Interview with Kier - vBulletin Project Manager

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Kier - vBulletin Project Manager

Kier Darby, Product Manager and Lead Developer of Jelsoft's vBulletin, has been working around the clock to get vBulletin 3.5 ready for prime time. Nevertheless, he generously agreed to take some time to answer our questions for an interview regarding the latest version of vBulletin, future releases, other topics of interest to Forum Administrators, and a bit of a personal glimpse as well. :)

=========================================

Can you give us a brief bio?

I'm twenty-eight years old and live in Berkshire. My background is in computer graphics and software development, though the computer graphics side has been largely consigned to the past since I joined Jelsoft / vBulletin in 2001 as a developer. In late 2002 the then lead developer, John Percival decided to take a back seat in future development of vBulletin and since then I have acted as both lead developer and product manager.

What activities do you do enjoy for relaxation?

Relaxation? I gave up on that quite some time ago, life's too short to not be busy all the time. When I'm not working I enjoy cycling, walking, spending time with my family and friends and all the other stuff with which normal people tend to occupy themselves.

What are your favorite books? Movies? Music? Games?

Book-wise I'm a big fan of Iain M Banks. I've only read his sci-fi series so far, but when I have some time I think I'll dive into the rest of his work (written as Iain Banks, without the initial). I've recently devoured most of Dan Brown's novels, though I've yet to start The Da Vinci Code. I'm a huge movie fan and people are always astonished when they see my rather eclectic DVD collection. My house has become something of a draw as a cinema for my friends and family since I got a room big enough to properly mount my plasma screen and 7.1 THX system. Games-wise, I haven't played anything seriously on my PC since I came on-board with vBulletin - there's always something to be done that gets in the way of gaming.

What is your educational background?

After finishing four A-levels and two AS-levels I went on to read computer visualization and animation for my degree. The degree was 50% artistic and 50% programming, as the course was aimed at both those who wanted to be CG artists and also those who wanted to write graphics software. At the time I was very much in the artistic camp rather than the programming side... funny how things change given time....
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
What a phenomenal interview! *applauds enthusiastically*

Oh and congrats on the wedding plans ;)

Magle

Adherent
Great interview!! Informative and really interesting to read :thumb:

/me wonders if he was the only one to check out kier's forum.

was a good interview though :)

mOdEtWo

Aspirant
That was a good read. And congrats to Kier for his wedding plans, and to TAZ for the nice PR. :)

GeorgeB.

Always great to hear it from the horses mouth.

Superb interview. Great questions great answers. :applause: :D

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
Awesome interview! Thanks Kier! (Congrats to you and best wishes to your bride!)

MGM

vBulletin Guru
That was a great interview! Great job Sandman, and many thanks to Kier :)

MGM out

KeithMcL

Freelance Web Designer
sabret00the said:
/me wonders if he was the only one to check out kier's forum.

was a good interview though :)
I had a quick look too :)

Great interview. Very insightful and interesting.

Thank Sandman and Kier (and good luck with getting hitched too Kier ;))

Neutral Singh

SPN Administrator
Wow!! Quite an interview and congrats on getting hooked (j/k) ;)

Thanks Kier and Sandman :)

Lord Brar

Marketing Mafia Boss!
Everyone Hail to the King Kier! :p Good Job, as always, Kier. :)

Nice Interview Sandman and keep up the good work.

phoenixdown21

The Man with the Plan
wow talk about the future with vb4 and hints that there will be other products (not the plurals used!)

:)

StarBuG

AdSenseExperts.com
Thanks for this nice interview Sandman and thanks to Kier and his Team for such a nice product!

StarBuG

Brook

Devotee
Great interview and fantastic insight, thanks both :)

I'm already looking foward to v4 *grin*

JulianD

Participant
Very nice interview! It's always fun and informative to read vBulletin developers :)

taffy056

Neophyte
Hi,

Nice interview, with me being relatively a new admin of a site its good to see that there is a real person behind the people helping me to set up my websites.

Congrats on getting married by the way :)

taffy