Invision Community's innovative list of tactics for engagement. One of them was so innovative, it's like not engaging at all!!

we_are_borg

Administrator
Custom fields are REALLY handy. I'm using them in my Link directory for campgrounds (gathering data that an astrophotographer that uses automation will usually need when doing captures) and in a few other of the add-ons.
It REALLY helps to enhance the base product.View attachment 55985

Custom field would solve issues that we would have other wise. But IPS product is inconsistent if you have feature x in gallery you do not have the same feature in downloads (when it makes sence). Also it looks like there not learning from add-ons, if you see that people use add-on x a lot why is this. The CMS is well nice but there not expanding it what about automatic altering layout and items.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Having recently moved house and finally disposed of that shelf of boxed software I've been keeping (got to move with the times), I can only agree.

I dislike SaaS solutions for all the reasons you've detailed and one you haven't, the ability to tweak the software, something I imagine most software developers will be glad to see the back of. That's one major reason why I prefer to use open source products like SMF.

Every cloud etc... :LOL:

I haven't purchased a "box" in probably 20 years but that doesn't mean abandoning locally installed software. I buy online, and download the installer.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
When it comes to being abandoned by SAAS, I give you exhibit A:

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I haven't purchased a "box" in probably 20 years but that doesn't mean abandoning locally installed software. I buy online, and download the installer.
I agree but I think there's a certain inevitability SaaS and cloud computing in general is going to rule the day. I don't like it but it provides an easy mode for providers and users alike.

I agree but I think there's a certain inevitability SaaS and cloud computing in general is going to rule the day. I don't like it but it provides an easy mode for providers and users alike.
For that to happen I think the price will have to be more affordable to everyday forum owners.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
For that to happen I think the price will have to be more affordable to everyday forum owners.
Personally I don't see that happening but I guess it raises the question how many forum owners still fall into that category. The abundance of 'forums are dead' threads suggests perhaps not as many as there used to be.

But who knows, it's largely conjecture on my part, only the developers know the full picture.

Stojan Tim

Participant
The abundance of 'forums are dead' threads suggests perhaps not as many as there used to be.

If there's one silver lining to all this, none of my disgruntled ex-members are rushing to start competing forums any more. Unless they are "silently installing" new forums ;)

we_are_borg

Administrator
Really nice image. To bad i’m in the middle of the city there is so much light pollution that you do not see much.