Interview with Shawn Hogan [DigitalPoint]

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Shawn Hogan [DigitalPoint]

Shawn Hogan is the President and CEO of Digital Point Solutions. He is also the lead programmer, analyst, technical writer and artist. However, around these parts he's probably better known as digitalpoint, webmaster of the DigitalPoint Forum. In the world of eCommerce, Shawn is known for several different things, not the least of which are his very popular SEO Tools. These highly regarded tools are available free of charge and belong in the arsenal of every serious webmaster, including forum owners and administrators. We're grateful that Shawn was kind enough to answer some questions for this Admin Zone interview.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you give us a brief bio?

Sure, I founded Digital Point Solutions 10 years ago at the age of 19 (I'm now 29 for the mathematically challenged). Primarily doing development of high-end business management/account software.

What do you do to relax and unwind?

Snowboard and travel.

Are you a native Californian? Do you live the "California Lifestyle"?

Yep, 4th generation San Diegian even. As far as the "California Lifestyle" goes, no idea because I don't really know what that is exactly. :)

What do you drive?

2005 Hummer SUT

What are your favorite books? Movies? Music? Games? Foods? Beverages?

I don't really have the attention span for books (same applies to movies over about 90 minutes [with a couple exceptions]). I like all sorts of music (like most people), but my favorite these days is stuff like Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, etc. As far as movies go, some of my favorites are Lord of The Rings, Matrix, Team America and Bad Santa. I'm not much of a gamer, although sometimes my life feels like a big game. heh I like all foods really... sushi, steak, chicken, fruits, etc. I'll eat pretty much anything. :) Favorite drink is probably a frozen lemonade chiller from Hot Dog On A Stick (yum!).

What is your educational background?

Just a normal run of the mill high school education.

What would you want to do for a living if you weren't a programmer/analyst?

Anything that wasn't repetitive. Construction would be cool because you are always out doing something...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lugh

Habitué
Very nice. Clearly a 'seat of the pants' guy, but with the talent to pull it off [no, not the pants...] and then some :)

Lord Brar

Marketing Mafia Boss!
Shawn said:
Tell us something about yourself that we don't already know.

I was born at home without a midwife because my parents were crazy and thought if they bought a book about having a baby at home, they didn't need anyone else. heh
:|

Great interview on the whole. :)

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
Keep in mind that Shawn and SiteTutor look at things from a very SEO oriented point of view. In that context, phpBB is definitely inferior to vBulletin in terms of search engine spider friendliness. I'm sure that's what they meant. :)

MikeDammann

Frog Engine Forum
I agree, with phpbb you really need to do some serious mod re-write in order to be competitive. Anyways, back to Shawn ...

Nathan Malone

Neophyte
SiteTutor said:
No it wasn't, phpbb sucks.
If modified heavily, phpBB can be a really, really nice board but for "out of the box" software, Invision and vBulletin can probably easily beat it.

phpBB does have the advantage of having a huge user base, tons of support forums, and tons of mods but the development does seem to be a little slow and I would like to see more customization and features.

flashweb

Aspirant
Nice interview.

Installing SEO mod on phpbb is not difficult. My phpBB forum is well indexed by Google. Still can't find a reason for switching to VBB or IPB.