IPB SEO Capability vs Xen, VB

Mugzy

Forum Manager
I have been considering moving on from the old vbulletin 4.2.5 however I do not want to risk losing traffic. Is one forum software better than the other for SEO? If so do you have statistics to show it?

Thank you

Nabix

I have been considering moving on from the old vbulletin 4.2.5 however I do not want to risk losing traffic. Is one forum software better than the other for SEO? If so do you have statistics to show it?

Thank you
The software itself wont have that much on an impact on SEO performance (*when talking about large paid softwares like ipb). Of course if you use a free script that has literally no SEO settings then yes that would be bad.

Switching from vB4 to IPB would be an amazing change from the start. :LOL: Not to mention all the new changes coming to the latest version! IPB and Xenforo have amazing SEO capabilities. However, forums in part aren't taken as seriously in search engines as they used to be. SEO is important, but again, content is king. That is what brings people in. And hopefully keeps them there. :tup:

In your shoes I would be more concered with how the memberbase will be affected by the change. From personal experience. Loyal users and 'older generation' users tend to not be so accepting of the change in software because they are simply so accustomed to the current. Run a quick poll and ask them what they think. You results may surprise you!

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Both Xenforo and Invision Community will migrate over your data and keep it safe. In terms of SEO, both products largely to the same thing so I wouldn't make SEO a key deciding factor.

What you want to focus on is how you onboard guest visitors captured from search results, how to promote content to attract audiences from social media and so on.

TLChris

Administrator
While both offer out of the box SEO benefits from vBulletin 4, the redirects and internal linking shouldn't be overlooked no matter where you land.
While you are testing the migration, make sure you test those redirects. Without redirects, and depending on the community, it can take years to recover any linking you may have going on.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
While both offer out of the box SEO benefits from vBulletin 4, the redirects and internal linking shouldn't be overlooked no matter where you land.
While you are testing the migration, make sure you test those redirects. Without redirects, and depending on the community, it can take years to recover any linking you may have going on.
Sure, good point. Our conversions app takes care of all that too.

Alfa1

Administrator
This question is extremely wide in scope and not only depends upon the capabilities of the software, but also the site that is migrating. i.e. if you have a massive SEO optimized vbulletin 4 site with a lot of additional content types then migration to IPS or XenForo can be way more challenging than migrating a small vb4 forum.

Both platforms are mobile friendly, can load fast and have many possibilities to cater to SEO and in the case of IPS also SMO. Still Google is not fond of either platform, compared to forums like Reddit, Quora or StackExchange.

You will probably find this thread informative:

It needs to be said that IPS hired SEO firm Yoast to do a SEO audit and implemented a series of improvements according to the audit results:
XenForo however responded to this by stating:
Chris D said:
We don’t currently acknowledge that there are any significant shortcomings in our SEO approach.
See the posts by Chris D in the thread linked above.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Funny how people talk about the decline in ranking in search engines when I see increases year after year. Maybe they aren't focusing on the right things. This has been especially true since 2016, traffic and revenue both way up.

Dan18

Fan
Funny how people talk about the decline in ranking in search engines when I see increases year after year.
I was just affected on Google's Update this month, just curious do you use Cloudflare on your Forums or not?