Interview with Brian Moon

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Brian Moon

Brian Moon, the creator of Phorum, uses certain words quite a bit when describing his forum software - speed, power, expandability, and integration. David took the time to give this very well written, detailed interview to tell us about it.

==============================

Can you give us a brief bio?

I live near Birmingham, AL. Unlike most web developers these days, I am not a teenager. I am 32, married and have five children ages 5mos. thru 9yrs. No, I am not Catholic or Mormon (not that there is anything wrong with those, just get asked that a lot). I was born in Huntsville, AL and raised my entire life in Alabama. I love it here. Don’t believe all the stereotypes.

What is your educational background?

On those forms you fill out, I check “Some College”. I was going to college at a time when the IT world here in Birmingham was in flux. If you knew anything about Visual Basic, you were hired. Work and kids didn’t leave much time for school so I never finished.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

My family is the thing I am the most proud of. I have not gone the normal route of 2 kids and a dog. My wife has more to do with that than I do I guess. I have also taken a leadership role in hobbies that have been very fulfilling. Phorum is obviously very important to me. It has opened doors for me that would not have been open otherwise including my current job.

Any failures you’d like to tell us about?

Well, there is no Phorum 2 or Phorum 4. Both were not very good code. They never made it out of early dev stages.

I do wish I could have finished college and I still may do that some day.

One day, long ago at dealnews, I was told to write some poll software. It brought the site to its knees because it was loading up a 30k file on every page load. This was on a shared web account back in those days. Our CEO loves telling that story cause I swore it was not my code for like two hours before we realized it was.

What are your favorite books? Movies? TV shows? Music? Games? Foods? Beverages?

I read slowly, so I don’t read much. I cry when I watch Rocky. Don’t know why, I just do. I will watch Better Off Dead, My Cousin Vinnie, and a few others if I ever see them on. Then there are the classics. Casablanca and Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner are great.

I often surprise those around me with my range of...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:
A

AWS

The Wrox book, PHP 4 programming, uses Phorum code as an example. This in itself tells how good the code is and how well respected Brian is.

brianlmoon

Neophyte
AWS said:
The Wrox book, PHP 4 programming, uses Phorum code as an example.

I am glad you like that book. I wrote that part of that book. They wanted me to write more of it, but I did not have the time.

A

AWS

It was the book I used to learn php. I still have it and use it as a reference. It sits right next to my php5 and mysql bible.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
/me thinks I should have asked AWS to conduct this interview!

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
Very cool.

I was born in Huntsville, Alabama as well haha. Still live here at this moment. Got a friend that goes to UAB and I am in Bham alot.

Good article

brianlmoon

Neophyte
Phorum 5.2 is out now. It has lots of new features not mentioned here. You can read my blog post about it at http://brian.moonspot.net/2008/01/02/96/.

FWIW, MySQL.com uses it. InnoDB.com (storage engine for MySQL) uses it. And just today I found out that Anti-virus company AVG uses it. What we lack in quantity of installs, we make up for in quality of installs.

famade

Neophyte
I was born in Huntsville, Alabama as well haha. Still live here at this moment. Got a friend that goes to UAB and I am in Bham alot.

Good article :bouncy::bouncy:

Last edited by a moderator:

SupNY

Aspirant
Total genius and a real down to earth chap by the sounds of it, good read indeed!