IPBFree is closed

Jura

Devotee
...due to AIDS.

Thoughts and any insight? I didn't see any thread about this.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
From the IPS forum.

bfarber said:
We have no involvement with or association with IPBFree. We have no way to assist with any issues you may face or have previously faced at www.ipbfree.com.
Which means -only- that they were not the maintainers of the service, and that for any issues with it, you should harass the people behind IPBfree.
That did not deny at all IPS responsibility for the shutdown.

Regarding supposed largescale piracy-themed forums hosted there, I'll raise a BS flag. There's no reason IPB hosts would specifically be targetted (simultaneously) and others not.

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
I didn't really get it either. Oh well. If they were able to migrate using nneonneo's converter, then you would be good. The biggest shame was that it was without notice.

Speaking of IPS though, a few of the designers seemed pretty glad that it's gone because apparently IPBFree was ripping off their skins.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Food for thought.

Were the 2 services even separate/run by unrelated people, on separate hoting, and its expenses paid?
Datacenters dont keep non-paying customers forever, and wipe servers after time.

This whole affair smells like rotten fish. When people deliberately hide something like this, you cant help but call foul.
Webhosts and free hosts go down all the time, this is nothing either surprising or shocking.
What is so special here for this much secrecy?

Twitter seems to show some credible answers. One of the admins (tom something told someone to not ask about something that happened in '07. This could likely be it).
http://twitter.com/jbarker79

@Xaliber Vipul is not the owner of iPBfree. I am. Vipul sold his shares to me in '07. He was the system admin for iPBfree
#iPBFree had no legal issues. It was due to financial issues on my part due to my divorce.
5:58 AM Jul 16th
IPBfree is dead. Please use another host. Truly sorry.
8:07 AM Jul 16th
@Xaliber You should check the whois info on the website.
9:32 PM Jul 16th
@Xaliber No, from 2008 onwards.
10:11 PM Jul 16th

Last edited:

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
You're right. You shouldn't just leave someone out in the dark, throw some rumours out, and expect them to forget.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
The most curious bit is the alternating between excuses. They sometimes say it disappeared fully outside their control, but elsewhere say that they shut it down themselves and by their own choice. And so on...

No DMCAs were involved, they were fully legal with IPS, but theyre "legally cant talk about it".

Even raids dont get servers purged or their data witheld. The data still should exist somewhere.

The domain wasn't even redirecting to an information webpage or a backup discussion forum, but a parked page. Someone in control of their own hosting/domain wouldnt fail so much to not be able to get their domain to redirect to a backup info page, which is why a hidden ownership or ownership change at sometime seemed likely. That could suggest that those known as 'managers' mightve just had or kept the title, like for the sake of appearances.

Issue is, even the funds/divorce thing doesnt hold that much. The service couldve been sold for big bucks.
Quite the way to clean crowded hosting accounts, if I had to imply underhandedness. Would work wonders if one of the parties intended to restart a similar service but without the legacy of thousands of accounts, many of wich likely inactive or just not making sense to keep around.

Last edited:

Dr3am1ng

Aspirant
This is bad. I just feel sorry for anyone with a board at IPBFree. I never used them. Never Would either. I always thought they were a terrible free forum host. Even the CSS was complicated in my eyes.

And what about the Zathyus Networks? They are some sort of different form of IPB? I don't know... I was told this by someone. I hope they don't go down as well. And the biggest let-down is that there wasn't a single bit of notice?

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
InvisionFree is a modified version of IPB 1.3, IPB's last version before they went paid. IPS isn't involved with them in any way. However, Zetaboards is a new forum software. Whether it is based of InvisionFree or is built from scratch, we don't know.

cfr

Neophyte
Let me go on ahead and say a few things.

A: Vipul was the owner of iPBFree. Sorry, there was no sold shares, and I'm not sure where you got that information.
B: There was no divorce involved. That, along with not burning enough sacrifices to Mesopotamian Gods, hacking, bankrupcy, etc. are all rumors spread throughout the net.
C: There are now fake iPBFree twitter accounts, facebook pages, etc. out there trying to get you to believe anything.
D: Yes, there was some legal problems we cannot disclose. However, we were legal with IPS and we were not shut down do to slow responses to violating boards. Yes, we tried to keep up with users ripping designs, and any free host you go to will have them.
E: Zetaboards was built from scratch from 04-07ish. It is suppose to be completely different from IPB. If you thought the CSS to iPBFree was hard (it was similar to iPB2.0) you should try ZB.

Believe me when I say, I really wish we had been given the option to warn our users. I lost my site of 8,000 members that we built from a simple resource forum to the main home of support for ipbfree. 4 years worth is hard to get back; However, it pales in comparison to the hundreds / thousands of users who lost irreplaceable things with this shutdown.

If you have any questions, you can hit my gmail @catfriedrice or twitter @catfriedrice/ tom's twitter @tomlough. Of course, if you ask what our legal problem was, we will not be able to answer it.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Either you shut it down, or you got shut down. You decided, or 'X' forced you to or did it.
It doesn't take a genius to answer that, and it certainly is not 'ask for what the legal problem' is.
Certainly it can be explained why the domain is not displaying a notice, redirecting to a backup forum, or anything?

Unless there is proof of the contrary, the fault for the shutdown still lies within the IPBfree managers, until they name a reason and a culprit.

A: Vipul was the owner of iPBFree.
What was his involvement in this, reaction, and measures taken to right this wrong?
Anyone else that wouldve had data or servers snatched from them wouldve put considerable effort in trying to at least save as much data as possible. Yet it seems like absolutely -zero- effort is put in that. Apoplectic comments on twitter don't restore data or make any sincere amends. Sometimes ipbfree supposed representative state it was their doing, another that it was imposed upon them and outside their control. The same story at least could be standardized on.

The domain still exists. Make it display a notice and redirect to a discussion board where the users are discussing, if you are not 'fake' of course.
If not, please explain why you refuse to, or supposedly can't.

That still begs the question of in whose control was and currently is the domain, and where are the physical servers currently. Even cop investigations wouldn't have servers wiped out, and certainly not 'impossible' to return after cloning. Where is the data? Webhost, datacenter...

Surely the sicilian mafia didn't physically steal the servers and run away with them ?

Last edited:

bfarber

Developer
From the IPS forum.

Which means -only- that they were not the maintainers of the service, and that for any issues with it, you should harass the people behind IPBfree.
That did not deny at all IPS responsibility for the shutdown.

Regarding supposed largescale piracy-themed forums hosted there, I'll raise a BS flag. There's no reason IPB hosts would specifically be targetted (simultaneously) and others not.

Just to clarify my quote as it seems to be taken out of context or misunderstood here...to my knowledge IPS had no involvement at all with the shutting down of IPBFree.

The text you quoted I merely posted so that users who might reach our boards that used IPBFree would not mistakenly believe that we had some involvement with the site or would be able to assist in some way.

BSMedia

Adherent
This is a waste of time.

Another free host gone...oh well. Move on.

I agree, anyone with an ounce of respect for their website or it's members never would have been hosted at a free site to begin with.

Sorry if some little kid lost his anime pokemon site that had purple dinosaurs and ripped art work all over it, but frankly I feel no sympathy or sorrow for anyone or anything that was hosted there.

blackhawkdown

Aspirant
Sorry if some little kid lost his anime pokemon site that had purple dinosaurs and ripped art work all over it, but frankly I feel no sympathy or sorrow for anyone or anything that was hosted there.

Piracy is on all free services. Google, Yahoo, and others are not exempt. Piracy is inevitable due to its anonymity. Youtube has the same issues...so does google image search (except they don't ask your permission for sticking up your copyrighted contents).

On paid services, you must give your real name and billing address....that right there cuts the crap.

DaveL

Habitué
I agree, anyone with an ounce of respect for their website or it's members never would have been hosted at a free site to begin with.

Thats a little bit harsh in my opinion. Not everyone that wishes to start a forum can afford to do so.