Inviting people from Facebook

Faust

Enthusiast
Hi. Has anyone tried to invite people from Facebook to join your forum? How practical is it ?

l3ta

Participant
Tried doing that on both twitta and FB. Became quite popular on twitta, with over 5K followers, none of which ever joined my forum. They preferred to interact with me on social media. Gotta say, twitta was fun, man.

TLChris

Administrator
Depends on where you are inviting them from. I've seen some limited success growing traffic, and newsletter lists from posting more article based to a Facebook group. The article will have a modal to capture emails, that will send links from the newsletters. From there the user base grows slowly but surely. I've seen a brand new forum start from doing that.

Faust

Enthusiast
Mmm, I meant to PM every people separate and to invite to join, is that practical.?

Nabix

Alright, and thats not effective?
ummm. . . I would say no, its not effective. Most people would generally disregard it as spam, might even get reported. Facebook its super catchy in some areas and totally lacking in others.

Faust

Enthusiast
Mmm, and of Facebook does catch the account as a spammer, they totally ban it or ?

TLChris

Administrator
They would limit sharing a url after so many messages. You'd be better off to target and using FB ads than spam unsolicited, and untargeted folks.

kik0lasi

Aspirant
In facebook we have a friend that has a facebook page with good position in ranking when searching about our forum's theme, but it made no effect. We also tried in Twitter, got a lot of rts, favs and even a lot of answers, but no interactions with the profile and no follows.

Faust

Enthusiast
The things is , people can join on my forum only if they been invited :)

Nabix

In the case of a referral only site, you are going to be relying heavly on your current members to send out invites. Also, making your forum to were people can apply for access is the best way. Then later they can be given the golden ticket. Just hope the content is worth staying.

Faust

Enthusiast
In the case of a referral only site, you are going to be relying heavly on your current members to send out invites. Also, making your forum to were people can apply for access is the best way. Then later they can be given the golden ticket. Just hope the content is worth staying.
what do you mean ?

evcom

Aspirant
I've once tried to invite FB people from a FB group I managed. It was mostly unsuccessful. What worked so far better for me is, if someone posted useful content on FB, invite them to post it also in your forums.
And, I would not recommend to invite people from groups that do not belong to you.
Just think of it this way: Would you like it, if others are trying to get your members to join a group with same/similar topic?

Faust

Enthusiast
I've once tried to invite FB people from a FB group I managed. It was mostly unsuccessful. What worked so far better for me is, if someone posted useful content on FB, invite them to post it also in your forums.
And, I would not recommend to invite people from groups that do not belong to you.
Just think of it this way: Would you like it, if others are trying to get your members to join a group with same/similar topic?

If you asking someone from fb group to post on your forum, is pretty much the same as you invite them to forum :), isn't it?

evcom

Aspirant
In a way it's the same, yes. However there are some fine differences. People that post useful content on FB might also be happy to post it elsewhere.
Inviting people that just comment on FB, might be less likely to join (more passive users). And there is a small difference in asking directly to join and asking to post. If you ask people to join, then they might feel that you ask them to be an active member. If you ask them to post something interesting they have posted already elesewhere, they seem to be mostly okay with that. Although they might not become regular members...Just give it a try and see what works best in your case.

Faust

Enthusiast
In a way it's the same, yes. However there are some fine differences. People that post useful content on FB might also be happy to post it elsewhere.
Inviting people that just comment on FB, might be less likely to join (more passive users). And there is a small difference in asking directly to join and asking to post. If you ask people to join, then they might feel that you ask them to be an active member. If you ask them to post something interesting they have posted already elesewhere, they seem to be mostly okay with that. Although they might not become regular members...Just give it a try and see what works best in your case.
I might give a try , thanks

overcast

Adherent
I have seen some generic niches on webmaster and chat forums just don't work out if you try to invite from the facebook.