Interview with W1lz0r - IPS Staff | ICB Developer

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with W1lz0r - IPS Staff | ICB Developer

Remco Wilting, better known as W1lz0r or "That SQL Guy" to the Invision Community, is the subject of our next TAZ interview. W1lz0r is, among other things, the developer of ICB, the Invision Community Blog. The next version of ICB, currently in development, will make full use of the IPB 2.1 feature set with all the bells and whistles. Let's find out more about W1lz0r and the work he does.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you give us a (not so brief) bio?

I was born (24th March 1973) in Spierdijk (a small village in the Netherlands). When I was 11 I moved with my parents to Almere, the place where I still live. Almere is a new town, build on the grounds taken from the sea. I have a girlfriend (soon to be wife :) ) and two kids (a son of 4.5 and a daughter of almost 2 years old). Apart from the work I do for IPS, I also have a 'normal' job. I am a Marketing Consultant for a French company that specializes in Campaign Management. Together with my two colleagues we run the Dutch office.

What's the significance of your username, W1lz0r?

Ever since I was very young, my friends always called me Willy. That comes from my last name, Wilting. A couple of years ago me and a couple of college friends, started a Quake III Arena clan called MIA. I was known as [MIA]Willy. However, Willy in English is not the exactly a nickname you want to be associated with. Therefore I changed it to [MIA]W1lz0r. My online nickname has been W1lz0r ever since. However people at IPS apparently like to call me Wizzy. Which has a nice ring to it too :)

What are your favorite books? Movies? Music? Games? Food? Drink?

I am not much of a reader. I rarely have time to read. When I am on holiday, I usually read a book or two. However if I have to pick one, it would be 1984 by George Orwell.

As for movies, I prefer SciFi movies. I like to analyze the vision the moviemakers have on the future. I cannot give you a specific favorite though.

My favourite music is rock (but not the hard rock stuff). I like to listen to bands like Live, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Keane, Kane (a Dutch artist). My current favorite song is one you probably don't know: 'Cruel Man' by Intwine.

What is your educational background?

I have a Master of Science degree in Business Mathematics and Informatics.

How did you get into programming and developing...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Logan

Enthusiast
Great interview!

W1lz0r really is a great guy. He's an excellent coder as well, there are literally no bugs in the ICB software and whenever there is a problem he always has the solution to solve it.

ICB 1.2 is looking great and you really do know how to keep us customers up-to date on the new features! :)

Matt M

Director Development at Invision Community
Wizzy is interesting!

He doesn't let me get away with anything when it comes to coding. He almost always asks "why" when I change something in the core and that's a great question to ask. On several occasions we've found another way to do it or not had the make the change at all.