Interview with Brad Baker - Joomla Community Administrator

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Brad Baker - Joomla Community Administrator

Brad Baker is the Adminstrator of the Joomla Community Forums and a member of the Joomla Core Team. As most of you already know, Joomla is a powerful Open Source Content Management Systems used all over the world for everything from simple websites to complex corporate applications.

===========================================

Please tell us a little about yourself.

In my 30's, living just North of Byron Bay, Australia, however, originally from South Africa.In the process of moving down to Sydney.

Can you summarize you educational experience for us?

Most of my experience comes from running a few of my own IT businesses, as well as IT manager for smaller businesses.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

Being able to work from home, and enjoying life I consider a major accomplishment.

Any failures you'd like to tell us about?

A few great business ideas that never took off.

What is your primary occupation?

Owner/manager of my own business, but also full time customer support/server admin manager.

What other projects and/or ventures are you involved in?

Joomla, Rochen (my day job), and XYZulu (my local business). Also a few other ideas always warming on the fire.

How do you manage your time? Will you describe what you do on a daily and/or weekly basis?

Scary topic. I start each day at about 5.30am in order to get what I need done. Sadly, some days I will work for more than 12 hours straight, but I try to ensure I balance my time effectively. I work 7 days a week, but am semi-flexible when I need to take days/time off to do other things.

What is your ultimate professional goal, your dream job?

I've got it!

How did you become interested in Online Communities? Are they an important part of the internet? Of people's lives?

I only use online methods of communication for greater efficiency and collaboration of information. I really *had* no social reason to get involved. Having watched things grow though, to many people online communities means so much to them, so while they may not to me, I remind myself of the need to consider how others feel about them. That is not to say that online communities are not important to me, they are, but not for the social reasons.

What is Joomla and why is it important for forum administrators?

It's a content...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

projectego

Participant
Great interview. It's always interesting to learn more about the guys who work behind the scenes at some of the highest profile CMS' on the 'net. :)

Ni9htRider

Neophyte
I agree, that is a great interview.

That's a possible future for many webmasters on this forum.

hitgirl

Participant
Ahh, a fellow Australian! I live just north of Byron Bay! :)

Great interview. ;)

hiphopave.net

Participant
I've never tried using Joomla with a forum. Has anyone had any success with this? I always thought vBA as the best front end CMS with vbulletin...

fireworking

Neophyte
Joomla with a forums is very complicated though. But is is also very interesting. I enjoyed reading this. Thanks.

datatrond

Neophyte
I have been using Joomla since 2005. I've also been using Mambo, Drupal, and other content management systems. My best experience is working with Joomla CMS. It is extremely robust and flexible! When combining Joomla with PHPBB/Fireboard you will have a very good forum application running. If you want to expand further with a social network you can install and use Jomsocial that also let users show their last forum posts in module positions on different positions on their profiles and more. I don't think Joomla has any really good blogging extensions yet so I've integrated wordpress into the site to handle the blogging. Regarding forum applications Joomla has a wide range of different forum extensions available and it is also possible to install and use bridges to most forum applications available!

Nice Interview! :)

Best regards,
Trond

Last edited:

Samyan

Aspirant
Great Interview.
I was wondering is it possible to create a "games site" with Joomla? Something a bit like Miniclip or site like that?

Last edited by a moderator: