Invision hosting suggestions

sactown

Aspirant
I'm considering going with Invision Community for a new project and was wondering if anyone had recommendations or insights to share into hosting services and/or features that do particularly well with invision. For reference I would be eventually using most if not all of their suite of apps. I'm assuming a managed VPS or similar environment but open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
If you're likely to use all of their apps, thier own solution isn't a bad idea. That's the whole lot for $45 a month.

Only thing that puts me off is the active user limitation. It's a pretty large jump is price if your community does get going, especially if like in a lot of cases the jump is fairly short lived. You can downgrade again I beleive, but for someone still starting out, $70 a month is a lot to find.

Disk space is very limited as well, but that is easily overcome by the ability to transfer your attachments to an external provider.

we_are_borg

Administrator
I agree with Dubbed Navigator the user limit is what i do not like, also what do they provide like email more space if needed. If not then its expensive because you will need a lot of other stuff to get running.

haqzore

Devotee
Why not start small & upgrad later? Use whatever host you've liked in the past, upgrade package when needed.

I've started 2 different IPS sites on shared hosting with no problem. They weren't huge sites, but they ran fine on shared. Upgrading is usually easy when needed.

My current IPS site is on the same shared host as a XF site. The IPS site averages 300 uniques daily. No performance issues.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
My current IPS site is on the same shared host as a XF site. The IPS site averages 300 uniques daily. No performance issues.

Interesting to know. I'm about to change to shared for my forum, and it has considerablely less uniques than that a day.

haqzore

Devotee
Interesting to know. I'm about to change to shared for my forum, and it has considerablely less uniques than that a day.
The XF it shares with averages over 1500 uniques per day.

Host quality matters (as we all know), but I've said it before on TAZ: Shared Hosting gets a stained reputation from companies who overload them. But a Shared server from a decent company is almost always more than capable for any forum just starting.

sactown

Aspirant
If you're likely to use all of their apps, thier own solution isn't a bad idea. That's the whole lot for $45 a month.

Only thing that puts me off is the active user limitation. It's a pretty large jump is price if your community does get going, especially if like in a lot of cases the jump is fairly short lived. You can downgrade again I beleive, but for someone still starting out, $70 a month is a lot to find.

Disk space is very limited as well, but that is easily overcome by the ability to transfer your attachments to an external provider.
I did consider it but I suspect my project will quickly end up in the higher price points long before any ad revenue offsets the expense so I'm headed towards the On-Premise license option as the more sustainable pricing model for me.

Why not start small & upgrad later? Use whatever host you've liked in the past, upgrade package when needed.

I've started 2 different IPS sites on shared hosting with no problem. They weren't huge sites, but they ran fine on shared. Upgrading is usually easy when needed.

I agree with starting small, my thought was using a host that can scale my environment as demand rows saving me the migration hassles down the road. It's good to know a shared account is handling your IPS site successfully.

The XF it shares with averages over 1500 uniques per day.

Host quality matters (as we all know), but I've said it before on TAZ: Shared Hosting gets a stained reputation from companies who overload them. But a Shared server from a decent company is almost always more than capable for any forum just starting.

It begs the question how does a person know what is a decent hosting company? One of the challenges I've faced in the past with shared hosting is my own emails being blacklisted because some spammer was operating on the same server.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
It begs the question how does a person know what is a decent hosting company? One of the challenges I've faced in the past with shared hosting is my own emails being blacklisted because some spammer was operating on the same server.

Experience.

My last experience with shared really put me off becuase of stretched resources.
This time I'm hoping with the reputation of the provider I'm going with, things will fare better.
I'm not mentioning who that is at the moment until I've had some time with it to recommend.

sactown

Aspirant
Experience.

My last experience with shared really put me off becuase of stretched resources.
This time I'm hoping with the reputation of the provider I'm going with, things will fare better.
I'm not mentioning who that is at the moment until I've had some time with it to recommend.
Understood. I guess I'm trying to avoid some of those headaches with more dedicated resources like a VPS that as well might be more easily scalable. But yea it costs more.

tony45

Enthusiast
Have any of you tried linode?
I'm working on a project with invision but it won't see the light till this covid crisis is over. I thought in buying a IPB license + the cheaper shared hosting in linode. If things work out well maybe pay cic

DanielF

Participant
I'm running 1 medium big board and dozens of dev and test instances on a cheap 9€ Hetzner Webspace package ( The 5€ package worked actually too, but I moved to the bigger package because of the additional add-on domains.

But if you really want everything managed for you, including the best server setup and cache engine optimised for IPS, I would suggest to use our Cloud :)

sactown

Aspirant
Have any of you tried linode?
I'm working on a project with invision but it won't see the light till this covid crisis is over. I thought in buying a IPB license + the cheaper shared hosting in linode. If things work out well maybe pay cic
Unfortunately their managed services adds another $100/mo.

haqzore

Devotee
Experience & word of mouth.

Posting here or o the IPS forums asking who people use. Etc.

If a VPS makes you more comfortable, I don't see much harm in starting there. Yes, its a step up from Shared, but depending on the company the price difference is almost negligible.

sactown

Aspirant
Experience & word of mouth.

Posting here or o the IPS forums asking who people use. Etc.

If a VPS makes you more comfortable, I don't see much harm in starting there. Yes, its a step up from Shared, but depending on the company the price difference is almost negligible.
For reference, I was reading on this topic at the Invision forum and they shut down discussions regarding recommending hosting companies since they consider it in competition with their own offering. That's one of the major benefits of a more independent community such as TAZ :2thumbs:

haqzore

Devotee
For reference, I was reading on this topic at the Invision forum and they shut down discussions regarding recommending hosting companies since they consider it in competition with their own offering. That's one of the major benefits of a more independent community such as TAZ :2thumbs:
Really?

I admit I have no reason to doubt you, but, that would be very surprising.

Their "On-Premise" pricing is literally the tab right next to their Cloud offering... Its not like its hidden...?

sactown

Aspirant
Really?

I admit I have no reason to doubt you, but, that would be very surprising.

Their "On-Premise" pricing is literally the tab right next to their Cloud offering... Its not like its hidden...?

Agreed, I was surprised as well.

haqzore

Devotee
Hm. Had no idea. That is 4+ years old, but, have to assume thats still the case.

Last edited: