Invision is now using 4.5 on their community

R0binHood

Habitué
Looks good, but why are the editor buttons so fuzzy?! They look terrible considering the upgrades elsewhere. Are they using an old version of CK Editor?

Ingenious

Fan
It looks and feels nice. But for me it is still missing a one-click and obvious way to get to a concise list of new posts ("activity" leads to a page with lots of pointless stuff like people changing profile images etc).

ibaker

Enthusiast
It looks and feels nice. But for me it is still missing a one-click and obvious way to get to a concise list of new posts ("activity" leads to a page with lots of pointless stuff like people changing profile images etc).
You can change that in the settings

I think it looks good and great new features for IPS site users

Ingenious

Fan
You can change that in the settings
If anyone has links to sites that do this (for guests) I'd love to see them please or PM me if off-topic for this thread. A list of the latest threads that have new posts. It's one of the sticking points for me moving from XF.

ibaker

Enthusiast
lots of pointless stuff like people changing profile images etc
This is what I meant that you can select not to show but in terms of showing guests new posts, that can't be done in IPS or Xenforo either.
Screenshot_20200612-205055_Chrome.jpg

Ingenious

Fan
Thanks, so if you unselect all of those, does "All activity" just show latest posts? Is it per thread like Xenforo or every single post is listed separately?

in terms of showing guests new posts, that can't be done in IPS or Xenforo either.
Latest/recent posts then for guests rather than "new" (as read content isn't tracked)- ie. threads listed in order of newest posts first.

What I am trying to recreate in IPB is if you log out of TAZ (as an example) and click What's New you get a simple and easy list of the latest content, even as a guest:

Screenshot 2020-06-12 at 14.33.52.png

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Congratulations on the next step IPS team! The new style looks great, though I don't see the awesome new topic summary sidebar like on the Alpha site. I guess that is an optional feature.
It's there, but we set it to only show when you get 3 or more pages on our own community.

R0binHood

Habitué
onsidering the upgrades elsewhere. Are they using
Yeah, this threw me last night. But once you delve into the activity section and play with the filters you can pretty quickly get to a ‘new posts’ screen with just a list of thread titles of recently active threads.

I just tried to do the same on mobile though and I can figure it out. The best I can find is a condensed view of all activity, and it’s a total mess. Bizarre.

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
This is it. It’s the custom activity stream, which isn’t visible to logged out users. I think you should try to make this available to logged out visitors.
Hm, we have guest page caching which means that it's not really possible. Ideally you want to get people to sign up to interact with the community beyond a simple 'read only' way coupled with that we don't track read items for guests.

I can set up a guest stream of all content, most recent first but it won't show you "what's new".

Last edited:

R0binHood

Habitué
Yeah, I think that's what a lot of people look for when they land on a new forum, at least I do. They don't need read tracking as a guest, but they want to get an idea of what kind of recent content and activity there is (without the 'Frank liked Jeff's post' fluff), be able to browse those topics and then jump into them.

I want to be able to see a list of all the recently active threads and perhaps some recent media/other content types if applicable. The list style by thread title only gives me the relevant information I want about what kind of topics are being talked about, in which subforums and how active the site is. If you have a list of 20 threads you can get a rough idea of if it's the kind of site that gets a couple posts a day or a couple posts a second. Then I can dig into the full thread view to start reading.

Having all the activity is just information overload at that point though, and I'm not interested in any of it unless it's in a live stream widget or something off to the side to give another sense of life and activity on the site.

LTT has the condensed view when I'm logged out on their site.

1591986315161.png

I think what also throws me about the IPS format, is that I don't like all the text that is describing the activity, presented in a format that is meant to be read as a sentence. A condensed What's New activity feed is meant to be scanned. And the tabular layout XF uses, combined with slight design differentiation of each value such as the user names in different styles or colours from a good theme makes this much easier to digest by scanning.

This example from OcUK is good, as it puts emphasis on the thread titles so I can easily read through them, but it's still easy to differentiate which forum the topic is in. I don't really care who posted the last message, but it's off to the side if I want to see it. I don't care if someone posted a new topic, I can see it's a new topic because it's got 0 replies. No need to spell it out for me.

1591985722905.png

The other thing that's annoying about the IPS feed is that it duplicates content. I don't care if two people replied to a post. Don't make me read the same thing twice. Just put one entry int the feed that that thread has a recent post. Doesn't make much sense.

1591986123314.png

You could argue that it makes sense in the expanded view where you show the post content. But even then it doesn't make much sense as the content is being presented in the wrong order to read.

Feeds are obviously hard, but the lack of a basic new posts page on IPS boards that is a simple list of recently active threads frustrates me and always puts me off those sites.

R0binHood

Habitué
I do like the new filter menu of the activity feed though. You could show a simplified version that doesn't rely on unread status, and content ownership. Just so visitors can browse by tags and content types. That would be a cool way for a visitor to browse and discover all the latest content posted a bit easier.

DigNap15

Adherent
Wow.
That is very interesting.
I have a XF forum
And I compared my What New etc to the comments above.
And I think my forum shows Guests what is happening quite well.
So I am glad I chose XF

I bought a tablet, just so that I can see what my forum looks like in desktop and mobile view