Interview With Matt Mecham - Creator of the Invision Power Board

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview With Matt Mecham - Creator of the Invision Power Board

Matt Mecham, the creator of the Invision Power Board, was kind enough to take time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions for an Admin Zone interview. Since he's currently working very hard on the upcoming IPB 2.1 release, which is being previewed on the IPS Company Forums, this was especially gracious of him. Matt has been interviewed before, and I recommend that you read the one he did with Zain in 2002 Here and then the one he did with Olate in 2004 Here before continuing on. Rather than go over the past, which has already been well covered, my intention was to get to know Matt on a more personal level and to look at the present and future of Invision Power Services.

Can you give us a brief bio?

I’m 29 years old and live in Cambridgeshire with my fiancée. I have been involved in the forum software market since 1999 when I decided to open a discussion board on my website. I used and modified a variety of products and eventually wrote my own which I decided to release when it was complete. I’ve been the C.E.O. and C.S.A. of Invision Power Services, Inc since I co-founded it in 2002.

Your not online much at all during the weekends - what do you do to relax and unwind?

I’m a voracious reader. I love James Patterson’s work, especially his “Alex Cross” and “Women’s Murder Club” novels. I also have a fascination with World War II and the role the American Paratroopers played in it. The 101st have been immortalised many times in books and movies, “Band of Brothers” being the most popular. I also enjoy walking our Dog, Barney and cycling.

What are your favorite books? Movies? Music? Games?

My “favourites” change daily. At the moment, my favourite author is James Patterson. My favourite movie is “Leon”. My favourite bands include: Radiohead, Athlete, Muse, Coldplay and Snow Patrol. I also have a thing for Guns ‘N Roses, probably because of my misspent youth. My favourite game has to be GTA: San Andreas.

What is your educational background?

I don’t have any outstanding qualifications. I finished the UK equivalent of High School and spent two years at college. I found the college experience quite disappointing and...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
Fantastic interview.. but I want photographic evidence of the finger-thing <grin>

wizard1974uk

Tazmanian Gremlin
AzhriaLilu said:
Fantastic interview.. but I want photographic evidence of the finger-thing <grin>
You always have to be gruesome, bagsies the photos after you. :D

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
The Sandman said:
Jealous Azh? :p
Gods no! Just curious as to what kind of shapes he can make <grin> I have other talents ;)

Scribbller

The dude
Great interview Sandy loved every bit of it, atlast Matt gets a chance to justify his decision in front of ever dissatisfied public.

Logan

Enthusiast
Excellent interview!

I am a customer of IPS and have never been displeased once. IPS is a great company and I hope they continue to grow!

Matt Mecham is an extremely kind and intelligent person :).