IP. Board vs. XenForo

JLT

Aspirant
My community is currently using IP. Board 4.1 however I'm considering converting to XenForo. I haven't updated to the latest version of IP. Board as I don't like a lot of the changes in newer versions of IP. Board. I don't know whether XenForo is taking a better direction than IP. Board. My IP. Board installation has data converted from vBulletin 3 so I'm a little concerned about converting over to new software again as I've had issues with the password hashes before.

Should I convert over? Will I have any technical issues from doing so?

Nabix

JLT

Only you can really answer that question. Will there be tech issues? With any change in software/database architecture there can be issues.

First, I would ask yourself whats best for the users of your site. Will the change in software effect your users negatively? Would they even care to change? What benefits would you receive from changing? The reason I ask is from experience. Starting a forum then changing your software after you have members actively using it can cause people not to be as active or leave completely. A little change is okay, but when it feels the staff cant make up their minds then its not worth the time.

Also, if your users are used to the way the site is and enjoy it, then stick with it.

As for Xenforo, have you tried a demo to see if this software would be a good fit?

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I haven't updated to the latest version of IP. Board as I don't like a lot of the changes in newer versions of IP. Board.

That's interesting because I really like all the recent additions and changes to such an extent I'm considering migrating at least one of my forums to IP.Board/Invision Community (or whatever they call themselves now :LOL:).

I'm far more familiar with Xenforo and that's been my platform of choice for quite some time but I feel Invision has taken a very strong lead in terms of functionality and modernization. Is there anything specific that makes you want to migrate?

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
I am very interested as well to know what changes the OP does not like in the newest version of Ipb. All the new things that I have seen being added to Ipb 4.5. are simply awesome and amazing imo. Xenforo can not be even compared to Ipb 4.5. anymore. It is like comparing the newest car with one from the past century which it still brings you from A to B, it even has a couple of things which might have been cool at the time, but that is about it.

Ipb is the future imo.

Last edited:

Matt M

Developer
I'd love to know what you're not so keen on in more up to date versions of Invision Community too. :D

DigNap15

Fan
Xenforo is my first forum as an admin.
As a user of many forums, I think it is way of ahead of most of the others, eg Vbulletin board , mybb etc.
But I am not so familiar with Invision, as I don't think its used by any of the forums I am a member of.

DigNap15

Fan
All the new things that I have seen being added to Ipb 4.5. are simply awesome and amazing imo. Xenforo can not be even compared to Ipb 4.5. anymore. It is like comparing the newest car with one from the past century which it still brings you from A to B, it even has a couple of things which might have been cool at the time, but that is about it.
Thats a bit of an exageration surely!
Cannot be compared!
What would me and my members gain from changing to Invision?

haqzore

Devotee
Thats a bit of an exageration surely!
Cannot be compared!
What would me and my members gain from changing to Invision?
XF is great forum software. Very few will argue that.

But that's it.

IPS is great holistic community software whose limits are your own.

Want a forum / gallery? IPS can do that.
Want CMS? IPS can do that.
Want to let your users have blogs? IPS can do that.
How about an integrated Calendar? IPS can do that.

What about letting your members create & manage their own groups?
And letting those groups make their own CMS Pages?
And letting those groups manage their own separate forums & sub-forums?
And letting those groups run their own galleries? And events calendars?

IPS can do all that & more.

Now the common argument is "too much bloat". But you get to pick & choose.
Don't need it? Don't use it.

Isn't it nice to have the option if - months or even years later - your community evolves & has use for these things? I think so.

And lets not forget all of that is 100% first-party, so there's no fear of compatibility or lagged updates keeping you on old versions.

Last edited:

Taylor J

Fan
Put me in the group that I'd also like to know what changes OP isn't liking.

l3ta

Enthusiast
IPS is about to release a sweet new version with tonnes of new features and stuff. But XF is pure magic. You already feel its lure and you know you want it bad. Go with XF and don't look back!

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
Lots of love for both IPS and XF in this thread. But the real question is why are you considering changing software in the first place? Are you having issues with it? Are your users unhappy with it? Is it missing some features your forum needs?

Figuring out all the reasons you want to change your forum software will help point you towards which product will serve your needs best.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
IPS is about to release a sweet new version with tonnes of new features and stuff. But XF is pure magic. You already feel its lure and you know you want it bad. Go with XF and don't look back!

What is so pure magic about xenforo for crying out loud? You want pure magic, take a look at Ipb 4.5. Xf is a has been.

ManagerJosh

Adherent
My community is currently using IP. Board 4.1 however I'm considering converting to XenForo. I haven't updated to the latest version of IP. Board as I don't like a lot of the changes in newer versions of IP. Board. I don't know whether XenForo is taking a better direction than IP. Board. My IP. Board installation has data converted from vBulletin 3 so I'm a little concerned about converting over to new software again as I've had issues with the password hashes before.

Should I convert over? Will I have any technical issues from doing so?

I would let your membership kick the tires around and see which ones they like better.

JLT

Aspirant
JLT

Only you can really answer that question. Will there be tech issues? With any change in software/database architecture there can be issues.

First, I would ask yourself whats best for the users of your site. Will the change in software effect your users negatively? Would they even care to change? What benefits would you receive from changing? The reason I ask is from experience. Starting a forum then changing your software after you have members actively using it can cause people not to be as active or leave completely. A little change is okay, but when it feels the staff cant make up their minds then its not worth the time.

Also, if your users are used to the way the site is and enjoy it, then stick with it.

As for Xenforo, have you tried a demo to see if this software would be a good fit?

I don't think it would make much of a difference to my members.

That's interesting because I really like all the recent additions and changes to such an extent I'm considering migrating at least one of my forums to IP.Board/Invision Community (or whatever they call themselves now :LOL:).

I'm far more familiar with Xenforo and that's been my platform of choice for quite some time but I feel Invision has taken a very strong lead in terms of functionality and modernization. Is there anything specific that makes you want to migrate?

I am very interested as well to know what changes the OP does not like in the newest version of Ipb. All the new things that I have seen being added to Ipb 4.5. are simply awesome and amazing imo. Xenforo can not be even compared to Ipb 4.5. anymore. It is like comparing the newest car with one from the past century which it still brings you from A to B, it even has a couple of things which might have been cool at the time, but that is about it.

Ipb is the future imo.

I'd love to know what you're not so keen on in more up to date versions of Invision Community too. :D

Lots of love for both IPS and XF in this thread. But the real question is why are you considering changing software in the first place? Are you having issues with it? Are your users unhappy with it? Is it missing some features your forum needs?

Figuring out all the reasons you want to change your forum software will help point you towards which product will serve your needs best.

IP. Board 4.4 is horrible. Each design revision has been worse than the last. 4.4 looks hideously outdated and is very difficult to read. I don't have time to manually modernize everything. It looks more outdated than any version of XenForo. I remember the IP. Board 4 beta was a work of art and then each version looked worse than the last as if they were purposely making it look more outdated to fit in with older versions of the software. Probably were listening to feedback from older customers not wanting to modernize.

IP. Board 4.5 is the best looking design since IP. Board 3 and IP. Board 4.0 which is surprising. It's the most promising design in years. I am worried it will decline again and purposely become outdated. IP. Board was on a downward spiral. 4.5 looks like it has picked back up again but who knows how long it will last whereas XenForo has been consistently good.

I will admit IP. Board's highs are a lot higher than XenForo's

Last edited:

Taylor J

Fan
If your complaints are only about how the default theme looks why not use a premade or custom one?

In my opinion yes the new one looks really good the current one that comes with 4.4 doesn't look outdated at all.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
How a forum looks is not a reason I'd ever change software. Most users don't care (or notice) what a site looks like, as long as it works for them.

Having said that, I can understand how it can be difficult for the admin to keep working with something they aren't enjoying. I guess it's a matter of balancing your comfort with the needs of your users. Have you gotten complaints about the site? Have you done a survey to see how comfortable your membership is with changing software?

gConverter

Participant
IP. Board 4.4 is horrible. Each design revision has been worse than the last. 4.4 looks hideously outdated and is very difficult to read.
Wow, it's very strong... Hey, let's understand why you think the design is outdated. Could you please say which of these forum designs are modern? It's very important to understand the main aspect of the "outdated" and "modern" design. So just tell me the number of screenshot you think is modern and which one is outdated:

2020-04-29_2027.png 29-04-2020-00-00-00.png wpForo-QA-Forum-Layout-2.png 2020-04-29_2033.png
2020-04-29_2031.png 2020-04-29_2030.png 2020-04-29_2040.png

I'm a little concerned about converting over to new software again as I've had issues with the password hashes before.
BTW, in case if you'll need migrate your forum. We at gConveter Team care about the passwords. We create temporary passwords during the migration and provide you a tool to send all new passwords to your users via users email, so they get new passwords right after the migration.

Attachments

• 2020-04-29_2028.png
    2020-04-29_2028.png
    141.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 1588178303788.png
    1588178303788.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 21

overcast

Adherent
I am huge fan of IP forum. The reason being they are pretty much consistent with their design and also less clutter.