Interview: Xenon [Vbulletin.org]

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview: Xenon [Vbulletin.org]

Stefan Kaeser, better known to the vBulletin Community as Xenon, kindly agreed to answer our questions for this Admin Zone Interview. Xenon is an Administrator at the official vBulletin Hacking Site vBulletin.org. He is well respected as both a coder and as an Admin. We thank Xenon for taking the time out of his busy schedule to tell us about himself and his work.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

Hmm, where to start? I'm a young man in my mid-twenties. I'm still single, and live in a small apartment in a mid-sized town in Bavaria, Germany. I grew up in a little village within the Bavarian Forest, and I still miss the calm life there... but I enjoy the town I live now as well. I can go up per pedes, sitting around in a Coffee Shop, or going out with friends. On the other time, I have to study Computer Science and Mathematics at the University. So you see it's not such an interesting life, but I enjoy it.

How did you come to be Administrator of vBulletin.org?

I think you can describe it as the classical way. I joined vBulletin.org on day one, and helped a lot of users with their coding. So as some of the older mods were gone, I was made one. After doing a lot of moderating and always begging the former admin to do this or that (even giving him complete files or codes to upload), he (Chen Avinadav) chose me and Erwin to take over his job as he doesn't have the time anymore.

How would you describe your Moderation style?

It would be better to ask the users about that ^^. Personally I think that my Moderation style is just as it should be most of the time. I consider myself as a user first and try to have fun and such. I normally have a line, if you don't cross this line, then you can live with me just fine. But once the line is crossed, I am very strict. Even so, I always prefer to talk to the users before taking any major action. As experience shows, that doesn't always work, so if the last barrier is down, I’m not a nice mod anymore. But apart from those individuals, I’d say my moderation style is quite fair, and users appreciate it. Some say I should be more strict on some issues, but as I said, I’m more a user myself, and consider what I would want to have as a moderator/admin, and then I try to behave like that.

What trait or skill do you think is most important for managing an online community?

Managing an online community means that you must have much patience and a thick skin. You...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

rex_b

Fanatic
mostly philosophically ones like Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Sun Tsu or such

I know we have done some chatting about Nietzsche before but I was wondering if you have started to traslate some of his works into English that are not available, or if you have any papers you have written about his works.

It would be interesting to read coming from a German rather than us Americans trying to interpret what he meant.

:)

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
It's been a while since we conducted this interview with Stefan, so we decided to freshen it up a bit with some new questions. Check out Xenon Reloaded!

:)