Interview with Charles Warner

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Charles Warner

Charles Warner is the President of Invision Power Services. Several months ago Charles answered some questions for an interview with us. I had planned to do some follow up qustions but somehow it fell through the cracks and we never got around to it. Rather than delay any longer I've decided to release it in its current form. :)

==========================

Can you give as a brief bio?

I am 24 years old and was born in Torrington, Connecticut. I moved to Virginia about 11 years ago with my family. I have two older sisters who love to give the other staff of IPS interesting bits of childhood embarrassments to annoy me with.

What would you want to do for a living if you weren't the President of IPS?

More than likely I would be a meteorologist. Many of my coworkers find great amusement in my fascination with weather.

What are your favorite books? Movies? Music? Games? Foods? Beverages?

I rarely watch movies. I read quite often and the subjects range from Consumer Reports to history and mathematics. My latests trend is reading all I can on language history.

What do you drive?

VW Jetta at the moment. I am trading it in soon though.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

Probably the success of IPS. In the begining it was touch and go, as any new business tends to be. It took a little over a year to truly stabalize the company.

Any failures you'd like to tell us about?

And ruin my image?

What is your opinion on the open source vs proprietary software debate in general? What about forum software specifically?

I am not sure there is a debate as much as there is a difference of view. Both open source and proprietary software have their uses and target market. We use a good mix here and it really depends on what you're doing if an open source product exists that is developed and supported well enough or if you might need to pruchased a proprietary product.

How do you see the internet in general changing over the next 5 to 10 years? What about online communities in particular?

I believe online communities will become the norm around the Internet. The majority of people either hardly use the Internet (just for email, weather, and news) or live and breath it. The latter group will be those that continue to drive the community movement.

Tell us about the formation of Invision Power Services.

It was quite an...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

WiZu

eXcommunity Founder
It was... nice. He sounded sort of 'mean' to me, dunno why.

Tha Champ

Enthusiast
Any truth to the rumors that you lock Matt in a basement while he's coding upcoming releases?

I do waterproof the basement first. Lifetime warranty on a dry floor no less.

LOL.

Great! :p

MrDiaz

Planet Diaz admin
hey he sounds like an awesome guy. I hope I can meet with him sometime.

Davidcam12

Neophyte
It's really interesting..Charles is terrified by Cats...It's too funny...great experience...I hope we will get more next time...:tup:

HallofFamer

Habitué
umm IPB should've always stayed as a freeware, or simply served as a paid-ware right from the beginning. I can see how many customers left when Invisionfree 1.3 turned into a paid service when IPB upgraded to version 2.0.

CMOBOSS

All About Da-Cookies.
Great read. another informative, and yet comical interview. Thanks Howard ;) (and of course Charles... )

DaveL

Habitué
umm IPB should've always stayed as a freeware, or simply served as a paid-ware right from the beginning. I can see how many customers left when Invisionfree 1.3 turned into a paid service when IPB upgraded to version 2.0.
How long ago did they introduce pricing??? That was many many years ago and IPB is now a completly different product to what it was back then.
IPB is worth its price tag.