Interview with Floris Fiedeldij Dop, vBulletin Staff

Mephisteus

Enthusiast
Mephisteus submitted a new Article:

Interview with Floris Fiedeldij Dop, vBulletin Staff

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Hello my name is Floris Fiedeldij Dop, I am male, 28 years old (21 January 1977) and I live in the Netherlands; In an apartment (8 levels up) overlooking some nice nature. I like horse riding and playing guitar. In the past I've had my own web design company and trained my horses to accept--and have patience with--physically/mentally handicapped and sick children. My interests include online communities (specifically the ones powered by vBulletin) and reading fun or important information on the internet (SitePoint.com, SlashDot.org, ThinkGeek.org, TheRegister.co.uk, Daniweb.com, DeskPro.com, some blogs, etc. You can find me in IRC chat rooms having fun with friends and regular community members (irc://irc.vBFans.com/vBFans). I'm busy learning everything I am behind on, which includes PHP and MySQL and basicly life. My experience with online communities is starting-up and managing various-ranged-topics forums. The reason I am online so much is because I can concentrate for only a few hours per day on 'work', after which I get headaches and increased nystagm. I am an albino, and the bright sun light is not my best friend. As you hopefully understand I have quite some time to surf the internet; so for example doing support for Jelsoft is more a hobby.

You are now a well known figure in the vBulletin community, but how did you end up there?
After I moved out of my parents’ farm and into the world on my own, I noticed that I had more and more requests to help family, friends, small to large businesses, find a spot on the internet. I’ve always had an interest in the internet and graphic design so I tried my best and quickly learned how to make web designs and web sites (latest is www.thenewdeli.com and www.vBulletin-Style.com). After a few years my priorities changed and I decided to finish the work I promised and not take on new customers. As a hobby I started an on-line community, which is what I always wanted to do as a personal web site. A central spot where I can hang out and have great conversations with friends. The first year went great, but also horrible. A lot of friends signed up and loved the unique design I made, but the community just didn’t perform as required. After going through OpenBB, phpBB, IPB, and tForum, I decided to find a BBS solution that would really fit the web site; the features, the performance, the support, the quality, etc. On December 31st of 2001...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

NBSdesignz

CEO of NBSdesignz
WOW great interview, well done to TAZ, and many thanks to Floris for his time to a inside of yourself, thou alot i personally knew there is still alot i didn't.

Great Stuff :)

The Sandman

Administrator
Thanks Mephisteus and Floris for the great interview. :) I learned a couple of things about the Dopster!

Lugh

Habitué
Good interview. Floris is a real asset to the vB community, nice to read how he developed his interest and skill :)

KimmiKat

Adherent
Excellent article about the Dopster! He's an very good asset to the Jelsoft team. :D

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
:tiphat: Excellent interview! Thanks for providing it to the TAZ community!

MGM

vBulletin Guru
That was a great interview... I loved reading it...

"the calm before the storm" .... a vB4 hint if I ever saw one :D

MGM out

Starlite

Aspirant
Great interview, I enjoyed learning that info, now I know more about Floris than I thought I would ever know.

Dakoom

Web City
Floris, sometimes friendly, sometimes not. LOL
I think he's a great worker.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Anyone know what Floris is up to ?
I thought about him the other day, as he just had a birthday recently.
I'm not at all sure what he's been up to lately though. He was a good guy though. Hope things are good with him anyway.

J.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Was the floris the one who owned a variety of forums that all shared a common name? I remember someone by that name doing that.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
There was something like we-network or something like that which I can remember. I want to say TAZ or Morgy did a video interview with him. It was a long time ago and my ole memory ain't the best anymore.