Interview With Olivier Turbis

• Admin

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Morganna submitted a new Article:

Interview With Olivier Turbis

Olivier Turbis is the founder/owner of SkinBox which offers styles for IPB (and a small selection for vBulletin). He kindly agreed to an interview with us.

Can you tell us a little about Olivier Turbis and Skinbox?
I am a 18 years old dude who loves a lot of things such as traveling, languages, cultures, designing, food, music, TV, and a lot more. I am determined. I like to think that things in life happen to you when you believe in them and make them happen.

How long have you been styling IPB/vB styles and how comfortable are you with the styling engine?
In late 2007, an online "friend" of mine saw one of my work with IPB and told me I should open some forum to sell my work. At that time, I didn't have the money to buy an IPB license nor to buy a hosting and all the stuff that comes with it... I was a kid with no money whatsoever. So he bought me a license, a hosting plan and a domain name. While I knew this person for something like one month, he believed in me so much that he spent a lot of money on me without even wanting me to pay him back. A very few people know this story. I am so grateful and thankful for what he did. So I created a forum called IPB Customize (ipbcustomize.com) and my main goal was to help people with their IP.Board offering tons (literally) of free tutorials and resources. I offered a lot of free skins as well. Some premade skins was on sale and I was doing some custom work as well - custom skins were $30!

Later on (October 2008), my premade skins were starting to sell pretty good and I wondered what to do next. I never imagined I could actually have a real business with this. So I hired a developer (because I'm far from being one!) and we started Skinbox. The development was long (10 months), but we wanted it to be perfect and I also wanted to be able to sell IPB 3 skins right when it opens - and that's what we did. Skinbox opened in July 2009 offering 6 IPB 3 skins and 23 IPB 2 skins. I have to say "leaving" IPB Customize for Skinbox was the best business move of my life so far.

What improvements would you like to see with the ipb styling engine?
Honestly, I think the IP.Board skinning system is the best I've ever seen in a software. It's perfect. We have all we need to customize it to the maximum and it is VERY easy to find what we're looking for....
Read more about this article here...

Last edited:

CM404

Adherent
Great interview! The preview of his upcoming design looks very slick.

• Admin

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Looks lovely, doesn't it... can't wait to see the whole thing :D

smacklan

Squirrel!!
Great interview! Olivier is a very talented designer and shaping up to be a very smart businessman...reminds me of myself several years ago lol ;) I wish him all the best in everything he does!

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
I was not aware of Olivier & Skinbox before. :D Hopefully the issue of vB4 styling will made a bit easier if what some of the vB4 developers are discussing is allowed to come to fruition.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Kall said:
This is so very true.

("Clone" = Steal in The Book of Kall). ... obviously. ;)
Yeah, that "vBSEO Clone" release over at vB.org has been interesting to watch. I'm kinda' surprised, but not totally, that cloned styles are being allowed to be released there.

MjrNuT

Fan
Thanks for the interview and the insight on this was great as I'm not a prolific IPB user. Options are always good to be aware about.

A

AWS

Oliver is by far the best designer for IPB skins. He has some unique designs that are truly great. I bought 3 of his styles for my IPB sites. My favarites are the new one Mystic and Vanille. I have them both. Those styles make a forum look like it's not a forum until you view a thread.

• Admin

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Yes, Mystic is unbelievably gorgeous!

CM404

Adherent
Azhria Lilu said:
Yes, Mystic is unbelievably gorgeous!
Oh my, I'll have to check it out, then! I have the worst time when searching for 'superb' IP.Board themes.

Desu

Aspirant
Those are probably some of the better themes I have seen for IPB/vBulletin.

KW802 said:
I was not aware of Olivier & Skinbox before. :( Hopefully the issue of vB4 styling will made a bit easier if what some of the vB4 developers are discussing is allowed to come to fruition.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Yeah, that "vBSEO Clone" release over at vB.org has been interesting to watch. I'm kinda' surprised, but not totally, that cloned styles are being allowed to be released there.
I posted in that topic, before staff did, and I'm disappointed nothing has been done about it yet.

I also like how his story changed, and he now admits to ripping it:

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Nice job. It seems like he is on a roll so to speak. Its good to see people still succeeding even though the economy isn't doing so good.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Desu said:
I posted in that topic, before staff did, and I'm disappointed nothing has been done about it yet.

I also like how his story changed, and he now admits to ripping it:
I dont really see what that has to do with this topic. ;)

DavidMcHenry

I just purchased his newest one Cielo, it was a touch choice between that and Vanille, but maybe down the road I'll own them both.