IPS Pages - Using inline comments or creating forum threads?

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
For you guys/gals using IPS Pages for an extended amount of time, what have you found to be a better offering in your community, allow comments directly against a database record or using the option to create a forum thread and using the forums for discussion of the db record? Or turning both options on? Hhhm.....

fixer

I'm In My Prime
the wall style comments right with the record is what i perfer

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
the wall style comments right with the record is what i perfer
That's where I was leaning initially till I realized that if you have the 'reviews' option turned on then the comments are buried on the second tab of the page (reviews on the first tab, comments on the second). With that scenario I can see the comments / general discussion getting lost so there doing them as a forum thread might get the general discussion about the item better visibility.

fixer

I'm In My Prime
That's where I was leaning initially till I realized that if you have the 'reviews' option turned on then the comments are buried on the second tab of the page (reviews on the first tab, comments on the second). With that scenario I can see the comments / general discussion getting lost so there doing them as a forum thread might get the general discussion about the item better visibility.
True but if you have the records sorted by review by default you want that tab first

Joel R

Fan
1. Whatever you do, I would strongly discourage you from offering Comments and Reviews. They're highly repetitive functions, and one tab gets hidden behind the other. They really weren't meant to work in conjunction, you want to choose one of them.

This happens in multiple places in the suite (like Downloads). I always cringe when I see communities do both. It means they really didn't think deeply about the features of the suite.

2. In regards to your specific question of Forum Topics or Record Comments, it's really up to you. If you need to drive and moderate conversation on the forums, then you can choose Forum Topics.

I'm personally not a big fan of that choice, since it usually leads to one of those bloated boards filled with hundreds and thousands of low-value "New X Posted!" which I personally don't believe offers a lot of value.

DanielF

Aspirant
An alternative solution would be to show either comments or reviews ( depending on what's more important) in the sidebar, or above/below the comments/reviews instead of tabs.

I've built for one of my clients a similar system to amazon product questions and reviews.

First we show the recent comments (with inline pagination to see all of them) and then you get the reviews :)
Works quite nice for us.

The sidebar was our first implementation, but it didn't work out, there wasn't enough space, but I guess it could work for databases, databases, where you only need a simple comment feature without a full editor and without attachments and other media...