Interview With Jason Murray (jmurrayhead)

jmurrayhead submitted a new Article:

Interview With Jason Murray (jmurrayhead)

Jason is just a regular forum administrator with experience using vBulletin, MyBB, and XenForo. He is currently interviewing himself and speaking in the third person purely for your amusement.

Let the self-interview begin!

===================================================
Please tell us about yourself.

Oh joy, where to begin...I recently celebrated my 30th birthday, (March 1st). I was born in Saginaw, MI, USA where I lived for 10 years. From there, my family moved to west Michigan to a town known as Grand Haven, (a scene from American Pie 2 was actually filmed there, but it was called "Grand Harbor" in the movie). I lived in Grand Haven for 11 years. At about the age of 13, I had developed a great interest in the world of IT and would spend hours on the computer figuring out how things worked, (more about that later). I worked a retail job for 4 years until I finally had enough and enlisted in the Navy as an Information Systems Technician. After my time on active duty was up, I landed a position in Northern Virginia, part of the Washington DC Metropolitan Area. I've been married twice, divorced once, and have two daughters from my first marriage: Emma (8) and Ava (7).

What is your educational background?

I've always hated school, but I decided that it would be important for me career-wise to go to college. While I was in the Navy and partially into my civilian career, I attended ECPI College of Technology, (now known as ECPI University). I graduated Summa Cum Laude with an Associate of Applied Science in Computer Information Systems in 2008. In December of 2012, I was convinced to go back to school for a Bachelor's degree. I am currently attending Thomas Edison State College for my Bachelor of Science in Applied Science and Technology in Technical Studies.

What are your most important accomplishments thus far?

A lot of people probably say this, but my wife, kids and career are definitely my most important accomplishments.

What got you started with running forums?

I was a member and moderator of ASP Free forums, which runs the vBulletin software. I was really impressed with the software at the time - I believe they were running version 3.0.4. - so I decided to play around with a copy. Around the same time, Developer Shed, which runs a network of sites including ASP Free, was sold to a larger company. Shortly after, the neglect of the sites began and they became ad farms. Seeing this, I decided to open my...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
Are you really chopping wood in that photo or was it just an excuse to flex for the missus?

He lies, he's just flexing... well at least I THINK that's what he's doing. He's looking a little wimpy (JK JK!!! <3 :p)

He lies, he's just flexing... well at least I THINK that's what he's doing. He's looking a little wimpy (JK JK!!! <3 :p)
Not nice! :p My wife took that last summer and thought it would be funny since I was wearing swim trunks and sandals while chopping wood.

Not nice! :p My wife took that last summer and thought it would be funny since I was wearing swim trunks and sandals while chopping wood.
If it makes you feel better, the axe is nice! :p Oh goodness, I'll stop. But I enjoyed reading this, I normally don't read all of the interview.

meetdilip

Tazmanian Master
Didn't know you write this well. It is like a smooth flow of water. :)

Didn't know you write this well. It is like a smooth flow of water. :)
lol I don't think I write that well, but thanks, I'm glad it was a good read for you. :)

I'd like to see some other admins, those that we all see and know from other admin sites and forum software forums, do an interview here. It's kind of nice to see who people really are outside of the forums and what got them into the forum world. Howard - find some more admins to interview!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
lol I don't think I write that well, but thanks, I'm glad it was a good read for you. :)

I'd like to see some other admins, those that we all see and know from other admin sites and forum software forums, do an interview here. It's kind of nice to see who people really are outside of the forums and what got them into the forum world. Howard - find some more admins to interview!

I'm hoping our members will interview some interesting people as part of the contest that just started. :)

Last edited:
I'm hoping our members will interview some interesting people as part of the contest that just started. :)
If I get some extra time, I may try and interview some folks - despite not being eligible for the contest. Naturally, I'll be borrowing some of your questions :p