Interview with Andreas [vBulletin Developer]

• Admin

The Sandman

Administrator
The Sandman submitted a new Article:

Interview with Andreas [vBulletin Developer]

Andreas, AKA "the hacker formerly known as KirbyDE", recently joined the Jelsoft staff as a vBulletin developer. As Kirby, Andreas was the source of quite a few modifications and hacks at vBulletin.org. Now, he's using that experience to troubleshoot bugs in the vBulletin code. Although this takes up a fair bit of his day, Andreas still takes the time to publish new hacks and give hack support when he has the time, and to give advice to other hackers regarding modification techniques. Between bugs, Andreas found some time to take part in an Admin Zone interview. :)

================================

Can you give us a brief bio?

My name is Andreas, and I am 26 years old. I was born in a small village in Bavaria (Germany) and grew up there. After finishing school, I did my one year of civilian service (instead of going to the army) at a residential home for the elderly. Since then, I've been studying computer science at the University of Technology Darmstadt (Germany).

What is your educational background?

I did my Abitur back in 2000. At the moment, I am studying at the university.

What do you consider as your accomplishments up to this point?

I’ve successfully gotten a driver’s license. :D (Was a bit of a problem, as it took 3 attempts to complete ...)

Jokes aside: Nothing really special I think.

Any failures you’d like to tell us about?

Spellcheckers... and women. :D

I’ve tried to write a good spellchecker several times, but always failed. Also, I am still single and expect to keep this state for another long time.

What are your favorite books? Movies? TV shows? Music? Games? Foods? Beverages?

To be honest, I don’t read many books - except reference books.

I like science-fiction and action movies, Enemy of the State and Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home being two of my favourites.

Normally, I don’t listen music, except when I am in the car or at work (I used to work at a gas-station part-time, still doing so every now and then). Guess nobody would believe than, but I only have 2 music CDs - in total. :D

Although I do have a TV, I seldom use it - most content is just stupid or boring. What I do like are shows like Who Want’s To Be A Millionaire or “Wetten, Dass ...?” (don’t know if anybody knows that,
it’s a show where people bet they can do exceptional things like dragging a 40ton truck with muscle power).

I like playing games like monopoly or settlers...
Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

rex_b

Fanatic
Great interview! This guy seems really normal and down to Earth! Glad to see Vbull add another great coder!

Danny.VBT

Adherent
That was a really great interview. Kir- I mean Andreas has done so much for vbulletin.org. And I also always wondered what his signature meant. Again, great interview. :)

Ogden2k

Interesting interview. Kirby or Andreas has helped me a few times in the past.

DChapman

Devotee
Kudos to Andreas for taking the time for the interview. Some interesting stuff there...

KeithMcL

Freelance Web Designer
[Zoints]DChapman said:
Kudos to Andreas for taking the time for the interview. Some interesting stuff there...
I second that :) I'm sure Andreas will help make vBulletin a much better product in the coming years.

Link

Adherent
Did you mind giving up your old username, KirbyDE? What was the significance of that name anyway?

Not too much. As most of you will know, Kirby is a character from old Nintendo Video-Games (Kirby’s Dreamland, etc.). I liked these Games when I was young, so I chose this as a Nick - and as Kirby was already in use I added the TLD of my home country (Germany=.de).
Go back to the insatiably polymorphic puff ball!

MGM

vBulletin Guru
Great interview... congrats to Andreas for getting into the vB team... and thanks to TAZ for providing the interview!

MGM out

trigon

Aspirant
Very interesting, i know andreas from his hacks, he helped me with some of them, but i dont know so much like now about him, very very interesting. thx for this to The Sandman

Shanetim

Enthusiast
That was a really good interview. It's good to know that even hardcore vB coders are still human. ;)

He seems to have a good grasp on what vB is lacking and what makes a good forum.

- Shane.

diamondblast

Neophyte
hi thats a cool interview , Andreas sounds like a good guy,
he gives hack support and all :) does he charge for that?
maybe he can get advices on women in return :)

famade

Neophyte
Brilliant kid...but hacking and bugging site is not good...Well, it will be easy for him now to track the bug in vBulletin, he put it anyway.

Kvp_vs_mAs

Neophyte
How would you describe your moderation style?

I am trying to be fair to everyone. Whenever there are disputes between users (or users and staff), I try to find a compromise which is acceptable for either party. Also, I try not to get too involved in discussions, as this causes you not to be objective any longer. Though, I must admit, I do fail at this quite often.

What are the most common technical mistakes you see new admins making?

Sticking too many hacks into the board. ;)

One should only add the Hacks that are “really needed”. 5 “extra pips” on postbit and a 3 row navbar menu doesn’t add functionality, it just makes the site bloated and hard to navigate.

What are the most common administrative mistakes you see new admins making?

Creating too many forums. If you are just starting a new board with a few members, there is no need for 100+ subforums - as there will only be a few posts anyway. I think it’s enough to start with a few forums (Site Feedback/Problems, General Small-Tals/OT-Forum, 1-3 “Topic Forums”), and only add new forums when they really become necessary.

AGREE with you 100%. You read my mind! Good interview.