Interview with eva2000 - vBulletin Server Optimisation Guru

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with eva2000 - vBulletin Server Optimisation Guru

Anyone familiar with the vBulletin.com community knows George Liu (AKA eva2000), the server optimisation guru. George has helped countless people fix server issues and get their sites running at maximum performance. I asked George to do an interview with us and he cranked out this awesome writeup in just a couple of days. Thanks George!

==============================================

Can you tell us a little about yourself - a short bio?

I'm pretty much a private person when it comes to my personal life so pretty much at odds with the phenomenon that is Facebook - posting every little tidbit about oneself online for folks to see. But short bio:

• My sister and I are Chinese and were born in England and spent quarter of our lives in England and the rest of the time now in the country I call home, Australia.
  • My parents are from Hong Kong but both spent two thirds of their lives overseas in England and Australia as well.
  • I speak English and Cantonese (can't read though).
  • Due mainly to my parents work, between England and Australia, I've lived at and moved homes a total of 10 times and prior to university, attended a total of 8 schools, including 4 different high schools in two cities/states, Sydney, New South Wales and Brisbane, Queensland.

What is your educational experience?

Bachelor of Commerce with minor electives in Political Science (PACS - Peace & Conflict Studies) and Psychology from University of Queensland. Due to financial reasons at the time, I had to turn down an invitation into the Political Science department's PACs Honours program. Psychology and PACs knowledge armed me well for my role in technical support dealing with sometimes irate customers and conflict resolution etc.

What is your fulltime job?

Working for vBulletin.com since 2001 and also doing private server optimisation consulting (for vB clients and non-vB clients).

Take us through your schedule on a typical work day.

There's no real typical day as hours at vBulletin.com are very flexible. For private consult work can come and go hard and fast with lots of work in a short span, or nothing for weeks. The last 6-8 months have been pretty busy though. For vBulletin.com work, over the past few years it has steered me more towards working with vBulletin customers to providing basic courtesy server optimisation advice on forums and making sure the server...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

IcEWoLF

Habitué
Great interview!
I am also a big fan of the Neo Evangelion series!

Lisa

Chaotically Proportional
I think this is possibly the best interview I've ever seen on TAZ. Fantastic insight into George :)

Adam H

** Retired **
Outstanding Interview and great guy all around. Nice one George.

eva2000

Habitué

Namorat

Duder
Great and interesting interview, even for someone only slightly interested in the general matter as I am ^^

IcEWoLF

Habitué
Always great to find other Anime fans - can you guess which Anime series my forum avatar is from ? :)

Thanks Lisa :)

Thanks Adam :)

I loved Rurouni Kenshin!
I loved the OVA more!

I learned tons of stuff about VPS servers and server caching from eva2000 and also http://vbtechsupport.com/ is an awesome source of really good information!

eva2000

Habitué
Thanks, glad my blog is helping others.

and yup, Rurouni Kenshin - another of my fav Animes :D

DelDrago

Enthusiast
Great interview!

George is an incredibly knowledgeable and helpful guy. This past spring I decided to optimize my VPS, and George's support was invaluable. He made all the difference.

eva2000

Habitué
Great interview!

George is an incredibly knowledgeable and helpful guy. This past spring I decided to optimize my VPS, and George's support was invaluable. He made all the difference.

Thanks for the comments, glad I could help :)

Kathy

Tazmanian Veteran
I've appreciated the kind help that George provides with his server tweaking. He is brilliant! I'm very proud of you George!

bernard

Enthusiast
Thanks for the interview George. Your posts have helped me out over the years. It's nice to finally understand what your username means.

TheChiro

Devotee
Great interview! I've spoken with George only through PM's and forum posts but overall you can tell he's a nice person and vB is lucky to have him on the team.

eva2000

Habitué
I've appreciated the kind help that George provides with his server tweaking. He is brilliant! I'm very proud of you George!
Hey Kathy thanks for the kind words. Love your avatar :D

Thanks for the interview George. Your posts have helped me out over the years. It's nice to finally understand what your username means.
Thanks bernard.

Great interview! I've spoken with George only through PM's and forum posts but overall you can tell he's a nice person and vB is lucky to have him on the team.

Thanks TheChiro :)

GasaiYuno

Adherent
Do you have any pet peeves?
Quite a few, rudeness and general lack of manners is probably at the top of my list. If I say good morning to someone, I’d expect the same in reply. If I answer a phone call, I’d expect the person on the other end to say who they are and why they’re calling first. Ever gotten a phone call and the first words out of the line is, ‘can I speak to…?’

Oh my gosh.. I hate this too! I'm also amazed to see someone else who likes Japanese anime who is pretty much successful. Usually never see too many people who like it if they're a big name or famous.

You need to check out the manga and anime of Mirai Nikki.

eva2000

Habitué
Great interview!
Thanks

Oh my gosh.. I hate this too! I'm also amazed to see someone else who likes Japanese anime who is pretty much successful. Usually never see too many people who like it if they're a big name or famous.

You need to check out the manga and anime of Mirai Nikki.
Thanks and great hear other folks peeved with some folks phone manners :)

Webbstre

Aspirant
Hello! Second introduction time: I found this site a little while back, thanks exclusively to me trying to get some tips on optimization for vbulletin and this interview showing up. What I'd like to know is how to get in contact with George here for help making sure my server is set up right. I tried making forum posts on related topics in the past and tried sending him a PM, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I couldn't find any place where he sells his optimization services (if he's allowed to while working for vbulletin?). I can't help but feel like I'm having bad luck or that I'm going about this in the wrong way. :/