Invision charges a renewal fee every 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claverhouse

Aspirant
I've no great interest in this branding, except I would never bother paying to remove it --- the only time I heard removing branding was allegedly worth it was WordPress --- simply because back then it made one a sitting duck.

My point s, literally everything we buy & use is branded. If you buy a Toyota to drive people around, every person you drive around will know its a Toyota.

If you buy a pair of Nike shoes, every person that sees them will know they're Nike.

Every channel you watch on TV flashes the station logo in the corner. And the TV you're watching it on has the name all over it, too.

Well, that's due to the depraved dynamic of 'Advertising' and a worthless mass-market --- one of the more amusing aspects is makers of 'Luxury' overly-expensive goods ( like 100,000 euros for a woman's handbag expensive ) positioning their products as exclusive for millions of buyers... --- however I have a sweet little book that detailed the really very expensive craftsman made items necessary for the British gentry class in the 1950s, the apparent twilight time of their [self- ]importance. These were utterly well-made by exploited and comparatively impoverished craftsmen and women for a class who demanded deference ( and often delayed payment ). However, good or bad these customers had the virtue that they would have sooner died rather than display a company name across their chests --- like modern sportsmen as mercenaries sold to whomever pays --- even if Lobb made their shoes or Purdey their shotguns.

Makers of Distinction. Suppliers to the Town and Country Gentleman.

Review

Hi all,

To be frank, I find some of the arguments in this thread a bit weird. One the one hand, we have strong proponents of free speech principles who are also strongly against a free-market. Unusual.

SRSLY ? I cannot imagine anything more reactionary and normal than combining a devotion to free speech and loathing the rascally free market. Ever since the first country squire deservedly horse-whipped a greasy Economic Liberal on the steps of the Manchester Stock Exchange. Hopefully an MP.

Lewis3262

Aspirant
You tried comparing websites to physical products and I explained that with a physical product you could always remove the branding. You can’t do that with a website without approval or paying for removal.

There’s really nothing to understand. I say tomato you say potato. We just see things differently when it comes to branding. Simple as that.
I absolutely agree, the argument of physical goods is not the same. If I buy a physical good, I then OWN that item and if I want to remove that branding, then have and I will. I'm fine with the branding being there and it being removable, but being forced in to it should not be a thing. Certainly not for 500.

haqzore

Devotee
I'm fine with the branding being there and it being removable, but being forced in to it should not be a thing. Certainly not for 500.
You're fine with the branding being there.

And you're not forced into removing it.

So why does it matter what the cost is?

DigNap15

Habitué
The difference in cost is very minor*
And in my case the cost is very minor compared to hosting costs
So really one should decide on the features and the support

if you take it over 3 years I'm sure XF is cheaper $165+55+55= $270
IPS $200+50+50 = $300

Lewis3262

Aspirant
You're fine with the branding being there.

And you're not forced into removing it.

So why does it matter what the cost is?
I meant that as long as there is an option to remove it *at no cost* then it's fine. Similar to how I could own a car, and it would be my choice to remove/replace the branding on it as I desire, without paying more to the manufacturer. For example, MyBB's forum software allows you to remove the "powered by" text VERY easily though the templates system. Yes, you lose access to support, but as that's a free product, that's a fair deal. There shouldn't be a cost to removing the branding. I personally prefer NOT to have the branding be there if I am forced to pay to remove it.

tony45

Enthusiast
Usually when you are busy trying to make your community greater and stronger you don't give a damn about details as such

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Honestly, I don’t get the hardship. So what if you have a link in your footer? Do you spend hours looking at your site and thinking about how much more beautiful it would be if only there was one less link in the footer?

Were this me, I’d be focusing on growing my content, audience and engagement.

I‘d also consider that I’ve never seen a Ferrari driver remove the Ferrari badge off their car because why wouldn’t you keep the marker of quality if you had one?

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Honestly, I don’t get the hardship. So what if you have a link in your footer? Do you spend hours looking at your site and thinking about how much more beautiful it would be if only there was one less link in the footer?

Were this me, I’d be focusing on growing my content, audience and engagement.

I‘d also consider that I’ve never seen a Ferrari driver remove the Ferrari badge off their car because why wouldn’t you keep the marker of quality if you had one?
Comparing a Ferrari to a forum software is two complete different things and still if one wanted to they could remove the emblem from the car. Personally I wouldn’t but that’s just me but I’d have the option to do so without paying extra. Running a forum and trying to get it busy has absolutely nothing to do with having a discussion about the brand and branding fee. Just saying. You like advertising someone else’s product even though you paid for it all power to you. I personally don’t. There’s nothing more to it. It’s real simple.

tony45

Enthusiast
Meanwhile... that's how you welcome your guests: a long and boring af text. Less crying, more work, pal.

Screenshot_2021-03-19-15-12-54.png

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Meanwhile... that's how you welcome your guests: a long and boring af text. Less crying, more work, pal.

View attachment 55204
Wow dude really? Why did this just happen? Because you don’t agree with my opinion you act like a teenager having a tantrum? Was that really called for Tony? Btw why are you stalking me? I’m not into men “pal”. You need to leave your moms basement and get some air. I mean anyone that’s having a temper tantrum because they don’t like someone’s opinion seriously needs to have their head examined. I wouldn’t worry about how I’m running my forum. For me its fun to do and a past time. Not my bread and butter. That should be the least of your concerns. Voicing your opinion is now considered crying haha. Jesus help me. I edited this post because I had a brainstorm. All of a sudden I thought of you saying this to yourself. What!! He doesn't like the fact that he has to pay money to remove a branding fee! OMG I'll show this mean man. Oh wait he has a long welcome message on his forum! I'll publicly post it for the world to see and tell him that it's too long!!!. That'll teach him a lesson to never post about a branding fee and disagree with me!! You're such a loser dude. Seriously. You're worried about my long welcome message on my forum. Really? Haha you are in need of a life. Loser...

Last edited:

DigNap15

Habitué
And if it helps your forum software get more members, then that got to be good for you long tem, as it means they will have more money to spedn on R&D

tony45

Enthusiast
Wow dude really? Why did this just happen? Because you don’t agree with my opinion you act like a teenager having a tantrum? Was that really called for Tony? Btw why are you stalking me?

Lol. Nobody is stalking you, this is the same opinion I gave you some weeks ago. From the UX perspective your site has serious deficiencies

I dont care about your opinion, I just said that that´s the kind of "worries" lazy admins usually have. I mean, your users dont give a fu.k about that, so you shouldn´t spend so much time complaining about that when you have more pressing job to do.

Thats´s all, pal :tup:

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Lol. Nobody is stalking you, this is the same opinion I gave you some weeks ago. From the UX perspective your site has serious deficiencies

I dont care about your opinion, I just said that that´s the kind of "worries" lazy admins usually have. I mean, your users dont give a fu.k about that, so you shouldn´t spend so much time complaining about that when you have more pressing job to do.

Thats´s all, pal :tup:

I never asked you for your opinion on what you thought about my welcome message or my forum lol. Who cares. If I wanted to I would've created a thread asking people what they think. So yeah you do care butter cup or you wouldn't of posted that. That was completely out of line with you posting my welcome message on here. You really went out of your way. I must of hit a nerve with you huh? There's a saying. If I wanted to hear from an a-hole I would've farted. Memorize that real well. It'll save you from future headaches. This is a forum for admins where we discuss about forum software this and that. We're allowed to voice our opinions about stuff that matter to us. Am I right or am I missing something?? Like I said you need a life. Now I'm done with you so yap all you want.

Last edited:

tony45

Enthusiast
I never asked you for your opinion on what you thought about my welcome message here or there. If I wanted to I would've created a thread asking people what they think. So yeah you do care butter cup or you wouldn't of posted that. That was completely out of line. This is a forum for admins where we discuss about forum software this and that. We're allowed to voice our opinions about stuff that matter to us. Am I right or am I missing something?? Like I said you need a life. Now I'm done with you so yap all you want.

And you need to read some about UX: "dont make me think" (s krug) is a good place to start :tup:

Last edited:

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
if one wanted to they could remove the emblem from the car. Personally I wouldn’t but that’s just me but I’d have the option to do so without paying extra.
Why? You wouldn’t remove the emblem on a Ferrari because it’s a status symbol. And somehow the forum software copyright isn’t?

The reality is that I don’t need to see the emblem to know what it is and you just seem to be complaining mostly that you want something for free when the metaphorical equivalent wouldn’t be taken.

I bet you if IPS told you tomorrow you could drop the copyright for free, you wouldn’t actually do so and that your complaint is over the illusion of you not having a thing you don’t care about.

The psychology of it is complicated but I genuinely think this is where it is: it isn’t the branding you seem to have a problem with, but the apparent lack of choice over the branding.

Status
Not open for further replies.