Interview with Paul M - vBulletin.org Administrator

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Paul M - vBulletin.org Administrator

Paul Marsden is an administrator of vBulletin.org and is well known in the community as one of the most prolific and widely installed creators of vBulletin code modifications. Of course, Paul is a member of the Admin Zone staff as well. :D I'd like to thank Paul for his time and efforts both here and at the .org, and for taking the time to answer some interview questions. Thanks Paul!

==================================================

Can you give us a brief bio?

My name is Paul Marsden (hence the Paul M), I am 44 years old and live just outside of Nottingham in the UK. I'm married and have three daughters.

What is your educational background?

I have five O'Levels and a certificate in Telecommunications. I've never set foot in a university (as a student).

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

Surviving a house full of females.

Finding another job after (twice) being made reduntant.

Any failures you'd like to tell us about?

I keep failing to win the lottery.

What is your fulltime job?

I'm a programmer for a company that provides services for Clinical Research Studies - I mostly program Interactive Voice & Web Response Systems.

What other projects and/or ventures are you involved in?

I'm an Administrator of Cable Forum, a UK forum mainly for customers of Virgin Media (a large supplier of internet, tv and phone services).

What is your ultimate professional goal, your dream job?

My dream is to get paid for sitting at home all day.

How did you get involved in coding?

I've been programming computers for 32 years. As far as php is concerned, I started when I became involved with Cable Forum - I practiced on myBB code as I didn't have access to any vb code at the time.

How has the plugin system changed the vBulletin hacking community?

It's made it so much easier for forum owners to install those extras - before 3.5 you had to have basic php/programming skills to edit files, and upgrades could be a nightmare. Now anyone can add things to their forum at the click of a button, zero coding skills required. As a result we've seen a large increase in visitors to vbulletin.org - mostly to just pickup modifications and install them.

Describe your typical workday schedule. How much of your time is spent on modifying code?

During the week I don't spend much time, probably an hour or so...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Three girls... I feel for you, Paul.. I really do LOL I know what it's like!

And you didn't work as a BT engineer by any chance did you? That's what my other half does!

Good interview *thumbs up* bit disappointed to find no mention of your penchant to dress up as Robin Hood and scare the animals tho :lildevil:

smacklan

Squirrel!!
Wow...you and I have alot more in common (in terms of real life) than I would have ever thought. Nice interview and congrats on mellowing down since becoming org staff...you're much more pleasant ;)

Orp

ForumsForums.com
Good interview Sandman. Thanks Paul for all you've done for the VB community and for agreeing to share details of your personal life. A Good read.

OhioSweetheart

Just hangin' around
I enjoyed reading your interview Paul. Thanks for sharing a little of you with us.

elitex

Aspirant
Nice interview. I seem very basic as everyone is saying that tho.

Kai

Aspirant
Man, I love Paul M, I installed all his mods :D.
Thanks Sandman for your interview, and Paul too :D

Technika

Neophyte
Sorry for the bump - but I am a mere new member - so I should be forgiven. :)

Anyway - just wanted to add too; that I enoyed reading Pauls interview too, and to say that I have huge respect for Paul.

I also use a lot of his mods. :)

DRE

Fan
How did you come to be Administrator of vBulletin.org?

I joined the staff in May 2006 having been asked to be part of the new 'Coding' team. It was a bit of a surprise (to myself as well as many others) because I was not always known for seeing eye to eye with the staff, or keeping my views quiet.
lmaoooo @ this. Everytime Paul argues with me on vbulletin.org I smell a ban coming but no he's just keeping it real.