Interview with Mike Sullivan - XenForo Developer

• Admin
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Mike Sullivan - XenForo Developer

It's hard to imagine a more hectic time for a forum software developer than during the alpha phase of a brand new product for a brand new company. The company and the software are called XenForo. The official XenForo Community launched only a month and a half ago and it's already a very busy place indeed. The look and feel of the forum is simple, clean and organic but the atmosphere is quite reminiscent of the vBulletin.com of old, and many of the faces are familiar. You'll definitely recognize the names of Team XenForo - Kier Darby, Mike Sullivan, and Ashley Busby.

In our first XenForo interview, Mike has somehow carved out enough time to answer some questions for the Admin Zone. There are many more questions we could have asked but we didn't want to keep Mike from his work. We encourage you to visit the XenForo Community yourself and have a look around if you want to learn more - there is tons of information there and it's kind of fun to watch the software develop seemingly right in front of your eyes.

I predict great things for Mike, Kier, Ashley, and XenForo, and I'm not alone in doing so. :D

==================================================

Can you give us a brief biography?

I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania. I didn't really get into computers until I was 12 or 13, when my parents bought a computer (running Windows 95). I have a distinct memory of breaking it the second day we had it, by installing DirectX (3.0) with non-compatible drivers, not that I knew any of that at the time. I'm not totally sure why I took to it, but shortly after that I became interesting in programming and the web. At first, I started out doing web design stuff, though I wasn't particularly good at it. I got into web development by hacking on the freeware version of UBB. In 2000, I got involved with vBulletin and PHP, and the rest is history.

I went to Penn State and majored in Computer Science. I didn't actually finish the degree though, instead deciding to work full time and, ultimately, move to the UK in 2006. Earlier this year, I moved from Reading (England, not Pennsylvania ) to Glasgow to move in with my girlfriend.

How has the move to the UK worked out for you?

It's worked out pretty well I think. I'm not the most outgoing person, and I'm generally happy having a quiet life at home, so I'd probably be ok in most places. After I got past the initial cultural differences, I was able...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

JayCeeS

The Alpacas Are After Me
Great interview. I'm haven't formed an opinion of Xenforo yet, but it's nice to know a little of the background and the people behind it.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Sorry Mike - death metal is like country music to me ==> only in extremely small doses LMAO - What a wonderful interview though - made for a wonderful read. Thanks Howard for the inciteful questions and to you Mike for the inciteful answers :)

Jacquii.

CMOBOSS

All About Da-Cookies.
Great read. Nice to know some of the personal details to the men behind the mask so ta speak. Thanks Howard ;) I'm curious though.... has anyone actually compiled an interview Re: You?

*door opens... "Enter, Sandman. Please, do have a seat and get comphy" *

:) Thanks for the knowledge. :tiphat:

AF

Enthusiast
Great read. Nice to know some of the personal details to the men behind the mask so ta speak. Thanks Howard ;) I'm curious though.... has anyone actually compiled an interview Re: You?

*door opens... "Enter, Sandman. Please, do have a seat and get comphy" *

:) Thanks for the knowledge. :tiphat:

This is a good idea ... somebody needs to interview Howard :bouncy:

HallofFamer

Habitué
Looks rather promising. The greatest disadvantage for Xenforo to compete with VB and IPB is the lack of support for modifications/template edits, but this shall be resolved with time. So yeah, lets hope it gets better and better in future.

Brogan

Enthusiast
Nice to hear a bit more about Mike who tends not to hog the limelight as much as Kier ;)

Kier also picked me up from the airport once, while holding a sign with my name written as a regex. Unfortunately, I had to critique it as the regex was slightly incorrect.

I chuckled at that bit :D

DRE

Fan
XF has great security compared to vB which requires patches and updates every two weeks it seems. Good thing he reads hacker news.

Saeed

Aspirant
Thank you for the interview, Howard and Mike. It was great knowing Mike a bit better. :)