IPB's Warning System - How to Use This Feature Effectively

andy120

Aspirant
andy120 submitted a new Article:

IPB's Warning System - How to Use This Feature Effectively

A warning system is a great way to keep track of troublesome members on a large board. Invision Power Board has done an excellent job of creating such a system on their software. However, it can be confusing to set up such a system and implement it properly. If used correctly, this function can ease the management of your board and save you tons of time.

This article will deal with Invision Power Board 2.1.x, however the instructions can easily be adapted to fit most versions of IPB. To access the Warn Set-Up, first log into your administration center and click on the “Tools & Settings” tab. Then select “Warn Set-up” which is by default the last item in the list. This will bring you to the Warn set-up page. Here, you can control all the technical aspects of the warning system.

The main options (other than enabling the warn system) deal with the configuration of the warning levels. The Minimum Warn Level is generally fine when set to zero for a normal warning system. It’s the Maximum Warn level that it really important. This determines how much percent of a user’s warn level is increased each time they are warned. To figure out the percentage per warning, you divide 100 by the maximum warn level. So if you set the maximum warn level to 5, each warning increases the warn level by 20%. Usually 5 is a good level for this. The next option is protected groups. Choose groups that cannot be warned here. This is used when you allow moderators to warn people. This way you as admin, or your global moderators, can be exempt from being warned. If you want members to see their own warning levels, choose yes for the next option. This is really personal preference, but I like to allow members to know why they have been warned so I select yes. If you want warnings to continue once the max has been reached, select yes on the next option, however if you set up a discipline system for users who have reached maximum warnings, there really is no need to enable this. The last option in this section is the visual indicator type. Since this is a warning system and not a rating or approval system, select the warn mode with graphical blocks & percentages.

Before we discuss moderator permissions for warning, I want to talk about how to make a warn system effective. Warnings will mean nothing to the user unless they are backed up with some kind of action. One way to put force behind these warnings is to create a discipline...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

miraga715

Aspirant
I think this article is essential to having a forum smooth running. I know for a fact that not all members are good members and this will address some type of fairness. But having trusting and fair moderators are the hardest thing to decide on after reading and implementing this article.

shaon

Where is the God?
An excellent article there, Andy:D This will help me in utilizing the warn system to the fullest extent. Thank you, man. :)

KarlH

Phew
This is excellent, I implemented this when I started using IPB, and It's effective. If you set it so members can't see warns, it's good just for mods to keep track of a members actions, wheras I enable them to see their warnings, as I believe when they see bars lit up, they realise it's getting them nowhere. Nice article:blueyup:

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
Good article. We don't use the warning system, and it's been about two years for us. But I can see how, if a team doesn't have a lot of time, or if the community is very very large, the warning system could come in handy.

Thanks for the write-up Andy

:)

gogo

Jura

Devotee
If warnings don't send PMs to the person getting the warning automatically (I don't think it does), I think it's useless.

hiphopave.net

Participant
Not to dig up old threads, but I just started using IPB and this article is sheer gold...

WeathermanTyler

Neophyte
Please help me!

Hi,

I am a global moderator at forums.accuweather.com and we use the warning system of IPB very often.

We used to be able to suspend member's accounts when warning people, but there were some changes made by the admin, and he cannot figure out how to reapply that same feature.

So I ask::banana:

How can the admin set up the warning system so that global moderators can suspend members via the warn panel? :coffee:

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect
Hi,

I am a global moderator at forums.accuweather.com and we use the warning system of IPB very often.

We used to be able to suspend member's accounts when warning people, but there were some changes made by the admin, and he cannot figure out how to reapply that same feature.

So I ask::banana:

How can the admin set up the warning system so that global moderators can suspend members via the warn panel? :coffee:

Admin CP -> TOOLS & SETTINGS -> Warn Set-up