

Participant
As someone who exists in the WP ecosystem professionally, access to the ecosystem of plugins is not nearly the wonderful thing it is pitched as. I spend large chunks of my professional life fixing plug-in issues.
What's your point?

Sure, but it's more wonderful having access to the ecosystem than not having access to one. This gives the customer options - many options...