Interview with Andrew Gallant - wtcBB Developer

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Andrew Gallant - wtcBB Developer

Andrew Gallant, AKA jamslam, is the developer of WebTricksCentral Bulletin Board. wtcBB is free of charge and is supported via the wtcBB Website and Community Forums. The latest release is wtcBB 1.1.6, but Andrew is very busy working on wtcBB 2. There is also a Development Blog. Let's find out more about Andrew and wtcBB.

========================

Can you give us a brief bio?

My name is Andrew Gallant, I’m 18 years old, and I’m currently a senior attending high school. I live in Massachusetts in the Worcester area, maintain three jobs, and a heavy course load.

What is your educational background?

Seeing as how I’m still in high school, I do not have any. Hopefully I’ll be able to graduate though J

I do however want to go all the way up to the doctorate level in Computer Science.

What is the significance of your username, jamslam?

It’s a rather corny story, but it originated 8 years ago. As I was entering the online world, I had to pick a username for an email account I was signing up for. I was huge into basketball (I still am, but I find I have less time for it), so naturally I loved the theme song for the movie, “Space Jam.” I wanted to use “slamjam,” however it was taken, so I flipped it around and got “jamslam.” It has since then stuck.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

Some of my more official accomplishments would include a perfect math score on the MCAS, a 5 (perfect) on the AP Computer Science AB exam, and the Junior Medalist award for Computer Science for my school.

Some of the better accomplishments include the development of wtcBB, wtcSQLite (which placed 2nd in Zend’s PHP 5 Coding contest about a year ago), and photospit.com.

What are your favorite books? Movies? TV shows? Music? Games? Foods? Beverages?

Most of the books I read are computer related, but when they aren’t about programming you will usually find me reading Dean Koontz books. My favorite of his is Strangers.

The Simpsons, Family Guy, and 24 rank as my top three favorite TV shows.

As for music, I listen to almost all kinds. Alternative, soft rock, hard rock, rap, some punk rock, and my favorite genre- classic rock. My favorite artist would have to be Bryan Adams.

Games? I don’t get around to playing much, but I would have to say...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelley

Tazmanian
Scribbller said:
Excellent interview I always thought Shelly owned wtcbb and photosplit.
Andrew owns it all, I get the luxury of seeing the whole development process and designing the graphics which Andrew has given me full descretion over. ;)

Excellent interview. :tup:

jamslam

Aspirant
Scribbller said:
Excellent interview I always thought Shelly owned wtcbb and photosplit.
She wishes :p

In all seriousness, I'd just like to thank The Sandman, The Admin Zone and all their staff for giving me this opportunity.

I think you guys have done a great job building up a vast resourse, and I have added it to my list of web sites that I visit daily- so hopefully you'll see more of me here :)

phoenixdown21

The Man with the Plan
This was a great interview and it was interesting to read your particular perpsectives on the vast number of questions that Sandman tosses at people ;)

fasherman

Participant
Now would be a great time for a follow-up interview. Last fall's high school senior should be this year's college freshman, right? I'll even help out and ask the questions:

1. How many colleges did you apply to and why?
2. Which ones accepted?
3. Which one did you choose and why?
4. Do you think you'll have trouble balancing the demands of being a college freshman with continuing to develop and maintain wtcBB?
5. Does the time required to support wtcBB allow you any time for a normal teenager social life?
6. wtcBB2 is still in alpha 10 months after the last interview. What have been the biggest challenges?
7. Early this year, you learned that your software had been stolen - maybe thats no the right word - by a company in Europe. How did you feel seeing someone else take credit for your work and how difficult was it to resolve?
8. And now the tough one... Faced with the reality of college tuition and expenses and the time necessary to develop/maintain wtcBB have you been tempted at all to make it a commecial product or renewable license software?