IPB - Special Characters Problem

GrizzlyA

Neophyte
So for some reason passwords with special characters (!, @, $, etc) do not work.
Any idea why IP.Board is doing this? (I also tried mysql & mysqli)

This is the script I wrote:
Code:
<?php
// Script Details
define( 'IPB_THIS_SCRIPT', 'public' );

// Include Headers
require_once( './initdata.php' );
require_once( IPS_ROOT_PATH . 'sources/base/ipsRegistry.php' );

// Initialize Registry
IPSRegistry::init();

// Include Headers (After Registry)
require_once( IPS_ROOT_PATH . 'sources/base/ipsMember.php' );

// Check Parameters
if (!isset($_GET['id']) || !isset($_GET['pw']))
{
// Display Error
echo "MISSING_PARAMETERS";

// Stop Execution
exit;
}

// Setup Parameters
$Parameter['UserID'] = $_GET['id'];
$Parameter['Password'] = md5($_GET['pw']);

// Authenticate User
if ( ipsMember::authenticateMember( $Parameter['UserID'], $Parameter['Password'] ) == true )
echo "SUCCESS_LOGIN";
else
echo "FAIL_LOGIN";

// Stop Execution
exit();
?>

dtdesign

Developer
My guess is that your input data doesn't match the encoding used by IP.B. For instance, content encoded with ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 has a different binary representation and algorithms such as md5() work with the binary data directly, as a result the hash will differ even though the content itself is identical.

GrizzlyA

Neophyte
My guess is that your input data doesn't match the encoding used by IP.B. For instance, content encoded with ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 has a different binary representation and algorithms such as md5() work with the binary data directly, as a result the hash will differ even though the content itself is identical.
I found the fix, for some reason IPB saves special chars in their HTML form (thus "!" becomes "&#0033;")
It's really stupid and I coded a function that replaces input data with their HTML form, isn't there a way in IPB to do this?

Thanks!

dtdesign

Developer
It's really stupid and I coded a function that replaces input data with their HTML form, isn't there a way in IPB to do this?
I'm sorry, but I have never really worked with IP.B and I was just making an educated guess :D

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I found the fix, for some reason IPB saves special chars in their HTML form (thus "!" becomes "&#0033;")
I imagine it's their push to be "pure html"... and it steps in at some unexpected places.