Interview with Dietrich Moerman - UseBB Creator

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Dietrich Moerman - UseBB Creator

Dietrich Moerman, known to the members of TAZ as PC_Freak, is the creator of UseBB, a light and Open Source PHP and MySQL based forum package developed with simplicity and usability in mind and distributed freely under the GPL license. Although currently still in beta, UseBB 1.0 is expected to be released early next year. Dietrich spent lot of time answering our questions so that we could find out more about him and about UseBB. :)

=========================

Can you give us a brief bio?

> I am an 18-year-old from Belgium - Flanders to be more exact (that's the part where mostly Dutch is spoken). Belgium is the country where all the good chocolates come from. :) Currently, I still live with my parents, and I don't have a girlfriend.

What is your educational background?

> I finished high school last year in "economics-modern languages" and I am currently following courses in applied informatics at least for the next three years.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

> Getting to know at least one modern programming language (which is PHP) quite well and having a good project with strong potential.

Any failures you'd like to tell us about?

> In 2002 I joined a Belgian website whose goal was to help people with computer problems. I was assigned to be a moderator and later climbed up to administrator level, and have put my efforts in the project for several years. After a couple of years, it went completely wrong, team members leaving and people seeking to make some profit from it. I left and rejoined the project a few times but about a year ago I have left it behind completely. It's sad to see that all your work and free time put in the project has vanished in less than a year. But after all, I have learnt much from it.

What are your favourite books? Movies? TV shows? Music? Games? Foods? Beverages?

> I absolutely hate novels, so you won't find me reading them. :) I seldom watch movies - only when I'm watching TV and find one by accident which looks good. That's usually an action movie. I watch some TV shows, but only Belgian programs, especially humorous ones.

> When I was little, I used to play games a lot, but nowadays less and less, except for some simulation or strategy games. I currently play a bit of Age of Empires 3 and that's about it.

> I listen to quite a lot of music, especially in the big beat, breakbeat...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
I took a look at UseBB and I like what I see. I'm not crazy about the adminCP (or lack thereof) but will definitely use the board in the future. I just did a quick install and it was simple. I added categories and forums through phpMyAdmin and it went smoothly.. This can be a nice change from using phpBB...

bradley

Rockforums.net admin
usebb is nice and easy to skin. this was my effort: www.puretrends.com

the best thing, in my opinion, is the links to new posts etc - it uses anchor text, so way more search-engine spider friendly than even the big boys in the game!

Exyicon

@Exyicon
Nice interview. He's only 18 and he's created all this is his spare time. Not bad.

Nudaii

Adherent
He was 18 in 2005, when interview was posted :unhunh:

imagine he is closer to 24 now:coffee:

Jamsplash

Aspirant
Awesome interview... It's strange to think about how much has changed in 8 years. I bet the creator of UseBB is rich and even more talented now!

It would be really cool if you could find out what he's working on now and see how far along he has come :)

Meles

Neophyte
Awesome interview... It's strange to think about how much has changed in 8 years. I bet the creator of UseBB is rich and even more talented now!

It would be really cool if you could find out what he's working on now and see how far along he has come :)
That would be really interesting also an update about his new projects