Invision Forum discount?

Mayhem30

Neophyte
I've spent many hours looking at all the forums out there, and the Invision forum pretty much checked all the boxes in what I need for my website.

I have my own server, so I'm looking for a self-hosted solution.

The only issue for me right now is the upfront cost. I'm Canadian, so the cost of the Suite Core + Forum for me is $255 after the currency conversion. Due to Covid-19, Christmas and reduced work hours, that is a little too much for me to fork out all at once.

Are there any promo codes out there? Do you know if they plan to have any Christmas sales?

If not, I guess I'll have to look at other options then.

P.S. I should also mention that I contacted support on Friday, and all they suggested to me was their $45/month cloud package - which is not what I am looking for.

Alpha1

Administrator
I cant remember ever having seen a discount or promo code. And that's not special. The only times I have ever seen forum software being discounted, is right before a price increase. If IPS is too expensive for your budget, then either try to increase your budget or consider a cheaper solution.

Its different for WordPress based systems though. Promo codes are the norm there.
For example BuddyBoss just had an black Friday discount of 30%. See their pricing here: https://www.buddyboss.com/pricing/
So maybe they will have a Christmas sale as well.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Try and look at Xenforo if it check boxes you can even list what you’ll need here, users can assist you. Xenforo should be around 200 in your currency.

Mayhem30

Neophyte
I apologize for the late reply, I've been dealing with pretty bad flu.

I did check out Xenforo, I don't think it's the right fit for me or my users. I'm not a big fan of Wordpress - it's really bloated. I've never heard of Burning Board, so I'll check that out later. If that does not work out, I'll just wait a few months and see if I can scape together the funds for Invision.

The only downside is that I have almost 2 months of downtime, this would have been a great time to setup a forum. I don't want to rush off and purchase a cheaper option, if it's not the right one for me.

haqzore

Devotee
I don't want to rush off and purchase a cheaper option, if it's not the right one for me.
This is smart (in my opinion).

Whatever platform you choose could be the one you're still using 10 years from now. So rushing a choice to save these 2 months isn't worth it in the long run.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
Just be wary of the running costs as well. Invision is every 6 months.
I'm not going to get into whether you NEED to renew every 6 months, that's something you would need to figure out based your needs of support etc.

But if you are struggling with the initial outlay, another $90 per year just for the platform (without any associated running costs) is something you should seriously consider.

Dependent on how busy you foresee your forum to be, $45 a month is actually quite good value.

Mayhem30

Neophyte
I have my own dedicated server and only interested in the forum software.

So after the initial $200 USD (which is $264 for me), it'll cost $5.25 per month to keep it updated. The latter part I can handle easily. It's a little more difficult parting with $264 upfront with everything going on in the world right now.

haqzore

Devotee
Just be wary of the running costs as well. Invision is every 6 months.
And half as expensive as it would be for 12 months because of it.

The flexibility of a 6 month commitment vs a 12 month commitment is far more favorable for me.

I use both IPS and XF. If I could do 6 months of XF for half the cost of 12 months of XF... Why wouldn't I?

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
And half as expensive as it would be for 12 months because of it.

The flexibility of a 6 month commitment vs a 12 month commitment is far more favorable for me.

I use both IPS and XF. If I could do 6 months of XF for half the cost of 12 months of XF... Why wouldn't I?

That is not meant as a criticism. Most business models are on a 12 month term and this isn't. It's just something to consider in the costs.

R0binHood

Habitué
Discourse is pretty good if you're on a budget, it's free! You can spin it up in a docker container in a cheap VM or on your own server.

Joel R

Fan
I am an existing Invision client and happy with the software.

Some thoughts to help you have a deeper understanding of Invision:
1. As others have pointed out, IPS is on a six month renewal. You can play a pricing game by only renewing when you want. However ...
2. Through its company policies, IPS strongly incentivizes clients to stay renewed. Your software will still work, but you lose access to support, certain peer forums, and add-on updates. There are other topics on TAZ where clients - who are accustomed to legacy forums and ecosystems - complain about these policies.
3. IPS really doesn't target hobbyist, casual sites anymore like some of the other options listed here. If you're a hobbyist admin who can't swallow a $245 initial payment, then just wait until you buy themes, plugins, more plugins, and custom projects. Oh, and all that stuff also renews every six months.
5. Going to cloud at $45 is not a bad deal. You get all the apps, you can customize and play around with the software as much as you want, you can export your database whenever you want, and it's cheaper at $45 x 6 mo than investing in a self hosted license right away.
6. Maybe wait a year or two for the US dollar to totally devalue, since we basically dropped free helicopter everywhere. Just a thought.

If you're a $5 budget admin, I just encourage you to enter into IPS with eyes wide open.
I really don't think IPS is right for budget admins. There are lots of other options that are in that free / budget range, where if you ever wanted to stop your forum project, you wouldn't have burned nearly as much money.

Dubbed Navigator

Adherent
I'm not sure id word it "legacy" ecosystems that don't run on the 6 month terms, surely that would imply that it's an outdated system, when actually invision is the exception?