Interview With Jonathan Wainwright (AKA Waindigo) - The Sequel

• Admin
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview With Jonathan Wainwright (AKA Waindigo) - The Sequel

We did our first Interview with Waindigo a little more than a year ago. A few things have changed since then, and some of you had additional questions for Jon so we decided to do this follow-up interview.

Thanks to Jon for taking time out of his busy schedule to answer these questions (and also to let people know that doing an interview with TAZ can have consequences :eek:).

Jon W is a member here, so if you have any additional questions for him go ahead and ask!

================================================================================

I think a lot of people find it hard to understand or even keep up with your business model. Can you tell us the status of Waindigo Enterprises, Waindigo Industries, and the Waindigo Foundation?

Yer, sorry about that. The two companies are now being dissolved. Waindigo Enterprises went bust, Waindigo Industries is Dom’s company that is no longer needed as he is no longer part of Waindigo. Waindigo Foundation was officially dissolved on 20th January 2015.

I am now trading on my own under a new company, Waindigo Ltd. I know it all sounds complicated, but the whole purpose of this latest change is to really simplify things for the future. From now on there will be just me owning 100% of one company that does everything.

Can you explain your business model?

The biggest part of the business is the bespoke development of add-ons. I charge an hourly fee for development and offer a 50% discount if I’m allowed to retain the rights to what is developed.

Every single one of the add-ons is then made available to download from the XenForo resources section for personal use, testing purposes and for other developers to play with.

For commercial sites, I ask for a compulsory donation in order to use the add-on.

How do donations work?

I want as many people to use our add-ons as possible, but in order to provide a decent level of support (fixing bugs, ensuring compatibility with other add-ons and future XenForo versions, etc.), I feel it is only fair that if people are making money from sites that use our add-ons that we should be fairly compensated.

Every site is different though, so we ask that sites just pay whatever they can afford. We have some suggested amounts on the site and I’m happy to offer a personalised suggestion to anyone who sends me a message. The suggested...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Administrator
In your opinion, True Christians live our beliefs in every aspect of our lives.

We can respect your right to your belief or lack of, so least people can do is respect ours.

If your own beliefs are so weak that we influence people so strongly.. that's hardly our fault now is it? ;)

But you don't really respect peoples beliefs or lack of because some people don't want to hear bible quotes all day long. In most work environments if you had something you needed to do due to religious purposes you were allowed the day off. "They didn't say oh sure come on in and perform it here". There needs to be a certain level of restraint when it comes to this subject, no one is saying hide your religion but it sure would be nice if we didn't get it shoved down our throats every day.

Daniel Hood

XenForo Add-On Developer
50% of me is like "dang, everyone being kind of rough"
50% of me is like "he kind of deserves it though"
50% of me is like "nothing about this really makes sense"
And then 50% is like "math and religion though?"

Amaury

Habitué

200% total!

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Hilarious!
And hmmm. There's a reason why we here in the US have the perception of separation between Church and State. Because they don't mix well. And probably shouldn't given the myriad of different religious sects & belief systems.

Same thing with Church and Business imo... Oil and water..

J.

Jon W

Developer
I have heard the term used as you say above (beaten into submission), but the severity at that point would certainly transcend the passage exhorting husbands to love their wives.

And, it should be pointed out that the verse just prior to Ephesians 5:22 reads:

Ephesians 5:21

21 Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.​

So, both parties have equality in this aspect. :)
This verse, in my understanding, isn't being applied to husbands AND wives in relation to each other.

We are equal because God made us all in his image and God loves us all equally. There are plenty of other passages that talk about equality. Such as:
Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
John 13:16
"Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him."
Mark 12:31
"'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."

It is the society that we live in that thinks that submission makes us unequal. Am I unequal with my boss (assuming I had one) because I submit to him/her? It doesn't make me any less of a person in God's eyes just because I have a boss.

I always find it helpful to consider what the Bible doesn't say in the Ephesians 5 passage too. The instruction to men is to love their wives. Nowhere in that passage does it say force your wives to submit or don't love them if they don't submit.

The suggestion is that if you love (agape) your wives in the same way that Jesus loves his church, then she will want to submit willingly. And who wouldn't?

Imagine if your boss loved you as much as Jesus loves his church. What if you knew that your boss would jump in front of a bus to save your life? What if he/she would drop everythiing any time you had a question because you were the most important employee in the world to him/her? If he/she then asked you to do some overtime, you wouldn't question it. And even if you did, he/she would patiently explain to you why it is important for you to do the overtime and would offer to do it for you if you'd prefer. And that's only really scratching the surface of this word "agape".

I willingly submit to Jesus knowing that he loved me enough to die for me, the most excruciating death imaginable and mocked by everyone around him. He has never forced me to submit to him.

Do I get it wrong and try and force my wife to do what I say occassionally? Yes. Is that biblical? No.

Last edited:

Jon W

Developer
So what exactly are you saying? A husband shouldn't love his wife that much?

Is it ironic that a post about a desire to want to be like the one man who was actually able to love the whole world that much, and got ridiculed for it, results in ridicule?

Daniel Hood

XenForo Add-On Developer
Do I get it wrong and try and force my wife to do what I say occassionally? Yes. Is that biblical? No.

Double U Tee Eff

Incase you're talking to me I'll clarify. That's the only context I want my post to be read in.

I'm not trying to ridicule you. This whole thread makes minimal sense. If you want to be a minister, be a minister. I by no means have problem with you believing in God and wanting to be like him. I just don't understand how it fits into your software development model. I also don't understand why you think your model is even close to remotely working. You release all these add ons for free that you can't afford to support because they're free, I get that, but make them paid so you can actually support them or don't release them. It doesn't make sense. Also, when you charge someone for a job, maybe make sure the add on works for them. Just because it works on localhost doesn't mean it works on their big board and that's the issue. You charge top dollar but the ones that can afford to pay top dollar can't run your scripts. It's problematic. I don't think my business model or practices are perfect either but I recognize when I'm slipping and I don't tell people it works how it should when it doesn't and I don't blame them for it not working. You should do the same. You say you know you aren't perfect but you habitually put blame on others instead of accepting your faults and fixing them. I have minimal experience with you but I have noticed you have a reputation for building add ons that don't scale, overcharging, not supporting add ons after a while, and blaming the other developer whenever there's a conflict between add ons. These are problems.

I said it as a joke at first but I was serious when I said half of me thinks everyone is being hard on you but half really thinks you deserve it. I'm also super confused as to why we have 4 pages of posts about christianity on a thread that's supposed to be about a software developer. I get stating your religion, I get wanting other people to love God. I don't get tieing your sales and products and self to your religion so tightly though.

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect

Jon W

Developer
I also don't understand why you think your model is even close to remotely working. You release all these add ons for free that you can't afford to support because they're free, I get that, but make them paid so you can actually support them or don't release them. It doesn't make sense. Also, when you charge someone for a job, maybe make sure the add on works for them. Just because it works on localhost doesn't mean it works on their big board and that's the issue. You charge top dollar but the ones that can afford to pay top dollar can't run your scripts. It's problematic. I don't think my business model or practices are perfect either but I recognize when I'm slipping and I don't tell people it works how it should when it doesn't and I don't blame them for it not working. You should do the same. You say you know you aren't perfect but you habitually put blame on others instead of accepting your faults and fixing them. I have minimal experience with you but I have noticed you have a reputation for building add ons that don't scale, overcharging, not supporting add ons after a while, and blaming the other developer whenever there's a conflict between add ons. These are problems.
You make some really valid points. Thank you. I actually think my problem a lot of the time is undercharging or, as you suggested, not properly charging for downloading the add-ons. This sits hand in hand with the reputation issue that you talk about since I can't charge any more if I have a bad reputation. If I can't afford to support the add-ons I create, then I need to charge more or, as you say, not release them. Its always easier to blame other people and I know I have done that. It's not what I want to be known for. In bringing religion into this, I have made it clear as to the high standards to which I aspire and so I do expect to be held to them. I have a lot of respect for you as a developer and don't take a post like this from you lightly.

Hangman

Tazmanian
I was particularly surprised to discover that you are from the UK(?), and not as I originally thought from your interview as somewhere in the US.

Jake

Developer
You're all being pretty hard on Jon W, he's contributed much more than any of you have to XenForo.. I don't know how you expect him to bend head over heels supporting 250 add-ons that he released for free. I'd completely understand people being mad if they paid for the add-ons and got no support. But people are getting mad and bashing his religion over it.. If the add-on doesn't work for you, and you don't want to pay to get support for it then don't use it. It's a pretty simple concept. There is no way a single person could possibly provide free support for 250 products, he wouldn't have time to do anything that makes him money.. In fact, what I understand from reading the interview is he loses 50% of what he would have made by releasing the add-ons for free...

Just in case it isn't obvious, I'm putting a lot of emphasis on the fact that everything he has released is free.

Last edited: