IPB Performance Scores

alterigo

Neophyte
We are looking at several community platforms and trying to decide which ones are rich in features and also performant. IPB is definitely full of great features but this performance score concerns us. I have yet to come across a site that scores close to 90. A response from IPB relating to the performance of their sites will be greatly appreciated.

IPB Lightspeed Score.png

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Hi!

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have for Invision Community.

Out of the box, Invision Community is set up for efficiency. The challenge of creating an efficient front end for multiple different types of page views, user generated content is something we put a lot of time into. With a rich interface, it inevitably comes at a cost in terms of requiring more javascript, CSS and HTML code. The framework loads a lot on demand (including lazy loading images and videos) to mitigate loading megabytes of code with each page view.

We send correct cache headers, have options for optimising user added images and other tools to encourage efficiency which can be managed by the administrators.

Tools like PageSpeed are useful to see where improvements can be made, but in my experience getting from 80% to 100% requires a lot of persistence and diminishing returns in real terms.

Here's the PageSpeed for our company forums.

1610374161527.png

We are marked down on "Serve static assets with an efficient cache policy" because of 3 JS files (2 x Facebook, 1 x Google analytics); "Avoid an excessive DOM size" which is hard to do with a rich dynamic page showing dozens of pieces of user generated content; "Avoid enormous network payloads" of which are user added images (500kb or so) and Giphy videos.

We continue to make improvements to the things which we are marked down for, but given we need to use external JS for analytics and log in buttons; we need lots of DOM elements to show the data and users add unoptimised images, it's not something we can completely solve and we have to question are we making real life improvements, or just keeping a algorithmic test happy? šŸ˜‚

I'm happy to answer anything specifically that you may have concerns with.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
And finally, just so you can see that Invision Community is efficient when set up correctly, here's the forum view where there's very little user generated content.

1610375297839.png