Interview with Floris Fiedeldij Dop, vBulletin Staff

Mephisteus submitted a new Article:

Interview with Floris Fiedeldij Dop, vBulletin Staff

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hello my name is Floris Fiedeldij Dop, I am male, 28 years old (21 January 1977) and I live in the Netherlands; In an apartment (8 levels up) overlooking some nice nature. I like horse riding and playing guitar. In the past I've had my own web design company and trained my horses to accept--and have patience with--physically/mentally handicapped and sick children. My interests include online communities (specifically the ones powered by vBulletin) and reading fun or important information on the internet (SitePoint.com, SlashDot.org, ThinkGeek.org, TheRegister.co.uk, Daniweb.com, DeskPro.com, some blogs, etc. You can find me in IRC chat rooms having fun with friends and regular community members (irc://irc.vBFans.com/vBFans). I'm busy learning everything I am behind on, which includes PHP and MySQL and basicly life. My experience with online communities is starting-up and managing various-ranged-topics forums. The reason I am online so much is because I can concentrate for only a few hours per day on 'work', after which I get headaches and increased nystagm. I am an albino, and the bright sun light is not my best friend. As you hopefully understand I have quite some time to surf the internet; so for example doing support for Jelsoft is more a hobby.

You are now a well known figure in the vBulletin community, but how did you end up there?
After I moved out of my parents’ farm and into the world on my own, I noticed that I had more and more requests to help family, friends, small to large businesses, find a spot on the internet. I’ve always had an interest in the internet and graphic design so I tried my best and quickly learned how to make web designs and web sites (latest is www.thenewdeli.com and www.vBulletin-Style.com). After a few years my priorities changed and I decided to finish the work I promised and not take on new customers. As a hobby I started an on-line community, which is what I always wanted to do as a personal web site. A central spot where I can hang out and have great conversations with friends. The first year went great, but also horrible. A lot of friends signed up and loved the unique design I made, but the community just didn’t perform as required. After going through OpenBB, phpBB, IPB, and tForum, I decided to find a BBS solution that would really fit the web site; the features, the performance, the support, the quality, etc. On December 31st of 2001...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
He's a forum vBulletin support staff I believe...
He started on the vBulletin platform as far as I know. I *believe* vBulletin-Fans.com was his site.

J.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
Then became a XenForo fan.
Then...For some reason lost interest in XenForo.
The way I remember it ... he got into arguments with Mike and Kier around the lawsuit time.
His name was mentioned by IB for whatever reason.

floris

Habitué
The way I remember it ... he got into arguments with Mike and Kier around the lawsuit time.
His name was mentioned by IB for whatever reason.

My dad was recovering from cancer and I wanted to focus my time and effort in being there for my family. It's why I stepped away from public communities. Thanks for the interest in what's going on with me. I hope that helps clear up some assumptions people have made. My dad got his 5 year check-up this Summer and got the thumbsup.

GTB

Tazmanian
My dad was recovering from cancer and I wanted to focus my time and effort in being there for my family. It's why I stepped away from public communities. Thanks for the interest in what's going on with me. I hope that helps clear up some assumptions people have made. My dad got his 5 year check-up this Summer and got the thumbsup.
Nice to see you come back Floris, seriously.

Kinda missed not seeing you around the forum scene since. Been a long time.

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
Nice to see you come back Floris
I miss his feistiness ! and great ideas.

Guess what is new in Xenforo since you left ?

But good news the next version is due.

GTB

Tazmanian
lol, DD :ROFLMAO:

I don't get why Chris D won't tell us more about the new XF2 editor - when we've already sussed out which one it is they are using. Ugh?

Last edited:

Steve

Fanatic
I don't get why Chris D won't tell us more about the new XF2 editor - when we've already sussed out which one it is they are using. Ugh?
Things can change and any info he mentions may not be true later down the road.

GTB

Tazmanian
Things can change and any info he mentions may not be true later down the road.
Change in what way?

They picked another editor to use instead which has pretty much given itself away in the screen-shot Chris posted and why I was able to find it easy. A bit late in day now really that they'd change editor yet again to another one when XF2 demo is supposed to coming soon in this 3rd quarter of 2016.
I read on XenForo recently a reply from Chris to a person saying they'll "tell more about the new editor later (wouldn't even name it)" - when we already know which one it is. That is what I don't get with XenForo devs, we're now in 3rd quarter of 2016 and when Mike said a demo board might come of XF2 and they won't even talk about something like the new editor used?

When are they actually going to tell people something of any substance? A day before the demo board goes up?

Last edited:

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
My money would be on.... "I bet Chris is mildly surprised couldn't care less GTB guessed the Editor!".
I'll call you on that one.

Then he won't mind you posting this information.

https://theadminzone.com/threads/re...at-xenforo-1-x-didnt-use.141560/#post-1066428

https://theadminzone.com/threads/re...at-xenforo-1-x-didnt-use.141560/#post-1066431

Over here.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-2-0-discussion.79603

Post the screenshots and the editor you think Xenforo will be using.

GTB

Tazmanian
My money would be on.... "I bet Chris is mildly surprised couldn't care less GTB guessed the Editor!".
I didn't say he did care less, it wasn't even my point either.

My point was that Chris D knows we're aware now of what editor is being used. So why tell a person later on XenForo that they'll have wait for info about the new editor and wouldn't even name it? See, I'll be blunt. they just like playing guessing games with everyone, it's vBulletin all over again.

Last edited: