Interview with eva2000 - vBulletin Server Optimisation Guru

• Admin
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with eva2000 - vBulletin Server Optimisation Guru

Anyone familiar with the vBulletin.com community knows George Liu (AKA eva2000), the server optimisation guru. George has helped countless people fix server issues and get their sites running at maximum performance. I asked George to do an interview with us and he cranked out this awesome writeup in just a couple of days. Thanks George!

==============================================

Can you tell us a little about yourself - a short bio?

I'm pretty much a private person when it comes to my personal life so pretty much at odds with the phenomenon that is Facebook - posting every little tidbit about oneself online for folks to see. But short bio:

• My sister and I are Chinese and were born in England and spent quarter of our lives in England and the rest of the time now in the country I call home, Australia.
  • My parents are from Hong Kong but both spent two thirds of their lives overseas in England and Australia as well.
  • I speak English and Cantonese (can't read though).
  • Due mainly to my parents work, between England and Australia, I've lived at and moved homes a total of 10 times and prior to university, attended a total of 8 schools, including 4 different high schools in two cities/states, Sydney, New South Wales and Brisbane, Queensland.

What is your educational experience?

Bachelor of Commerce with minor electives in Political Science (PACS - Peace & Conflict Studies) and Psychology from University of Queensland. Due to financial reasons at the time, I had to turn down an invitation into the Political Science department's PACs Honours program. Psychology and PACs knowledge armed me well for my role in technical support dealing with sometimes irate customers and conflict resolution etc.

What is your fulltime job?

Working for vBulletin.com since 2001 and also doing private server optimisation consulting (for vB clients and non-vB clients).

Take us through your schedule on a typical work day.

There's no real typical day as hours at vBulletin.com are very flexible. For private consult work can come and go hard and fast with lots of work in a short span, or nothing for weeks. The last 6-8 months have been pretty busy though. For vBulletin.com work, over the past few years it has steered me more towards working with vBulletin customers to providing basic courtesy server optimisation advice on forums and making sure the server...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael_S

Aspirant
Wonderful interview! I've used George's optimisation services a couple of times on www.Team-BHP.com and it's always been a stellar experience. As a vbulletin Admin, it's nice to have him around :)

Which reminds me, I had better drop him a note for a full checkup & optimisation exercise.

eva2000

Habitué
Wonderful interview! I've used George's optimisation services a couple of times on www.Team-BHP.com and it's always been a stellar experience. As a vbulletin Admin, it's nice to have him around :)

Which reminds me, I had better drop him a note for a full checkup & optimisation exercise.

Thanks for the kind words, always a pleasure to see servers I work on, get a second lease on life with more performance :D

cool interview, thanks!

Thanks

Happy holidays folks :D

LAFreeways

Aspirant
Great interview. George, I was with IB back when it acquired Gelsoft and all the great things we heard about the team there were borne out. I still use vB whenever I start or pick up new forums, so thanks for all the great work.

Stan

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
I know this is a couple years old - but what a great interview. A Grisham and Star Trek fan? What a combination. I thought I was the only one hahaha.

Anyway - it's always nice getting to know a little bit about the person behind the username/avatar. So thanks for sharing. It's been a riveting read actually. And I must say THANKS so much for introducing me to Lakyn Heperi. This dude is not only fine as hell - but he's pure musical genius. I can only imagine the amount of personal turmoil (or even personal triumph) this dude has experienced during his life... To be able to take that and emote in such a powerfully musical way. What a gift! Definitely calling myself a Lakyn fan now!

Question - it's been a couple years since this interview. Care to update us on what's been happening in the life of Eva2000? :D

J.

Last edited by a moderator:

eva2000

Habitué
Thanks for the kind words.. yes did I mention a Star Wars fan too (upcoming movies will be interesting :D )

Yes Lakyn is awesome :)

As to what I am doing now still mainly server optimisation related work. But more focussed on my Centmin Mod Nginx auto installer project as that has really grown in the past 24 months with 1000s of downloads each month and many users from all areas including vBulletin, Xenforo, IP.Board, NodeBB, Magento, Joomla, Drupal, ownCloud and a huge majority of Wordpress users choosing to use Centmin Mod for Nginx/PHP-FPM/MariaDB MySQL combination :)

Working on soon to be released Centmin Mod .07 release - preview of features at https://blog.centminmod.com/388 as well as traditioning my Google+ Community http://centminmod.com/gcom to a new dedicated forum software - currently in progressive release stages (should be able to find where ;) )

Also moving the Centmin Mod code to Github too https://blog.centminmod.com/382 :)

Dan18

Fan
My vBulletin v.1 forum (which I'd like to keep the name private) was growing with up to 1,000+ users online and 3,500+ new posts per day.
I would like to know how is the forum stats on this one right now? :D
50x size already?

eva2000

Habitué
unfortunately that forum's community activity died as members grew up and moved on and didn't help that financially it was hard for me to sustain that growth back then when web hosting costs were high i.e. dedicated servers back then were US$400-800/month ! :(

Dan18

Fan
unfortunately that forum's community activity died as members grew up and moved on and didn't help that financially it was hard for me to sustain that growth back then when web hosting costs were high i.e. dedicated servers back then were US$400-800/month ! :(
Very sad to hear that :(