Interview with Corey Chapman - YaBB Project Leader

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Corey Chapman - YaBB Project Leader

Corey Chapman, AKA crackers8, is the Project Manager of YaBB (Yet another Bulletin Board). For background information, read the Interview with Zef Hemel, Jeff Lewis, and Corey Chapman conducted by Open Tech Support back in November '01. Of course, we also did a TAZ Interview with Zef Hemel a few months back. Corey has taken up the reins, and YaBB 2 will soon be released. Let's see if we can find out why Corey is so excited about it and in the process get to know Corey on a more personal level as well.

==========================

Can you give us a brief bio?

I turned 24 in July. I was born near St. Louis, Missouri, where I lived most of my life. I recently moved to South Carolina for my first post-college job with Ring Container Technologies. I’ve been the Project Leader for YaBB for 4 years, while also running a business on the side (XIMinc). My hobbies include web programming, swimming, rollerblading, listening to music, collecting things, and doing crazy things like mountain biking or parasailing. I’m also one of those guys that carries his camera practically everywhere.

What is your educational background?

I gained most of my knowledge from the people I have worked with in clubs and extracurricular activities through my 18 years in school. I also owe a lot to my co-op with Anheuser-Busch and my internship with a financial planning company.

I graduated in 2004 with a BS in Engineering Management and a Minor in Computer Science from the University of Missouri – Rolla. I hope to be fortunate enough to live near a school some day that I like enough to get a Masters degree at while still working full time. In what? I don’t know.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

I like to call myself a modern-day “renaissance man” because I’m always joining clubs – social, service, academic – whatever I can get my hands on. And I like to learn and do a little of everything. I even played the clarinet in band for 7 ½ years.

My biggest accomplishments include getting on the Internet 10 years ago and having the ability to teach myself any computer language I put myself up to. That and my club experiences allowed me to be successful in joining the wonderful YaBB team with Zef Hemel and Jeff Lewis 5...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

crackers8

Developer
Thank you for the interview, The Sandman. It was a pleasure. And I apologize to everyone that actually reads through the entire thing! I have trouble being brief sometimes, especially when it's a topic I have a lot of interest in. As always, it is a pleasure to participate in the Admin Zone discussions.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
LOL - it certainly is the definitive Corey Chapman interview. :D Thanks for taking the time to participate!

MetalJoe

Aspirant
Nice read, I have recently got involed with the YaBB community and it has been very helpfull for me and it's great to be able to help others. I think it woudl be great to have all forum software to be able to interact with each other as Corey has described.

Last edited:

primal1

Neophyte
Sandman and Corey - Thanks so much for the informative interview. I've implemented several YaBB forums over time and enjoy knowing more about those involved with the evolution of the product. It's especially nice to get a brief snapshot of the "real" lifestyle of one of the key players - I guess my lifestyle isn't quite so totally out of balance afterall, though I do envy Corey's much smarter inclusion of "non-work" activities in his routine. Thanks for helping to bring a better perspective of the "human" side of this business into the equation!

shanda

Aspirant
As a user of YaBB and member of the YaBB Forum I've often benefitted from Corey's knowledge and willingness to help anyone. It's nice to read an interview with this very intelligent young man.

As an added bonus to reading this interview I've found THIS forum and have already registered and read a lot of good tips here about Administering a community Forum.

So thank you Corey and The Sandman, this was indeed a great read :)

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
shanda said:
As a user of YaBB and member of the YaBB Forum I've often benefitted from Corey's knowledge and willingness to help anyone. It's nice to read an interview with this very intelligent young man.

As an added bonus to reading this interview I've found THIS forum and have already registered and read a lot of good tips here about Administering a community Forum.

So thank you Corey and The Sandman, this was indeed a great read :)
Thank you! :D

crackers8

Developer
The Sandman said:
Thank you! :D
Thanks for the comments, guys. Maybe we can get some YaBB developer interviews up here soon so you don't have to rely on my biased words :)

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
crackers8 said:
Thanks for the comments, guys. Maybe we can get some YaBB developer interviews up here soon so you don't have to rely on my biased words :)
Have them contact me if they're interested and I'll make it so. :D